IGNORED

Porting from Gameboy

José Pereira

From what I show and said in the other (Scrolling...) Thread, I thought in get some links that would be very usefull to someone interested in Gameboy Games porting into A8.

First, the best is that you can get many, many Game Maps:

"#

720° (C64)

A

Adventure Island

- alternate of Adventure Island II (NES)

Adventure Island II: Aliens In Paradise

- alternate of Adventure Island III (NES)

Alien³

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

B

Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly

Batman

Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (NES)

Bill & Ted's Excellent Game Boy Adventure

Bionic Commando (NES) (C64)

Blades Of Steel (NES)

Bonk's Adventure (NES)

A Boy And His Blob In The Rescue Of Princess Blobette

Bram Stoker's Dracula (NES)

Bubble Bobble (Arcade) (NES) (Master System)

Bubble Bobble: Part 2 (NES)

The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (NES)

The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle II

Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 3

Bugs Bunny In Crazy Castle 4

C

(Konami Classics:) Castlevania (J) (NES)

Castlevania: The Adventure

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

Choplifter III (Game Gear)

(Konami Classics:) Contra (J) (NES)

Contra: The Alien Wars

- alternate of Contra III: The Alien Wars

Cool Spot (Master System)

Crystalis (NES)

D

Darkwing Duck (NES)

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Land

Donkey Kong Land 2

Double Dragon (NES) (Master System)

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES)

Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors

Dragon Warrior I & II

- includes Dragon Warrior (NES)

Dragon Warrior III

- alternate of Dragon Quest III (J) (Super NES)

Driver (PC)

Duck Tales (NES)

Duck Tales 2 (NES)

E

Elevator Action (NES)

F

Fatal Fury (Super NES) (Neo-Geo)

Final Fantasy Adventure

Final Fantasy Legend II

Final Fantasy Legend III

Fortified Zone

G

Gargoyle's Quest: Ghosts 'N Goblins

Ghosts 'N Goblins (Arcade) (NES) (C64)

Gradius: The Interstellar Assault

H

Harvest Moon: GB

Heroes Of Might And Magic II (PC)

I

Inspector Gadget: Operation Madkactus

J

Joe & Mac (Super NES)

K

Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (J)

Kid Dracula

Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters

Kirby's Dream Land

Kirby's Dream Land 2

Konami GB Collection: Vol. 1 (E)

- includes remake of Castlevania: The Adventure

- includes remake of Nemesis

- includes remake of Operation C

Konami GB Collection: Vol. 4 (E)

- includes remake of Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

- includes remake of Gradius: The Interstellar Assault

Krusty's Fun House (Master System)

L

The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening

The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages

The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons

Lemmings (PC) (Master System)

The Lion King (NES) (Super NES) (Master System)

The Little Mermaid (NES)

Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!

M

Marble Madness (Apple II) (Master System) (NES) (Genesis)

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge

Mega Man II

Mega Man III

Mega Man IV

Mega Man V

Mega Man Xtreme

Mega Man Xtreme 2

Metroid II: Return Of Samus

Mickey's Dangerous Chase

Mickey's Ultimate Challenge (Master System)

Micro Machines (Master System)

Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Genesis)

Mortal Kombat I & II

- includes Mortal Kombat II (Super NES)

Mortal Kombat II (Super NES)

Mortal Kombat 3 (Super NES)

Motocross Maniacs

N

Nemesis (MSX)

Ninja Gaiden Shadow

O

Oddworld Adventures

Operation C

P

Pac-In-Time (Game Gear)

Pokémon: Green Version (J)

Pokémon: Blue Version

Pokémon: Red Version

Pokémon: Yellow Version

Pokémon: Gold Version

Pokémon: Silver Version

Pokémon: Crystal Version

Pokémon: Trading Card Game

Prince Of Persia (GBC) (PC) (CPC) (Atari ST) (Master System) (Genesis) (Sega CD) (NES) (Super NES) (ZX Spectrum)

R

Revelations: The Demon Slayer

Rolan's Curse

S

Solar Striker

Solomon's Club

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams (Arcade)

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Super NES)

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe

- remake of Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

T

TaleSpin (NES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall Of The Foot Clan

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (II): Back From The Sewers

Tintin In Tibet (E)

Tomb Raider: Curse Of The Sword

W

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

Wario Land II

Wario Land 3

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Wizards & Warriors - Chapter X: The Fortress Of Fear

World Heroes 2: Jet (Neo-Geo)

- remake of World Heroes 2 (Neo-Geo) (Super NES) "

All this are in vgmaps.com on the Gameboy Page.

