IGNORED

Curious about Sega Genesis

SlowCoder

I think it is because they are so ridiculously common right now. I think that the Genesis is in the "clean out the closet and put this junk on ebay/in a garage sale" phase of its life, so I imagine that in another 5 years or so the prices will come up a bit.

I wouldn't pay more than about $10 for a decent-looking system with controllers and hookups right now.

Sega Genesis is a nice system to collect for, but there are many available in the marketplace. Be aware that there were actually about 7-8 variants of the console released. The earliest consoles have "High Definition Graphics" boldly printed on top, and most importantly, do not have TMSS, a routine Sega later implemented for verifying that any game cart was "officially licensed" by Sega for the system. These consoles tend to be the more highly valued among Genesis systems because they play even the earliest 3rd party games from EA. TMSS systems will not play some early EA games, so be forewarned.

Next, there is another "model I" system that still has the "High Definition Graphics" logo on top, but does have TMSS in the system BIOS. The way you will know it has TMSS is to start the system with a game inserted. If it immediately goes to the game's start screen then it does not have TMSS. If the system first takes you to a screen where you see "Produced By or Under License From Sega Enterprises LTD.", then it has TMSS. This is less desirable among collectors.

Then there is the model I console that does not have "High Definition Graphics" across the top of the console. It has TMSS.

Next are the model II variants. These are known by their slimmer and more aerodynamic styling. Turn these consoles over and look through the vent slots and you will see a tinned RF shield. Some model II's had a full motherboard that went all the way across the vent slots while others had the 3/4 motherboard that only goes partly across the vent slots. Some were made in Taiwan, some in Japan, and others in China. It gets muddled, but to hardcore Genesis collectors, there is an optimal motherboard in these model II's that had the clearest video and sound outputs. My guess is that the average buyer on ebay has no knowledge of this though. For better details of the motherboard differences, see here.

Finally, there is the smallest of the Genesis consoles, the model III, released in the later 1990's by Majesco under license from Sega. These are somewhat sought after because of their smaller footprint. They simply take up less shelf space on your entertainment center. Only thing to be warned about on the model II's is that they are not compatible with tghe Sega CD or 32X peripheral add-ons. Also, there is something different about the CPU chip in these that does not allow them to play Virtua Racing and a couple others.

Hope that helps.

• Like 4

I really don't understand the price gap between snes and genesis though.

Greater demand for SNES and SNES games? More folks hold on to their SNES? More overall nostalgia for Nintendo systems than for Sega systems? Apparently SNES sold almost twice as many units as the Genesis, so it isn't like it's more rare. http://retro.ign.com/articles/965/965032p1.html

I really don't understand the price gap between snes and genesis though.

Greater demand for SNES and SNES games? More folks hold on to their SNES? More overall nostalgia for Nintendo systems than for Sega systems? Apparently SNES sold almost twice as many units as the Genesis, so it isn't like it's more rare. http://retro.ign.com/articles/965/965032p1.html

It was more meant to be me saying that i think the genesis is worth more.

Next, there is another "model I" system that still has the "High Definition Graphics" logo on top, but does have TMSS in the system BIOS. The way you will know it has TMSS is to start the system with a game inserted. If it immediately goes to the game's start screen then it does not have TMSS. If the system first takes you to a screen where you see "Produced By or Under License From Sega Enterprises LTD.", then it has TMSS. This is less desirable among collectors.

You can actually tell 100% if a genesis is TMSS free just by looking at the FCC ID on the bottom. The TMSS free consoles were (all? or mostly) the ones that came with Altered Beast. If a genesis has the FCC number FJ846EUSASEGA then it does not have TMSS.

Wow, you guys have provided some really great info! Basically, I was thinking the Genesis was in that awkward state between "just old", and "collectible". Just wasn't sure, because I've never seriously looked at them in the past.

So if I'm going to do it, I suppose now would be the best time to do it. Time to get to it, then!

Also, Nintendo has done a lot to keep the brand relevant, where Sega for obvious reasons, can seem like a has-been. Even Super Mario World can bring in a couple of bucks, while you can't give the original Sonic away.

