IGNORED

Puzzle games for X-Box 360

atari2600land

During the early years of Xbox Live on the original Xbox, you had to tie your account to a credit card. You couldn't even activate a trial membership card included with a game or activate the card included in a Xbox Live starter kit without inputting your credit card information on the original Xbox.

And you couldn't easily set your account to not auto renew, even if it was just a trial. I remember wasting several hours once on the phone with them during the early days to cancel a Xbox Live trial before it renewed and charged my account. Now, at least that's easy enough to set on the 360.

Thankfully they've moved away from that with the Xbox 360. I much prefer buying point and subscription cards at retail for various reasons.

Edited by Atariboy

What I mean is I don't know how to hook my X-Box 360 up to the internet.

If you can get your computer on the internet (which you obviously can ;)) then you can handle getting the 360 on as well. Just plug in an ethernet cable and you're good to go. The other option is to go wireless...which is similar to getting a laptop on the internet wirelessly.

Hopefully you can figure it out, because I find an internetless XBox 360 to be severely crippled :)

• 4 weeks later...

Even though much of this discussion was off topic, Microsoft has now removed the option to turn off auto renewal.

I wonder if those of us that set it to not auto renew prior to this have had that reset to auto renew?

You won't have to change anything. My account at Xbox.com says auto-renewal is turned off. Looks like the assholes are forcing everyone to call them to cancel auto-renewal. That should be illegal.

LOL I have so many live hours on my Xbox (something like 4 years) that by the time " autorenew " comes up for er...automatically renewing my account, er...the card won't be valid anymore :P

Why would you have to pay for the account anyways? I got something like 80 months for free out of games that I already had :P Even many games you get from gamestop are this way, as most people can't be bothered to put in a one month card.. Seriously, if you only get one game a month, you should be covered. :P

One easy way to stop auto-renew is to buy an xbox live pre-paid card (even 1 month) and enter it in. Once you enter in a pre-pay, that automatically stops all auto-renew even if you have a Credit Card in there.

As for me, thankfully my Credit Card (Citibank) allows me to generate "virtual account numbers" that can only be used once and expire in a month anyway. They are explicitely intended to use for online purchases in order to disguise your true CC number. Well it works out perfect for Xbox Live because I just use that and voila.. it can only be used once! :P I managed to get my original credit card info out of xbox live doing this because when I entered the 2nd number in, I finally was able to delete my original info.

Why would you have to pay for the account anyways? I got something like 80 months for free out of games that I already had :P Even many games you get from gamestop are this way, as most people can't be bothered to put in a one month card.. Seriously, if you only get one game a month, you should be covered. :P

Are you saying new games always give you free xbox live time? I never knew this...

Any of the games I've purchased that include free online time (and not all games do) give you a 2 Day Pass at best, so if there is a way to get 30 days out of one game purchase, I'd really like to know the secret.

As for renewal's, I'm never faced with this dilemma because if I need XBL Points or a Gold Membership Pass, I just make an "Online Purchase" from Amazon and get an instant code to type in on XboxLive. I never have to run to the store to buy a card or give MS my CC number.

Mendon

Any of the games I've purchased that include free online time (and not all games do) give you a 2 Day Pass at best

Agreed, I've never seen 1 month passes included with games only 48 hours passes.

What's the secret to getting 80 free months Video?

Any of the games I've purchased that include free online time (and not all games do) give you a 2 Day Pass at best

Agreed, I've never seen 1 month passes included with games only 48 hours passes.

What's the secret to getting 80 free months Video?

Maybe he's really gotten RROD 80 times.