IGNORED

Capcom Arcade Classics coming to Wii

Rev

There's nothing to pick up, sadly. They're releasing these six games to the arcade section of the Virtual Console. They're just downloads.

So anyone with visions of a collection that combined the two Capcom collections from the last generation with perhaps a few new additions, there's nothing here to be excited about.

• Like 1

There's nothing to pick up, sadly. They're releasing these six games to the arcade section of the Virtual Console. They're just downloads.

So anyone with visions of a collection that combined the two Capcom collections from the last generation with perhaps a few new additions, there's nothing here to be excited about.

:x well that sucks. i dont like downloading games.i'd rather have it on disc.

Man, that sucks. If it was a disc-based collection, I would surely buy it (The Wii has quite a few decent arcade collections and this would be a great addition--plenty of arcade-stick fodder, for sure!).

Download only though? No thanks.. The Virtual Console arcade downloads are a rip-off, for the most-part. I will be surprised if any of these Capcom releases are less than eight bucks a pop individually, heh.

• 3 months later...

I was a bit puzzled that even though I made it to the 13th rank of the Hiscore list I couldn't register my initials. Is that "normal" for the 1942 arcade - or a bug?

As I recall from playing 1942 in the Capcom TV Game and/or Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 for the PS2, only the top 5 or maybe 10 positions in the high score table are accompanied by initials. The rest are *ahem* unsigned integers. :) I always assumed the arcade original did this as well.

onmode-ky

• 1 month later...

I've experienced it twice now, that pressing the required continue buttons bumped me back to stage 32 :?

I'm a little confused by what you wrote. 1942 only has 32 stages, so it should have ended rather than letting you progress to a position where you could go back to Stage 32.

It does sound like you're better at it than I, though. I tried for several hours once, a few years ago, to beat 1942 arcade, but I got stuck somewhere around the 25th stage, unable to survive past the end of a certain stage, one that included a fight against the Ayako bomber. This was either Normal mode on the TV Game or Easy mode in Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1; I've made the attempt in both, unsuccessfully (and curiously can only remember the details of getting stuck in one of the attempts).

onmode-ky

I've experienced it twice now, that pressing the required continue buttons bumped me back to stage 32 :?

I'm a little confused by what you wrote. 1942 only has 32 stages, so it should have ended rather than letting you progress to a position where you could go back to Stage 32.

You got me exactly. It counts down the continue timer, but if you actually try to continue it starts over from the beginning instead. I need to observe it more carefully, but it seems the game only allows three or four continues.

It does sound like you're better at it than I, though.

I've only played the Wii version for maybe an hour so far. I did play it on MAME some time ago though. I think I did make it past the first "boss" plane at least once :)

You got me exactly. It counts down the continue timer, but if you actually try to continue it starts over from the beginning instead. I need to observe it more carefully, but it seems the game only allows three or four continues.

. . . Huh? Now I'm really confused. You're saying it bumps you back to Stage 32 (from where?) or back to the beginning of the game? I think I may have completely misunderstood your original question. Actually, I have no idea anymore what you were asking, especially given the below.

It does sound like you're better at it than I, though.

I've only played the Wii version for maybe an hour so far. I did play it on MAME some time ago though. I think I did make it past the first "boss" plane at least once :)

Er, wha . . . ? With only ~1 hour of play, is it even possible to reach Stage 32? Does not compute--(A)bort, ®etry, (F)ail?

I may no longer have any clue what issue you're trying to describe with the Wii 1942, but I can tell you that on my TV Game and PS2 renditions of the game, you can continue as many times as you want. I was stuck for hours upon hours at the same end-of-level point, retrying and dying repeatedly. After checking a strategy guide, it looks like it was either the third or fourth of the four Ayakos, at Stage 23 or 31.

. . .

Wait a minute. When you said, "stage 32," in your original question, did you mean the "Last 32 Stage" message that appears at the first stage? Or were you talking about the final stage of the game, as I have been assuming?

onmode-ky

Wait a minute. When you said, "stage 32," in your original question, did you mean the "Last 32 Stage" message that appears at the first stage? Or were you talking about the final stage of the game, as I have been assuming?

I've been assuming that the stages in the game are counted down from 32 in everything I've written so far, yes. I hope it makes more sense then? :)

And regardless from the count order, pressing 'continue' only works a few times for me. The 3rd or 4th time I press it the game starts from the beginning again.

I've been assuming that the stages in the game are counted down from 32 in everything I've written so far, yes. I hope it makes more sense then? :)

Yes, mind now unboggled. I don't think the stages are actually referred to with the "Last" numbers, though, unless one specifically includes the word "Last" in the reference (e.g., "the 'Last 29' stage," which would be the fourth stage of the game, rather than calling it "Stage 29"). It would be like referring to the year 529 BC without the "BC" part. Granted, I'm not part of any hardcore 1942 community, so I can't say for sure how most players name the stages.

