IGNORED

Spectre Mac Partition Migration

Goochman

So I got DiskCopy loaded in Spectre - for some reason it doesnt seem to want to work - not sure if others have tried. It starts, allows me to pick a /DSK image and then asks for a floppy to be inserted - it then errors with a -17 code. I cant seem to write any .DSK images which is a bummer since I have System 6.0.8 but cant get it........

I also got DropStuff installed - It complained that it wants System 7.x to run :(

Oh well - hopefully the next Spectre user will benefit from my trials :)

I also have run into a weird problem where Stuffit/Disk Copy and other apps wont work with Spectre formatted disks (Floppy or HD) - I had to initialize them in Mac mode for these apps to work with them.

• 1 month later...

So,

After some fiddling I got my Spectre 128 to boot into Mac mode again - Joy!

It seems the Spectre software doesnt like the 16mhz Ad-Speed upgrade. When in 16mhz mode the memory shows up double the size and nothing works :(

Anyhow - I have 2 Mac partitions I want to move to my UltraSatan II - any thoughts on how I might accomplish getting the System and other programs moved????

My Mac skills have vanished over the years!

So I'm guessing it probably won't work on a Mega STe, TT or Falcon then since a CPU faster than 8mhz messes everything up. :(

So,

After some fiddling I got my Spectre 128 to boot into Mac mode again - Joy!

It seems the Spectre software doesnt like the 16mhz Ad-Speed upgrade. When in 16mhz mode the memory shows up double the size and nothing works :(

Anyhow - I have 2 Mac partitions I want to move to my UltraSatan II - any thoughts on how I might accomplish getting the System and other programs moved????

My Mac skills have vanished over the years!

So I'm guessing it probably won't work on a Mega STe, TT or Falcon then since a CPU faster than 8mhz messes everything up. :(

Not sure - but if I start Spectre in 8mhz mode its fine and then flip the 16mhz switch when the Mac boots and didnt observe any problems after that.

Where can I get Spectre 3.1? I have a TT030 and spent hours trying to boot to System 6.08. No luck. My mega 2st works fine from same System floppy. Can I get a copy from you please. 8-). My TT with 19" TTM195 would be real happy. Thanks, tj

Not sure - but if I start Spectre in 8mhz mode its fine and then flip the 16mhz switch when the Mac boots and didnt observe any problems after that.

Spectre GCR 3.1 works with the Atari TT ... !

• 9 months later...

I wanted to update this thread - I found an old version of PKZIP (DOS version) - I read somewhere that the Windows version of StuffIT actually corrupts Mac files when expanded so I decided to use PKZIP to zip the archives and then use the Transfer utility to move it. I used Unary as the file type, Leave LFs and set the type/creator to bin/zip. These transferred without a hitch and Stuffit 4.01 on the Mac side could read an expand the files.

So I can now move stuff I find that is not in .DSK format. I also found out that .DSK and .IMG files are for use with emulators and cant be opened on a real Mac (though with a newer version of diskcopy it might be possible).

I still cant get the 6.0.8 System disks from Apple to work though.......they complain aoub tbeing written to floppy which is a bummer......

• 11 years later...
On 10/3/2011 at 8:07 PM, Goochman said:

This site says Spectre 3.0, though it indicates it works with the TT - is that version 3.1?

Anyway someone can post an 800k Spectre image with System 6.0.8 (and the Finder version that goes with it)?

I am looking fort the same.

On 10/29/2010 at 7:47 AM, Goochman said:

Hey Jens - I think it would help my cause if I got a Mac running under emulation to test some stuff.

It appears there isnt alot of love for the old Mac Classic or 68000 versions. I dont think System 7.5.x runs on these systems (I have 6.1 or 6.4 of the Finder).

I basically have a 16mhz 68000 Mac with 1.5 megs of RAM.

Ill see about getting a newer version of StuffIt - not sure if they still want me to license it :)

I dont have a real Macintosh - just my ST emulation. Its alot of fun playing with an 'old Mac' though - you forgot how simple things used to be!

It was a cool selling point in the day - buy an ST, with Spectre, and run Mac productivity software faster and less for the price of a real Mac.  Games could be tricky, but the ST already did games and most games were available on both systems anyhow... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goochman said:

My 250mb image posted in this thread has 6.0.8 on it

How did you get Spectre to use that 608 image when using an Ultrasatan or acsi2stm device on a real ST?

I tried everything I know, I could not get the Spectre 2.6.5 software to see or boot from your image.

Edited by Jfcatari

9 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

How did you get Spectre to use that 608 image when using an Ultrasatan or acsi2stm device on a real ST?

Ultrasatan - write the image (not the file) straight to sdcard and stick it in the second slot.  I don't know about Spectre 2.6.5 as I don't use it, but Spectre 3.0 sure boots it.

9 hours ago, remowilliams said:

Ultrasatan - write the image (not the file) straight to sdcard and stick it in the second slot.  I don't know about Spectre 2.6.5 as I don't use it, but Spectre 3.0 sure boots it.

I did try that using dd which I normally do with all of my images I move to the Ultra Satan.

I think Spectre 2.6.5 does not support that image type.

Do you happen to have the version of Spectre 3.0 that does not require the ROMS on a cart?  I have 2.6.5 patched like this, but have been looking for 3.0.

Thanks for all of the help.  Spectre 3.0 was the answer!

I got the 100MB scsi with system 6.0.8 image running on my STE.

It works with the ICD and the HDDriver HD drivers.

It also works with the UltraSatan (dd the image out to the SD card raw device /dev/sdX) and the acsi2stm devices (copy the image to acsi2stm/hd0.img on a exfat formatted SD card)

Also the setup above with Spectre 3.0 also works perfectly on the Atari ST core running on the MiSTer.

Unfortunately, the setup crashes on Hatari 2.4.1 when running under linux.  The MAC is doing some of it's funny page zero magic and it crashes the Hatari emulator.

Edited by Jfcatari