Personally, if I had to choose, I'd keep my Genesis that I've had for 15 years. Thankfully, I DON'T have to choose. icon_mrgreen.gif

I have no interest in "collectability" other than collecting fun stuff that's in good shape and that I'll have fun with now and again. I really like the model 2. The old model is huge and clunky to me (just an opinion) with no stereo output on the AV cable. The Genesis 3 just looks and feels (and is) cheap to me, and the incompatibility with the 32X and Virtua Racing cartridges are turn-offs as V.R. (with or without 32x) is (to me) a huge feather in the Genesis' cap, and the 32x is a nice toy since you're getting a Genesis anyway; it's not like they're $149 anymore (mine was $6). The model 3 also comes with a monaural A/V cable - not a big deal to put it in the garbage and buy another, though.

Of course, none of this is for an investment. I think I'd turn to gold coins if I wanted to really collect for investment. I just collect for fun.

Edited by wood_jl

The systems are cheap, as you can tell. If you want one complete with instructions and a nice box, you can probably expect to pay between $20 and $30, maybe slightly more, unless you are able to scour some local fleamarkets or thrifts, or have a local independent shop that unloads them cheap. Obviously box-less systems are the cheapest way to go. I would suggest either a Model 1 or Model 2 system in case your curiosity extends to wanting to try out the Sega CD or 32X down the road. Or just a Model 1 if you would like to try out the Power Base Converter (Play Master System games on your Genesis 1 without modification to the converter itself).

To clarify, the Model 2 can be used with the 32X and Sega CD; 32X has compat issues with some games on it, but the CD has none, and came in two models, one for the Model 1 that looked more like a stereo console setup, had a sliding tray and later a Model 2 with a clamshell opening CD mech. Model 2 will not use the model 1 CD fully, as the audio is setup differently.

Just clarifying.

Genesis is so cheap because it wasnt as popular as SNES or N64...Nintendo destroyed Sega. Sega sucked until the Dreamcast came out, and that was killed by Sony.

Sega games are just not very desirable. Some are, just like any system, but other than Sonic & Streets of Rage & Ecco and the arcade classics (ex: gauntlet & golden axe)what other big titles did Sega Genesis release that were exclusive titles?

***Mortal Kombat was better than SNES for one reason only... A B A C A B B A = Blood!***

Atleast with the Sega CD there were some really fun shooter games (Snatcher, Lethal Enforcers, Mad Dog McCree to name a few); Dreamcast was loaded with amazing fighting games and RPGs.

I have always regretted choosing the Genesis over the SNES when I was a kid...Thats why I have a monster SNES collection now...and nothing for the Genesis.

If you're seriously considering collecting for the Genesis/32X/CD, then here's what I suggest.

Get yourself an original Model 1 without the lockout. That'll give you the highest compatibility for all original Genesis games. If you want a Master Base converter, this is the one you'll want to use it with, but Master Systems themselves are incredibly cheap as well, so if you want to collect for that system, I'd just get a dedicated MS for the games.

Then, grab a Model 2 and a Model 2 Sega CD and a 32X. This way you can build the "Frankenstein" setup, with the CD and 32X attached simultaneously. This will give you the best compatibility for 32X and Sega CD games, as some CD games used the 32X for extra power (you can tell because they came in a yellow box instead of the light blue CD ones and say clearly on front CD/32X). These games came with 2 discs, one for the original CD and one for the expanded 32X version.

All this should be fairly cheap, too. You can get a 32X for probably 10 to 20 bucks, and a CD for around 50, so for everything here, you're looking at under a hundred dollars. There are hundreds of awesome Genesis games, a couple of ok 32X ones, and several very good Sega CD titles (and the CD has no built-in copy protection, meaning...well, you figure it out).

