IGNORED

S-Video

GKC

Really? this is an example of your logic?!? I'm only replying to this because everything in your 1 and 2 replies has absolutely no bearing what so ever on my argument.

This is not my logic, it is YOUR logic you are attempting to transpose onto me. I need say nothing more here as your ignorance shines through on my behalf all by itself in this part of your reply.

Ugh, you have to drag me back to this thread by calling me ignorant... How many times to I have to politely ask that you quit calling me names?

I'm not going to disagree with you here, per se, It's all theoretically sound, and works until your mind gets a chance to see the difference side-by-side. In real life, I have both side-by-side, a 15khz RGB CRT 480i displaing a 240p image and a 30Khz SVGA CRT progressive monitor, and the difference is very distinct. All other details of how the Jag image is displayed on these monitors I have stated and repeated before, just put on your reading comprehension cap and read my previous posts.

The first problem with your logic is that your sample size is so small. Your VGA monitor and your RGB monitor(s) is what you are basing everything on. I'll start at the beginning.

I'm not even sure where to start, but a 480p picture most definitely looks better than the 240p because no scan lines are skipped, it's not making it higher res, but it is doubling the scan lines and is a much more solid and colorful image, and sharper as a result.

but filling in the skipped scan lines of a 240p picture will always give a sharper, more colorful and solid picture by not having black scan lines every other line.

You keep referring to "scan lines skipped" as the basis of your argument. Just because a display is interlaced does not mean there are these giant black lines alternating on the screen. Looking at my CRT's (19" SD and 26" HD) I have yet to see this phenomena. Why? Because while the electron gun is only beaming odd and even fields at the phosphores tubes, the phosphorous tubes have persistance. They hold their glow and don't immediately turn black. This and ZeroSquares statement of the beam being larger than a scan line, results in a very stable image. With a 240p source, you are always seeing all of the detail the Jaguar is putting out.

Here are a bunch of RGB screenshots of a Game Gear modified with RGB out: http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/segahacking/ggrgbgallery.html I chose these screens because they are all zoomed in (an RGB modified Game Gear has giant boarders are the playing field). Do you see "scan line skipped"? No. You see the a pixel perfect representation of the display. And you see the same Dot Pitch effects you would in a progressive CRT or LCD at magnification. And like all CRTs, bright colors, and red, the glow of the phosphors blends into each other, eliminating the space between the pixels anyway.

So, this eliminates your "solid" argument. As for "a more colorful" image... CRT is CRT, it produces the best color and contrast you can have, surpassing any modern LCD and Plasma on the market to this day. A progressive scan CRT has no additional ability to produce the color spectrum than an interlaced monitor. Not all CRT's are created equal. Your aging RGB displays are not producing the same vibrant colors they once did, making your VGA display superior. Does this mean every single RGB display in the world is inferior to every VGA display in the world? No. Or maybe that's my ignorance talking.

Really? this is an example of your logic?!? I'm only replying to this because everything in your 1 and 2 replies has absolutely no bearing what so ever on my argument.
Perhaps it was unfair, but you did state:

more colorful and solid picture by not having black scan lines every other line.

You state that every other line was black. If this were true, then everything would be half as bright. But alas, "having black scan lines every other line" is not true, thus interlaced displays have enjoyed full brightness and color reproduction.

The best you can hope for with converting the 15khz RGB single to 31kHz VGA is parity. There is not technical way to get more detail, color, solidity, or sharpness (and any other term I may have missed) out of the original signal.

You continue to completely ignore that I have told you of first hand experience on several occasions.

Not only have I not ignored this, I have repeated 3 times that your VGA monitor looks better than your RGB monitor. Second, if we are playing the "first hand experience" game. I'll side with ZeroSquare, as he has far more "first hand experience" than you. He lives in France and has far more "first-hand experience" with RGB monitor than you or I will ever have.

You have a cliff notes education in these matters it appears to me. Sorry to offend, but facts are facts

Not that it matters, but I have an associates degree (microcomputers) and am working on my second (audio/video production). Hardly a "cliff notes education."

Edited by kgenthe
  • Like 3

I've decided to just put my money where my mouth is on this "having black scan lines every other line" business. Following shots are from my 19" Sanyo (composite video from a Sega CDX). Shot at 1/60 of a second speed (to be sure the odd and even field weren't both being exposed) and using a tripod with a 2 second delay (to eliminate blur). 10 mega pixels. (click on the photo for a higher-res version on Flickr).

