IGNORED

7800XM1 - Project Update

Curt Vendel

Thanks again to Pac Man Prime for the assistance, the box is being updated, now moving it to AI to submit to the printer... Just a few additional changes and such... getting close. This again is just for the look and layout, the image is a placeholder and several other aspects will be replaced/updated...

post-23-128968858764_thumb.jpg

Curt

• Like 3

EDIT - Naw, what's there is fine. Looks very nice, indeed. :)

Later Atari never seemed to understand the power of effective marketing speak. It is always a trade-off between giving the customer a (sometimes false) sense of control and empowerment, a belief that they have made an intelligent choice in buying the product and the anticipation that their options are wide open and their worries are unfounded. So one has to mix the affirmative voice, giving the impression that the user is in control along with the marketing buzzwords, while realizing the general public doesn't necessarily understand the technical aspects.

So my take would be something like this. :

- Save your High Scores! , High Score Saving Memory! or High Score Storage Memory!

User gets put in the pilot seat. Save the Princess, save the world, save your accomplishments to share with others. Otherwise, one Has to get across that scores are maintained even while the power is off. Not easy to phrase gracefully. :/

- Arcade Quality (Yamaha) Synthesizer Chip

I'd put this up closer to the top as one of the big misgivings was the inferior sound of the 2600/7800 compared to some of the competition. The mention of the Yamaha brand sound chip is optional and might give a little more authority to the claim, especially to those "in the know" who are at least familiar with period digital synthesizers. It doesn't harm the marketing to those who wouldn't know and might spark curiosity. One could leave it out, however.

- 128K of Memory for Advanced Games.

RAM size was definitely well in the consciousness of most buyers.

- POKEY I/O For Sound and Peripherals

This is squarely aimed at Atari computer users, who would know exactly what it means, though casual users may pick up on it.

- Future Expansion Capability

Further cements the previous for advanced users, confirming their hunch, while relating to the more casual users the potentiality.

Edited by AtariNerd

They might get the basic concept of "memory", but most gamers would be confused how to compare this value to what they've read about other systems.

The only memory size ever discussed around game consoles was the megabit size of cartridge ROMs. Very few gamers understood the difference between the game ROM and the system's internal RAM, or the conversion factor between Megabits and Kilobytes. If you were to advertise "128K" in 1990, most gamers would think "this sucks - my Nintendo games are 2 Megs!"

At the time, I think you'd be better off just making a vague reference to "massively expanded memory capacity".

That confusion could even factor in today.

• Like 1

guess one has to step bacl

They might get the basic concept of "memory", but most gamers would be confused how to compare this value to what they've read about other systems.

The only memory size ever discussed around game consoles was the megabit size of cartridge ROMs. Very few gamers understood the difference between the game ROM and the system's internal RAM, or the conversion factor between Megabits and Kilobytes. If you were to advertise "128K" in 1990, most gamers would think "this sucks - my Nintendo games are 2 Megs!"

At the time, I think you'd be better off just making a vague reference to "massively expanded memory capacity".

That confusion could even factor in today.

Ahahaha, you're right - good catch. SEGA in particular practiced this quite a bit. I guess one has to step back a bit and realize that one is addressing the present reality as well as playing to a fantasy of the past and relay its' useability to modern audiences/users as well. Ah well. :)

Edited by AtariNerd

The purple text with the XM's features on looks odd to me. Personally I'd like to see it in easy to read text at the bottom right corner so it doesn't overlap the XM picture at all. Hmmm.... Something like

Saves high scores*

128 kilobytes of RAM

Twelve channels of arcade quality sound

Expandable I/O

*Game dependent

The marketer in me would suggest ignoring the technical stuff (cause not everyone knows what it is or what it can do) and focus on the benefits!

Example:

- Save your high scores!

- More memory for more advanced games!

- Adds fantastic arcade quality sound

- Add additional peripherals to your 7800!

I think Drac hit the target right here. The simpler wording is easily understood, while outlining exactly how consumers would benefit from adding the XM to their 7800.

+1 :)

Thanks again to Pac Man Prime for the assistance, the box is being updated, now moving it to AI to submit to the printer... Just a few additional changes and such... getting close. This again is just for the look and layout, the image is a placeholder and several other aspects will be replaced/updated...

post-23-128968858764_thumb.jpg

Curt

You are very welcome Curt. Thank YOU for making this a reality!

• Like 1

Given the target audience here, you guys, I would think that dumbing down the features is not necessary...

I sort of agree, although I like the idea of this LOOKING like something we would've bought in 1984/1985... but it's not like anyone's going to be walking into a store, seeing the 7800XM for the first time, and thinking "Yeah, I'll buy that!" ;)

It does look amazing; the newer box art is great. and the unit itself is looking great, too!

Given the target audience here, you guys, I would think that dumbing down the features is not necessary...

Not sure I like the term 'dumbing down' as a lot of the world isn't an engineer or technophile. Not everyone needs to know or care about the technology but I think most people care about how the technology can personally benefit them.

Positioning 101.

Example:

iPod was definitely not the first MP3 or even technically the best (don't kill me Mac-Heads). But they positioned it well.

Other companies spewed out a lot of technobabble in their marketing .... ___ GB of space, supports ___ bit-rates, supports ___ file formats, syncs .ics calendars, connects via USB version ___ etc.

Apple: 1000 songs in your pocket

I think there's value in supporting the benefits of the tech with how it goes about doing it, but don't ever agree with assuming everyone knows what the benefits of the tech are.

You're probably correct that the group that hangs out here skews more technical. Just something I'm a bit hyper-sensitive to.

Edited by DracIsBack

Generally a product will have a few lines of the "dumbed down" stuff on the front of the box.

Then on the sides, the lowdown tech stuff in point form. Take a DVD player as a good example.

On the front it might say "Upscaling and Divx Playback", then on the sides it'll give a brief technical description of each feature.

IMO if the box is dumbed down too much, people might wonder why they're expected to pay $90+ for one.

Generally a product will have a few lines of the "dumbed down" stuff on the front of the box.

Dumbed down is not nice, because it suggests everyone who is not technology oriented is stupid. icon_razz.gif I think of it as 'benefit oriented'. How will this technology make my life better if I don't know or care about the technology implementation?

It's like the megapixel myth. I would love to see camera makers say,

"print a picture this big that looks this clear" instead of ___ megapixels.