You can also get TILE LAYER PRO and just load the Game Roms. It instantly aves you all the Game Chars/Sprite shapes, Status Area Chars,...

nd many of them are like 2Levels and 2Status Area in 256 Chars.

his will be less than 100Chars for the PlayingArea for each Level on A8.

Greets.

José Pereira.

I think the 2 biggest challenges are:

*working around the fact that the maps would be optimised for viewing in a 160x144 window - if you port the the A8/C64/spectrum/etc. unless you constrain the viewport to that sized window you could end up upsetting the balance of the game by allowing more of the level to be seen at one than was intended. I'm not sure people would like to play in such a tiny playfield on a desktop computer, so the graphics would inevitably have to be redesigned to rescale them to preserve the viewing area the original developers intended.

*the gameboy has an incredibly flexible scrolling mechamism - a 32x32 tile virtual screen which wraps around automatically and the X/Y position can be set at any line under interrupt which allows for all sorts of effects and splits. What could be low overhead scrolling for the gameboy could end up being a nightmare to implement on any other machine, but I'm sure there's plenty of coders around here who are up for that kind of challenge :)

*working around the fact that the maps would be optimised for viewing in a 160x144 window - if you port the the A8/C64/spectrum/etc. unless you constrain the viewport to that sized window you could end up upsetting the balance of the game by allowing more of the level to be seen at one than was intended. I'm not sure people would like to play in such a tiny playfield on a desktop computer, so the graphics would inevitably have to be redesigned to rescale them to preserve the viewing area the original developers intended.

I think that the first point is not a challenge on the A8. You can use a display list of alternating graphics 15 and graphic 7 lines = 4 gray-tones, 144 mode lines/216 scan lines. Ok, the vertical axis is a little bit squeezed (0.75) but many games should not suffer from that.

Z80... XXL?

Edited by Irgendwer

I think that the first point is not a challenge on the A8. You can use a display list of alternating graphics 15 and graphic 7 lines = 4 gray-tones, 144 mode lines/216 scan lines. Ok, the vertical axis is a little bit squeezed (0.75) but many games should not suffer from that.

Z80... XXL?

Hi, sorry for the Tittle, Porting isn't the same as converting.

I tought in take the Gameboy's Gfxs. and convert the Game.

What I am amazed is their great Gfxs. in their Shoot'em'Ups.

Just have a look at this Gradius Level:

post-6517-128982075929_thumb.png

But it could be a Port (XXL's is a busy Man, always someone wants to give him another Job :) ).

But It doesn't have to be that Gr.7/15 stuff.

If we go into coversion, first take this Map and 150% high, will look like this:

post-6517-128982106989_thumb.png

Porting this into G2F in 4colours:

post-6517-128982116608_thumb.png

And this is not looking good horizontally...

You have to do (PAINT does that), resize Gameboy to 200%(horiz.) x 150%(vert.), but for this just Load the resize 150%high into G2F and don't point to "Resize", it will look:

post-6517-1289821559_thumb.png

This is just direct Picture taking.

I am not seeing all work from someone just to get 4Grays looking into A8.

There are Game and there are Games, this Gradius Level, for example can in Bitmap just 4colours and DLIs.

And still think that CharMode with the 5th colour will be the best, as ´this kind of Games could win another colour to get the Enemys looking different from the Gfxs.

Our Ship could be just PMs. and less cycles...

José Pereira.

post-6517-128982134051_thumb.png

>But It doesn't have to be that Gr.7/15 stuff.

>...