5321473336_d022ccc8cb.jpg

5320866709_e3d3d44898.jpg

5321465302_b2dfbed4a3.jpg

5320860527_f190107205.jpg

5321459050_bff3135c63.jpg

Here is a full-resolution file for examination as well, where you can see each phosphor from the CRT:

http://implantgames.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG_0238.jpg

No black lines, surprise.

Edited by kgenthe
  • Like 4

Well nevermind looks like my new TV I bought last week doesn't even have a S-video plug-in. Well that narrows it down to composite for me.

Best Buy is on my list. Their floor model of my TV had S-video, it was one of the reasons I chose it over a different brand :x

Haven't read the three pages of whining & whatnot, but get a $2 s-video to composite adaptor.

Well nevermind looks like my new TV I bought last week doesn't even have a S-video plug-in. Well that narrows it down to composite for me.

Best Buy is on my list. Their floor model of my TV had S-video, it was one of the reasons I chose it over a different brand :x

Haven't read the three pages of whining & whatnot, but get a $2 s-video to composite adaptor.

That will work, but there will also be a large reduction in quality.

the S-Video Looks great though 'pixels' are clearly sectioned when displayed on my 22" LG LCD Tv screen. still looks very crisp though. my lead was a polish 'home brew' i bought of ebay.

i have bought an ambery AV-1 rgb to vga converter and will be harwiring it into my jag case if i can fit it in:)

ill post pics when its done:)

OMG! - I am soo sorry that you are using an RF connection to use your Jaguar - the Jag RF box had much interference problems and are just terrible. My condolences go out to you. :P

Yes, you can hook up S-Video or composite video right to the back of the Jaguar - but yes the video/audio cable needs to be specially made for the Jag. No need to pay $40-$50+ for one though, here is a quality Jag A/V cable that includes BOTH composite and S-video hookups for a good price: http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/prodgame/advert-g4.htm

I'd be careful dealing with this person. Sent him money on Nov 27 (noticed his last post here is Nov 28), as of today no product and does not reply to emails.

OMG! - I am soo sorry that you are using an RF connection to use your Jaguar - the Jag RF box had much interference problems and are just terrible. My condolences go out to you. :P

Yes, you can hook up S-Video or composite video right to the back of the Jaguar - but yes the video/audio cable needs to be specially made for the Jag. No need to pay $40-$50+ for one though, here is a quality Jag A/V cable that includes BOTH composite and S-video hookups for a good price: http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/prodgame/advert-g4.htm

I'd be careful dealing with this person. Sent him money on Nov 27 (noticed his last post here is Nov 28), as of today no product and does not reply to emails.

I ordered a Jag AV cable from him before Christmas, just got it last week, I think he builds them as needed.

So shipping may be a little slow, but the product is good.

Make sure you send an email with your paypal receipt, as there is a disconnect there (it is mentioned on the order page)

He's definitely a trust worthy guy. I've spent a few hundred on his products and always get them. He recently started a new job and has been really busy. I won't make excuses for long time to ship orders, but he is definitely not going to take your money and run.

• Like 1

I ordered a Jag AV cable from him before Christmas, just got it last week, I think he builds them as needed.

Make sure you send an email with your paypal receipt, as there is a disconnect there (it is mentioned on the order page)

That just makes me more worried. I ordered mine a month before you and still nothing.

I disputed my purchase with PayPal a day before my 45 days was up and PayPal says he has not responded to their email sent on 1/10/11 (as of today) either.

So if anyone knows how to get his attention please let me know because it does not sound like someone who is out to rip people off.

That just makes me more worried. I ordered mine a month before you and still nothing.

I disputed my purchase with PayPal a day before my 45 days was up and PayPal says he has not responded to their email sent on 1/10/11 (as of today) either.

So if anyone knows how to get his attention please let me know because it does not sound like someone who is out to rip people off.

Went back and checked my emails, I ordered the cable on 25-Oct.

During checkout there was a message to forward the paypal receipt to another email address. Apparently, he won't know you paid unless you do that. Strange way to run a business. That said, I did get my cable, and it works well.

If I run into him online, I will certainly pass along the message. It's been a while since I have heard from him as well.

Hi,

Yes, I am still here. I only have 4 to 5 hours a week to make things, and some things take a long time as I have to start from scratch. I got the full time job because things had died down to where I was spending almost no time on orders. Wouldn't you know I'd have a rush the first week of the new job while still working the old one for a couple of weeks longer!

I am trying to fill orders first come, but making extra for stock as well. One at a time is ineficient. Long bouts of (now slow) emailing back and forth with questions puts that order(if one) at the end of the queue.

The biggest delay has been in getting the tube cases for the A8 and Jaguar AV BOB made...a whole new faster and more accurate system has resulted. And 50 cases in stage one. But I still need good weather to paint and finish them. A set of those orders is in final assembly.