Is that why the Genesis/Megadrive outsold the SNES worldwide then :roll:

Worldwide sales figures

Nintendo Entertainment System – 61.91 million WINNER

Sega Master System – 13 million

Worldwide sales figures

Game Boy and Game Boy Color combined – 118.69 million, as of 31 December 2009 (2009 -12-31)[update][8][11] (Japan: 32.47 million, the Americas: 44.06 million, other: 42.16 million WINNER

Sega Game Gear – 11 million

Worldwide sales figures

Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom – 49.10 million (Japan: 17.17 million, the Americas: 23.35 million, Other: 8.58 million) WINNER

Mega Drive/Genesis – United States: 20 million, Rest of the world: 15 million

Nintendo 64 – 32.93 million (Japan: 5.54 million, the Americas: 20.63 million, other: 6.75 million as of 31 March 2005 (2005 -03-31) WINNER

Sega Saturn – 9.5 million

Roll your eyes at those numbers and tell me what did you say...? :ponder: You sir = FAIL on that guess.

Edited by jumbojohnny

As a personal opinion and side note:

If you are going to collect anything Sega...buy yourself a CDX. It plays Genesis/CD/32x. And its small compact and stores better. Take care of it and it will take care of your gaming needs. Also it will likely be the only Sega system that mantains a steady value.

Edited by jumbojohnny

Only your sales figures don't seem to include the Majesco/Tectoy Megadrives sold in South America, where it was massive by the way. Or the Amstrad Mega PC, Wondermega or X Eye.

I think when you add those figures on the Megadrive/Genesis sold far more ;)

Oh and for the record the Master System also utterly destroyed the NES outside of the US and Japan. The NES didn't even sell 1 million units in Europe :lol:

Edited by The_Laird

Worldwide sales figures

Worldwide sales figures

Game Boy and Game Boy Color combined – 118.69 million, as of 31 December 2009 (2009 -12-31)[update][8][11] (Japan: 32.47 million, the Americas: 44.06 million, other: 42.16 million WINNER

Worldwide sales figures

Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom – 49.10 million (Japan: 17.17 million, the Americas: 23.35 million, Other: 8.58 million) WINNER

Nintendo 64 – 32.93 million (Japan: 5.54 million, the Americas: 20.63 million, other: 6.75 million as of 31 March 2005 (2005 -03-31) WINNER

Roll you eyes at those numbers and tell me what did you say...? :ponder: You sir = FAIL on that guess.

And as you can see, Sega Genesis still wold a more than respectable 35 million units world wide, and both consoles were neck and neck in terms of popularity and sales for a while. Nintendo hardly "destroyed" them.

Worldwide sales figures

Worldwide sales figures

Worldwide sales figures

Roll you eyes at those numbers and tell me what did you say...? :ponder: You sir = FAIL on that guess.

And as you can see, Sega Genesis still wold a more than respectable 35 million units world wide, and both consoles were neck and neck in terms of popularity and sales for a while. Nintendo hardly "destroyed" them.

In fact, I think at one time Sega had a bigger market share, although Nintendo sped back ahead thanks to a certain title (*cough* Donkey Kong Country *cough*).

Well, mostly it's Sega has games like Sonic, Fantasy Star, and......While Nintendo had a lot more notable stuff. The Nintendo looked better, the games were more polished and complete usually. Often games that were multi platform were better on the SNES, yeah, there are the sports games that had a higher sprite palate for the genesis, (though the SNES could push more stuff on screen at once) but that's about the only place where the Genesis stood above the SNES. And of course, there wasn't nearly the confusion for the nintendo, you bought the console, and that was it. None of this "by the console, buy addon a, buy addon b, etc" crap that Sega did (honestly, that's why the genesis held on as long as it did, all the damn accessories that required it to run. Not saying there wasn't some good ones, while the SEGA CD was the 2600/Wii of it's era, there were some good games on it.

Anyhow, is the Sega worth collecting for? Well, as long as you "collect" it for play value, and not collector value, then you should be quiet happy with it for many years. There aren't a lot of good sega exclusives, but it does have some. Just don't expect it to be worth much in the near future....if ever. You should be able to get a complete system for under $30, and a bare console with the hookups for as low as $10. Most of the games can b e had for a buck or two, though there are some more valuable ones out there.