>You have to do (PAINT does that), resize Gameboy to 200%(horiz.) x 150%(vert.),

>but for this just Load the resize 150%high into G2F and don't point to "Resize", it will look:

Which is exactly the look of the Gr.7/15 stuff... (QED)

No, it isn't.

It's the same in the number of pixels high, but:

Going into Gr.7/15 you'll have fixed 1Line(1pixel high),1Line(2pixels high),...

Here you have all Lines at 1pixel high, PAINT expand some pixels to 2pixels high and others remain to 1pixel.

See, it isn't the same.

With your idea, it will not probably look soo good and why having all that DLI's and cycles lost?

And how will you do shapes and move the SoftSprites?

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Mixing Gr 7/15 would mean forget about scrolling.

GB has a screen that's near square so the 3 pixel high would look closest but in practical terms isn't really a good idea.

In fact, practically anything involving scrolling more than 2 screens or so worth of data would make character mode a must.

Converting Z80 code would be a right pain, if anything the graphics could be used as basis for a game but then it loses a lot of originality.

Yeah, the 5th colour is needed, just to get SoftSprites where they don't enter in PF2.

This way, no need for PMs. on Enemys and do our Ship and Guns Add-on as 2PMs. Multicolour.

If you get two types of Enemys, one with PF2(MiddleGray) and the other with PF3(Lilac).

Shooting using PF0(Black) and PF1(Middle Gray)

Backgr colour on the Sky, less cycles spend, just "EOR"...

The trickiest part is we must redone all the Gfxs to fit in Chars.

But for a Gradius/Salamander like this I would spend my time with the re-done, I certainly will:

post-6517-128983100661_thumb.png

:cool:

José Pereira.

GB has a screen that's near square so the 3 pixel high would look closest but in practical terms isn't really a good idea.

153% this Gradius example to get a Screen Chars high exact and a good space Playing Area.

In fact, practically anything involving scrolling more than 2 screens or so worth of data would make character mode a must.

Why? Can you explain that better?

This is intended to be: placing Chars instead of going into place them in a BitMap like Mode...

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

O.k., best and if it could Scroll in CharMode then just get NES versions.

Mostly of this Shoots (or others...) would look good if you expand to 200% in horizontal.

Scroll Map and see where you can get clever/good looking DLIs for PF3.

Use PF3 on Ground and on the Ground Cannons.

Enemys on the Sky freely use of PF2(DarkGray), PF1(MiddleGray) and PF0-White.

Just EOR SoftSprites (less cycles), because Backgr. colour is the Sky-Black.

Bullets/Shoots: PF0-White.

Our two Ships or 1Ship&1Gun Add-on: 2PMs Multicolour only using PRIOR1.

post-6517-128983588118_thumb.png

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

153% this Gradius example to get a Screen Chars high exact and a good space Playing Area.

Why? Can you explain that better?

This is intended to be: placing Chars instead of going into place them in a BitMap like Mode...

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Hi, sorry to upset you once more, but someone please can give me an answer and some explanations to this question.

Where or what's the problem? Aren't examples of horizontal scrollings on A8 usin CharMode?

Thanks.

José Pereira.

160x144 pixels = 5760 bytes of screen data in bitmap.

Enable scrolling an that jumps another 20%

You can't move that much memory around in one frame. Best case scenario is 8 cycles per byte moved, plus a little bit of other overhead.

PAL frame would have just under 23,500 cycles free in that screen config (without PMs enabled) - remembering that a 3 pixel high hybrid of Gr. 7 and 15 means you're doubling up on DMA.

That means you can move less than 2,900 bytes in a frame.

OK - you could employ some trickery. Use staggered HSCROL tricks so that you only need to move one quarter of that amount of data.

That would make the whole thing a lot more managable, and leaves a reasonable amount left for some softsprites.

But then the entire question arises: Why bother?

You're virtually creating a game from scratch sofar as the coding goes, and using a blocky 3-pixel high mode to simulate the graphics of the GB.

Better idea - just create something original using the proper multicolour mode with single-height pixels in character mode and do away with all these headaches.

160x144 pixels = 5760 bytes of screen data in bitmap.