Orders have been going out in batches per my main web page.

I don't know about paypal "redirect" issues. As stated earlier, since I have no way to protect my paypal email address on my web pages from spam, all email sent to it is considered trash. I have to go and look at paypal for orders. My responses will be from my site or from gmail due to some places that don't like my website.

And again as stated, if you don't want to wait, don't order. I will eventually read emails. If there is one that wants a refund, I'll process it. My current policy on Paypal disputes is a refund and the order gets trashed-I just don't have the time to mess with it. Obviously you didn't read the main web page notes. If you have a dispute and still want the product, cancel the dispute.

Even if it were not for work, Thanksgiving thru New Years is way hectic. Less free time than normal.

I am trying to post updates on my main page.

I am catching up and building to a big new batch of shipments soon.

Rick D

MTG

• Like 3

Hi,

Yes, I am still here. I only have 4 to 5 hours a week to make things, and some things take a long time as I have to start from scratch. I got the full time job because things had died down to where I was spending almost no time on orders. Wouldn't you know I'd have a rush the first week of the new job while still working the old one for a couple of weeks longer!

I am trying to fill orders first come, but making extra for stock as well. One at a time is ineficient. Long bouts of (now slow) emailing back and forth with questions puts that order(if one) at the end of the queue.

The biggest delay has been in getting the tube cases for the A8 and Jaguar AV BOB made...a whole new faster and more accurate system has resulted. And 50 cases in stage one. But I still need good weather to paint and finish them. A set of those orders is in final assembly.

I don't know about paypal "redirect" issues. As stated earlier, since I have no way to protect my paypal email address on my web pages from spam, all email sent to it is considered trash. I have to go and look at paypal for orders. My responses will be from my site or from gmail due to some places that don't like my website.

And again as stated, if you don't want to wait, don't order. I will eventually read emails. If there is one that wants a refund, I'll process it. My current policy on Paypal disputes is a refund and the order gets trashed-I just don't have the time to mess with it. Obviously you didn't read the main web page notes. If you have a dispute and still want the product, cancel the dispute.

Even if it were not for work, Thanksgiving thru New Years is way hectic. Less free time than normal.

Rick D

MTG

No I have to admit I did not see everything on the main page when I ordered but did later.

The link posted here takes you right to the ordering screen for the S-VHS adapter. And that screen only says you are working on them as quickly as possible.

I figured 45 days was pretty reasonable especially when someone posted they got their order in just a few weeks but later realized that was not correct.

I have cancelled the Paypal dispute. Look forward to my S-VHS adapter.

Two things might help having other people wondering or worrying about their order:

1. Maybe ovalbugmann could modify his post here to go to the main page instead of the ordering screen. Everyone could see your updates.

2. Tell people up front a better time frame, even make it on the high side. For instance you could say that all new orders may take up to 90 days. I would have still ordered and not even started to be concerned about it.

Thanks for letting us all know your status.

Went back and checked my emails, I ordered the cable on 25-Oct.

During checkout there was a message to forward the paypal receipt to another email address. Apparently, he won't know you paid unless you do that. Strange way to run a business. That said, I did get my cable, and it works well.

Crap. I placed an order on 01/04/11 after seeing this thread here, but I didn't forward the paypal receipt to his email address. Just like Clay, I followed the link in this thread when I made my order and didn't even see the homepage. I just went to Paypal and I can't find a way to do forward my receipt after the fact...does anybody know if there's a way? I'm a little bummed that I'm going to have to wait so much longer for my cables, but I completely understand the reason. It seems there's never time for much outside of work these days.

a8maestro, if you're reading this, is there another way around this? Could I PM you with my order info or something like that?

S-video divides the video between Chroma and Luminance) There are no sound benefits

Actually it is as the sound can be hooked into a soundsystem directly insted of going through the TV so those cables has a soundbenefit against RGB-cables were the sound has to go through the TV

Well nevermind looks like my new TV I bought last week doesn't even have a S-video plug-in. Well that narrows it down to composite for me

You can still use the cable if you got a SCART-adaptor or an C-Videoadaptor that you connect the S-Video into. That leaves the possibilities open when a TV with S-Video is used if the Cable itself supports S-Video and is converted otherwise with those adaptors, depending on wcich one of them you need at the moment

That's sort of correct. The Scart standard pretty much has a pin for everything, RGB, chroma/luminance (s-video), composite, 2 sound channel, etc.

Devices themselves may not use all 21 pins on a scart cables. Cheap DVD players, for example, may only output composite video and sound (which only uses 10 of the pins). Therefore you could buy a Scart cable that only has those 10 pins and save a few bucks.

