IGNORED

Fun with Arcade vs. 2600 screen shots!

Flojomojo

Well these aren't arcade, but the theme is similar... (and anyway, with thrust thing we've gone off the arcade bent anyway.) (and zylons stellar track post,)

Pick 'N Pile Apple IIGS (etc), 2600

trouble.gifb_PickNPile_back.jpg

Acid Drop (still cant find orig pics of acid drop. help?)

s_AcidDrop_5.png

Summer Games (c64, 2600)

summer_games_05.gifs_SummerGames_4.png

Winter Games

winter_games_09.gifs_WinterGames_4.png

California Games

california_games_01.gifs_CaliforniaGames_1.png

california_games_04.gifs_CaliforniaGames_3.png

california_games_07.gifs_SummerGames_6.png

california_games_03.gifs_SummerGames_7.png

california_games_05.gifs_SummerGames_8.png

Ghost Busters

ghostbusters_03.gifs_Ghostbusters_1.png

ghostbusters_02.gifs_Ghostbusters_2.png

Ghostbusters 2

ghostbusters_ii_02.gifs_Ghostbusters2_1.png

Hardball / Pete Rose Baseball (very close, you'll see.)

hardball_03.gifs_PeteRoseBaseball_4.png

Hmmm, upon thinking about this some more, I think the best way to set this up would be to not just include screenshots from the arcade name of the same name, but to include shots for *all systems* that a game was released on, including different Atari systems. I can make this information available on each game's Profile Page, and also make a separate page that lists each game for which comparison shots are available. I think this would be a pretty cool resource when done. :)

..Al

Hmmm, upon thinking about this some more, I think the best way to set this up would be to not just include screenshots from the arcade name of the same name, but to include shots for *all systems* that a game was released on, including different Atari systems.  I can make this information available on each game's Profile Page, and also make a separate page that lists each game for which comparison shots are available.  I think this would be a pretty cool resource when done.  :)

..Al

I wouldn't go so far as to say "game of the same name," because as this thread has demonstrated, some games are sufficiently different so as to not really be arcade game ports.

And you probably don't have enough server space to put shots of every version of a Star Wars game. :jango:

I wouldn't go so far as to say "game of the same name," because as this thread has demonstrated, some games are sufficiently different so as to not really be arcade game ports.

You're right, what I really meant was games that are obviously derived from another game. Generally I'm only interested where there is some direct lineage. For instance, linking the Arcade, 2600 and 5200 versions of Crystal Castles, and as time allows, showing some other versions of the same game (other consoles and home computers). :)

And you probably don't have enough server space to put shots of every version of a Star Wars game.  :jango:

That in itself would make an interesting gallery. :)

..Al

sounds pretty cool to me. That way you wouldnt have to steal mame.dk bandwidth by having all these links

Makes you wonder if they wouldn't have had to close their ROM doors even IF they didn't get threatened with lawsuits. The way they bitch made me feel like my $600 a month was small potatoes!

What is the last Pac-Man screenshot on page 3 from?

I assume you are talking about this one:

s_PacMan_Ebivision_2.png

That would be Ebivision's unreleased Pac-Man. I know a few copies were given away, but that's about it. I personally think it would look better without the blank lines. :)

..Al

Ebivision's Pac-Man is only 4K, correct? Just like the original Atari Pac?

As opposed to the 8K Ms. Pac/Pac Arcade carts.

BTW, did you know the chopper in Chopper Command is actually a background image (not a sprite)?

Sorry, but I have to correct you here, the chopper is a "sprite".

Nope, now I have to correct you. Source: IEEE Spectrum, 1983:

"After they had exploited variations on player graphics, programmers turned to other areas of the Stella chip to look for tricks. One early discovery was that they could write the playfield - a low resolution background 40 bits across - on the fly. Al Miller did this in Surround, where each block in a 40 by 24 grid can be turned on or off independently. The technique was used by Mr. Whitehead in Chopper Command to create an extra player object - the chopper the player commands "

Only if you were squash it into a horizontal configuration.  That aspect of the 5200 really bugged me --- then and now.

I know what you mean, but given how much more it looks, sounds, and PLAYS like the original compared to the 2600 version, it's still a quantum leap ahead. And for the best home version ever, I'll probably stick to the Commodore 64 anyway. :D

The C64, 5200, Atari 8-bit and Colecovision versions all play roughly the same to me, and all are just too messed up with the timing on the long horizontal runs to be arcade-like in my opinion. The Pac-Man Collection that (um, I'm terrible with names and nicks....) is working on for the Colecovision is more my speed, and the NES version for ones I've actually played (I kinda like the GBA version actually, even the "Arrangement" one...)

One of my old game writing goals is to do a NES-style Pac-Man for the C64, and I got as far as drawing out the playfield using hacked character graphics the last time I looked at it. Of course the multicolored monsters and fruits are important to me too, as is the font in which the score is displayed ;)

Rob

Nope, now I have to correct you.  Source: IEEE Spectrum, 1983:

"...The technique was used by Mr. Whitehead in Chopper Command to create an extra player object - the chopper the player commands "

Sorry, but this info is 100% wrong!

1. Any playfield can only move in steps of 1 playfield pixel = 4 "sprite" pixel. This would cause a very jumpy horizontal movement (like the cave in vanguard). This is not happening here.

2. If you analyze a screenshot of the game you can calculate the size of each player chopper pixel. It should be 1/80th of the screen width, and not 1/40th.

Now I wonder if this was only a typo. Maybe they where just refering to another game.

That would be Ebivision's unreleased Pac-Man. I know a few copies were given away' date=' but that's about it. I personally think it would look better without the blank lines. :)[/quote']

They could have flickered the maze and the dots at 30Hz to maintain the white dots and the maze's integrity. But then their company would have to have been called "Epilepsivision".

Rob