Enable scrolling an that jumps another 20%

You can't move that much memory around in one frame. Best case scenario is 8 cycles per byte moved, plus a little bit of other overhead.

PAL frame would have just under 23,500 cycles free in that screen config (without PMs enabled) - remembering that a 3 pixel high hybrid of Gr. 7 and 15 means you're doubling up on DMA.

That means you can move less than 2,900 bytes in a frame.

OK - you could employ some trickery. Use staggered HSCROL tricks so that you only need to move one quarter of that amount of data.

That would make the whole thing a lot more managable, and leaves a reasonable amount left for some softsprites.

But then the entire question arises: Why bother?

You're virtually creating a game from scratch sofar as the coding goes, and using a blocky 3-pixel high mode to simulate the graphics of the GB.

Better idea - just create something original using the proper multicolour mode with single-height pixels in character mode and do away with all these headaches.

O.k., thanks.

Let's get things simple and 150% high would not fit and re-use Gameboy's Chars.

I will get GRADIUS Gfxs. like I have on other Games.

UWOL I get a coder and there are two more on the way...

Time is no problem to me. I just need that first I have your "blessing" to start things in the right way.

I have 3possibilities about using Gameboy's GRADIUS (levels are 136pixels->17Chars high):

FIRST: Using this directly higher Screen and the lookng maybe a little vertical small-ANTIC4 1pixel high.

SECOND: Using them like they are, but put some of the same Chars to get more vertical higher. Same ANTIC4

THIRD: Using the Gameboy's Chars and expand all them into 2pixels high (it will look like a Gameboy horiz. x vertical 200%expanded Screen, like Zybex and Draconus)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOVING SPRITES:

-> All PMs. in our Ship and Gun/Power Add-ons (just hardware sprites)

-> Enemys: Moving ones are mostly (normal ones) 16pixelsx16pixels (4x2Chars)

(something like 6 on Screen at a time minimum would be needed)

-> Bullets Shooting are Chars with PF0&PF1

-> Sky will be Background colour and just "EOR" winning some precious cycles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST out of question.

SECOND: Good and the simpliest one but some Gfxs. wouldn't look good, moostly probably will(expand Image 200% just in horizontal).

And the will I have cycles to move at least 6Soft Sprites this size and Scrolling a Screen like 20Chars High?

THIRD: The best looking "à la Zybex"... I see that I can clever point the Gfxs. and create the Gaaameboy looking Maps.

Expand directly to 2pixels hig the Screen will need 34Chars High, but I could get the same using this THIRD option at 28CharLines high.

This will be, using 2pixels high CharMode 14CharLines (last two will have two ANTIC4 CharLines for the StatusArea).

If with the SECOND Option I get 6Enemys moving (yes?), will I get here the same six moving?

Or using 2pixels high would it be possible to have 1or2 more(how many maxim. 4x2Chars Enemys no shifting possible?)?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Screen Mode width:

Possible 32,40or48?

48 would be the best (no need to Mask Enemy Sprites on Borders), but will I have cycles for that?

Hope you understand and please give me some "simple English Language" explanations...

I need this first answered to start something.

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

I have 3possibilities about using Gameboy's GRADIUS (levels are 136pixels->17Chars high):

FIRST: Using this directly higher Screen and the lookng maybe a little vertical small-ANTIC4 1pixel high.

SECOND: Using them like they are, but put some of the same Chars to get more vertical higher. Same ANTIC4

THIRD: Using the Gameboy's Chars and expand all them into 2pixels high (it will look like a Gameboy horiz. x vertical 200%expanded Screen, like Zybex and Draconus)

FOURTH: use for example 20 or 24 chars high (to get some cycles from the blank scan lines and employ vertical scrolling.

I think the 2 biggest challenges are:

*the gameboy has an incredibly flexible scrolling mechamism - a 32x32 tile virtual screen which wraps around automatically and the X/Y position can be set at any line under interrupt which allows for all sorts of effects and splits. What could be low overhead scrolling for the gameboy could end up being a nightmare to implement on any other machine, but I'm sure there's plenty of coders around here who are up for that kind of challenge :)

I remember playing games like Legionnaire and Crusade in Europe on the A8, and they used maps that were much larger than the A8 screen and you had to scroll up, down and sideways with the pointer to see the off screen areas, so I don't think it's much of an issue to do the same with a Gameboy game that requires a larger map than what you can see on the screen.