And the SCARTconnections on the usually works like this; If there are two of them on a TV, one of them takes RGB and C-Video while the second one takes S-Video and C-Video. Always good to have in mind ;)

Hi,

Rick D

MTG

No I have to admit I did not see everything on the main page when I ordered but did later.

The link posted here takes you right to the ordering screen for the S-VHS adapter. And that screen only says you are working on them as quickly as possible.

I figured 45 days was pretty reasonable especially when someone posted they got their order in just a few weeks but later realized that was not correct.

I have cancelled the Paypal dispute. Look forward to my S-VHS adapter.

Two things might help having other people wondering or worrying about their order:

1. Maybe ovalbugmann could modify his post here to go to the main page instead of the ordering screen. Everyone could see your updates.

2. Tell people up front a better time frame, even make it on the high side. For instance you could say that all new orders may take up to 90 days. I would have still ordered and not even started to be concerned about it.

Thanks for letting us all know your status.

Wanted to let everyone know that a8maestro sent me an email on Friday 28 January and said he was finally getting caught up and my cable would be in the mail on Saturday.

True to his word, got the cable yesterday and I'll be the first to admit it is a great quality build.

• Like 1

S-video divides the video between Chroma and Luminance) There are no sound benefits

Actually it is as the sound can be hooked into a soundsystem directly insted of going through the TV so those cables has a soundbenefit against RGB-cables were the sound has to go through the TV

True enough (something like a ScatBox would offer the best of both worlds)

That's sort of correct. The Scart standard pretty much has a pin for everything, RGB, chroma/luminance (s-video), composite, 2 sound channel, etc.

Devices themselves may not use all 21 pins on a scart cables. Cheap DVD players, for example, may only output composite video and sound (which only uses 10 of the pins). Therefore you could buy a Scart cable that only has those 10 pins and save a few bucks.

And the SCARTconnections on the usually works like this; If there are two of them on a TV, one of them takes RGB and C-Video while the second one takes S-Video and C-Video. Always good to have in mind ;)

Good to know, not having Scart connections in the US, it's hard to sift through articles and figure out what's what. It doesn't appear that S-Video was that common on Scart connections, as they replaced a couple of the RGBs lines?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I thought it would be appropriate for me to mention that I received the cables today and they work well. Total time from placing my order to receiving them is a little over 9 weeks. I don't say that to bash a8maestro - he makes a good product and he is definitely reliable, and as he posted above, his work situation changed which affected the time he has to make the cables. The guy needs to have a life too, outside of work and catering to our orders! Just an FYI for those looking into ordering the cables, since I had no idea whether he had received my order until he emailed me on 02/28/11.

• Like 1

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I thought it would be appropriate for me to mention that I received the cables today and they work well. Total time from placing my order to receiving them is a little over 9 weeks. I don't say that to bash a8maestro - he makes a good product and he is definitely reliable, and as he posted above, his work situation changed which affected the time he has to make the cables. The guy needs to have a life too, outside of work and catering to our orders! Just an FYI for those looking into ordering the cables, since I had no idea whether he had received my order until he emailed me on 02/28/11.

Since you have one maybe you can answer a question for me about the cable. Is this cable only for S-video? I have 2 different TV's I'd like to be able to use it on, one is my big LCD TV which does have S-video, the other is my old CRT tv that only has the red, white, yellow RCA connectors. Will this cable work with both or is it just for S-video, I looked on the ordering page and wasn't really able to tell if it can be used for both.

Since you have one maybe you can answer a question for me about the cable. Is this cable only for S-video? I have 2 different TV's I'd like to be able to use it on, one is my big LCD TV which does have S-video, the other is my old CRT tv that only has the red, white, yellow RCA connectors. Will this cable work with both or is it just for S-video, I looked on the ordering page and wasn't really able to tell if it can be used for both.

These cables do apparently have a video composite cable, but it's different than the cable in the picture on the site. This one sticks out of the back of the Jag and is only about 4" long. So these cables could work for both your TVs, but for your CRT, you would need to run a second video cable from the jack near the back of the Jag to your TV. The cables would work just fine as-is on your LCD TV.

Edited by PFG 9000

These cables do apparently have a video composite cable, but it's different than the cable in the picture on the site. This one sticks out of the back of the Jag and is only about 4" long. So these cables could work for both your TVs, but for your CRT, you would need to run a second video cable from the jack near the back of the Jag to your TV. The cables would work just fine as-is on your LCD TV.

Any chance you could post photos? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by there being a 4" cable on it.