And regardless from the count order, pressing 'continue' only works a few times for me. The 3rd or 4th time I press it the game starts from the beginning again.

Well, I don't have anything useful to say about that, other than that maybe there's a setting somewhere for number of continues allowed. I don't recall messing with anything like that on my ports of the game, though.

onmode-ky

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured it out.

In the Wii version you can assign two different firing methods to the Wiimote buttons: manual or auto fire. I was of course playing the game with auto fire.

Now to activate a continue in 1942, you need to hold(!) fire and then press continue! Since I did that with auto fire enabled, it was more or less random if I managed to continue or not :roll:

What I did now as a workaround is assigning the buttons like this:

2: Auto fire

1: Barrel roll

A: Normal fire

B: Coin

+: Game Start

So during play I have auto fire conveniently on the action buttons and to trigger a continue I use 'A' and '+'.

Ah, yes, I've had autofire interfere with game-external operations before. In Irem Arcade Hits, their implementation of autofire made all my name entries in certain games "AAA." Anyway, congrats on finding out the cause.

Autofire in my 1942 would have been nice. It's not available in either the PS2 Capcom collection or the Capcom TV Game. Instead, I just played until my hands couldn't take the pain anymore! Even better, I got different kinds of pain between the two systems.

I recently took another shot at reaching the end of the game on the TV Game. Again, I got stuck at the end of Stage 23, but switching the difficulty down from Normal to Easy finally let me reach the end of the game for my first time ever.

By the way, what you do in 1942 is a loop, not a barrel roll.

onmode-ky

I recently took another shot at reaching the end of the game on the TV Game. Again, I got stuck at the end of Stage 23, but switching the difficulty down from Normal to Easy finally let me reach the end of the game for my first time ever.

I've been stuck at the 2nd boss plane for a couple of days now, but last night I finally made it past that obstacle :)

Couple of days? You mean you restarted from scratch each day, or you left the Wii paused overnight? And if we're talking from scratch each day . . . do you mean you got there on one credit or with use of Continues? At best, I can only survive to somewhere in Stage 2 ("Last 31 Stage") on one credit in the PS2 1942 (the TV Game 1942 gives you 2 extra lives at game start, and the first credit can get me to Stage 4 in its Normal difficulty mode). . . .

On the PS2, it may have been the second Ayako boss where I got stuck, rather than the third. It was years ago, and I can't remember now. I seem to recall it being a small bit harder than the TV Game 1942, though.

onmode-ky

Couple of days? You mean you restarted from scratch each day, or you left the Wii paused overnight? And if we're talking from scratch each day . . . do you mean you got there on one credit or with use of Continues?

Neither. The Virtual Console just saves the position when you stop playing. I think I used at least 50 credits so far :)

A few days ago, I played Exed Exes all the way to the end (Stage 16; it continues onward to Stage 17, but that's just the game looping back to 1) in Capcom Classics Collection. Not a very fun game, I think. The ship is hard to see on the screen, such that sometimes I revived and immediately died without ever knowing where I was. The ship is also really slow, and the whole thing with your shot range shrinking when moving backwards (i.e., toward the bottom of the screen) is a pain.

By the way, I discovered that autofire actually is available in Capcom Classics Collection . . . but it's pretty useless in 1942. Instead of a constant stream of bullets, you end up with rapid bursts of around 3 shots, but with significant pauses between bursts--during which someone crashes into you. I'd hoped maybe it could help me reach the end of the game so I could get the 10-million-point bonus; that would be the only way I could meet the 200,000-point requirement for one of the collection's unlockables.

onmode-ky

A few days ago, I played Exed Exes all the way to the end (Stage 16; it continues onward to Stage 17, but that's just the game looping back to 1) in Capcom Classics Collection. Not a very fun game, I think. The ship is hard to see on the screen, such that sometimes I revived and immediately died without ever knowing where I was. The ship is also really slow, and the whole thing with your shot range shrinking when moving backwards (i.e., toward the bottom of the screen) is a pain.

Still negotiating with my wife, I hope she'll join me for a round this evening :)

By the way, I discovered that autofire actually is available in Capcom Classics Collection . . . but it's pretty useless in 1942. Instead of a constant stream of bullets, you end up with rapid bursts of around 3 shots, but with significant pauses between bursts--during which someone crashes into you. I'd hoped maybe it could help me reach the end of the game so I could get the 10-million-point bonus; that would be the only way I could meet the 200,000-point requirement for one of the collection's unlockables.

Hm... I played it start to finish with auto fire on normal, so it's probably just a matter of getting used to it. On the positive side do the bursts dish out a great deal of damage to all the bigger planes and it's certainly a lot healthier for your thumb ;)