IGNORED

Fun with Arcade vs. 2600 screen shots!

Flojomojo

for more fun zylon bane basing (zbb?) check the end of this thread :

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...=19705&start=75

yes, I agree. too much negativity.

I'm not bashing him. I think he has intelligent info and opinions for the most part. I think he just has a habit of expressing them in a negative fashion.

Well thrust was not an arcade game that I was aware of? information to the contrary?

No, it's based on the c64 version (which is somehow related to Gravitar). But since there are already a few other, non arcade shots I thought I should just ask for it. :)

and maybe if I HAD a thrust plus I had paid for about a year ago... eh?

Ouch! There it comes again... :sad:

I hope you don't have any bad feelings about me.

nah, TJ, I'm keeping the faith....

Well, let's see what we can come up with...

Thrust c64 vs atari vs gba vs Atari ST (Thrust, Oids (mac also),) vs Amiga (Zarathrusta, Fly Harder) vs NES (Solar Jet Man,) vs Genesis (Subterrania)

thrust_02.gifs_ThrustPlus_SP_2.png

gc_thrust.jpg1850.gif

oids_001_l.jpgGPod.jpg

flyharder.png1033789674-00.jpeg

Sub_Terrania-2.gif

you could do this forever too. :-)

There are SOOOO many thrust games on the amiga, especially pd/etc. Tons from magazine cover disks/etc. My favorite has always been the commercial Amiga game 'Dr. Plummets House of Flux' I can't find any screenshots anywhere, so if you want to, try :-)

nah, TJ, I'm keeping the faith....

Well, let's see what we can come up with...

Thrust   c64 vs atari vs gba vs Atari ST (Thrust, Oids (mac also),) vs Amiga (Zarathrusta, Fly Harder) vs NES (Solar Jet Man,) vs Genesis (Subterrania)

So it really IS Solar Jetman - I wondered if there was a link, when I played Thrust at the Expo they seemed similar. Thomas gets props either way - for a good original game if it just coincidentally is similar or for a great translation if it's based on the same thing. But I take it some of these other Thrusts came well before it? So which Thrust is first?

i own all the games i posted pics of (u cant really own the homebrew gba rom, tho.) and more. I love the gravitar/thrust gameplay. there are a TON more games like that. Solar Jet Man is a LOT of fun. It's a 'Rare' game (ive loved rares games since they were 'ultimate play the game' on the c=64. Blackwyche rocks, and their early Egyptian adventure, cant remember the title. Also own their 'Imhotep' on tape. They loved egyptian stuff back then...)

Wow Godzilla!! I love all the comparisons with the arcade (and other) games and their 2600 counterparts. It's definitely time to add support for this directly into our database so you can more easily see screenshots from the "original" game when looking up a title that was derived from something else.

Do you have raw screenshots from all the games you posted images of? I noticed that most of them have been reduced in size, and I would prefer to use images that haven't been altered like that. Did you take those shots yourself or grab them from another source? If you (and others!) want to start sending me screen captures from all these games, that would help me immensely!

..Al

They are all linked from mame.dk or klov where applicable.

you should be able to right click on them and save them, and they should save as the original full file. at the suggestion of others i used html to even out the image sizes. The atari screenshots are linked from your own site :-) Took a lot of work just to put it all together the way I did. I couldn't imagine how long it would take making mame screen shots of each one by hand... I was thinking this thread would make a really neat part of your site. If you need the html, let me know :-)

They are all linked from mame.dk or klov where applicable.

Ahh yes, I see that now. Unfortunately the original shots are already reduced in size. And I don't want to use screenshots from another site without permission. Even if I did get permission, because they have been reduced in size I'm not sure I'd want to use them. Which means I'd need to load up each game in MAME and take screen captures myself. I would not object to any volunteers to help take screenshots. :)

..Al

Which means I'd need to load up each game in MAME and take screen captures myself.  I would not object to any volunteers to help take screenshots.  :)

I wouldn't mind taking this on. It's the sort of thing I do at work anyway, so it'd go quickly.

I do seem to have trouble locating ROMs that work with the latest version of MAME though. Dagnabbit. Anyone have any suggestions now that mame.dk isn't hosting ROMs anymore?

Which means I'd need to load up each game in MAME and take screen captures myself.  I would not object to any volunteers to help take screenshots.  :)

I wouldn't mind taking this on. It's the sort of thing I do at work anyway, so it'd go quickly.

I do seem to have trouble locating ROMs that work with the latest version of MAME though. Dagnabbit. Anyone have any suggestions now that mame.dk isn't hosting ROMs anymore?

Ummm... they host roms. You need to login. 8)