FOURTH: use for example 20 or 24 chars high (to get some cycles from the blank scan lines and employ vertical scrolling.

:? Vertical Scrolling? It's a horizontal Scrolling!...

José Pereira.

Agreed.

As much as it's "nice" to have some of these ZX games ported from Z80->6502, they tend to just run slowly and need optimising as we've seen with improvements as the conversions come along.

For a more modern system like the Gameboy, I just don't see a similar conversion process working too well. Not much point going through the pain of porting something if it's only going to run at 20% the speed.

In my opinion the best idea of "porting" game(s) from GameBoy is to rip some graphics objects, characters and/or animations, and code something on Atari from the scratch.

Thanks for your attention! :)

Yeah, thanks.

That's it what I am doing.

I see I can have all that beautifull drawn Gfxs...

The problem is just to get a way/Graphics Mode/How many Char Lines high,... to get more SoftSprites on Screen...

The idea/Engine is in my Head to port the Gameboy's Gradius into A8 ;) !...

José Pereira.

I remember playing games like Legionnaire and Crusade in Europe on the A8, and they used maps that were much larger than the A8 screen and you had to scroll up, down and sideways with the pointer to see the off screen areas, so I don't think it's much of an issue to do the same with a Gameboy game that requires a larger map than what you can see on the screen.

My issue wasn't the technical possibility - I reckon the A8/c64/whichever platform can handle those things just fine. My issue was that originally the game developers would have taken that into account and the game would be balanced and designed accordingly. If you alter the game so that more or less of the play area is visible at any time then you run the risk of upsetting the balance of the game. For example, If you could see the suprise waiting for you in the next screen early because a port of the game had a wider viewing area then you'd be better prepared for it, the suprise would be lost and the challenge would possibly be removed. Similarly if you shrink the viewing area porting back the other way you restrict the players ability to plan ahead which also affects the difficulty of the game.

I really don't like scrolling games that ended up as flick-screen on the ST (such as great giana sisters) for this very reason - something that would've been introduced to you half a screen away that you can plan for during play can end up being right on top of you as you cross the boundary.

I think sometimes we concentrate on the technical aspects of games and the tricks we could use to the point where gameplay mechanics are be considered a low priority and if we were to finish a game that way it would suffer.

Edited by sack-c0s

If it could be in CharMode Antic4:

post-6517-129009616056_thumb.png

José Pereira.

O.k. I taked a decision and I will get the Chars and Charsets exactly the same way as I am doing on another Game that will be starting code soon...

Antic4, Charsets and Scrolling will work on that, why not on this?

The problem is the cycles/speed of thge SoftSprites.

Gameboy is 17Charsets high. A8 will be 21. I'll get the same basis and space, just some Chars more "here or there", no problem.

Our Spaceship with the Guns "Add-ons" will be PMs. only (more cycles free)

Rybags is probably right as it could be 20% slow, or probably not. It will depend...

This Screen as an example:

-> That 2Large Enemy Spaceships are 12x5Chars.

Only moving vertical and the two on Screen more the Bullets/Shoots are impossible to get at 50 frames? Real impossible?

If your answer is "impossible have the two at 50frames" than moving one at a time (one is 60Chars) at 25frames each will look too bad?

I

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTIC4 with 21Lines high for the Playing Area and 1or2 for the Status Area.

Enemy SoftSprites with 4x2Chars (no shifting), how many can I get on screen at 50frames?

If I can get a number of Enemys sufficient at 50frames, then at 25frames would be just sometime 3or4 times in all the Game when there are more than 1Large Enemy Spaceships (and these ones are only moving vertical, simple? less cycles, as they would not need 1Char side for shifting)

Please send me your opinion (good or bad), no problem, just say something...

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

I don't think 25 frames a second is going to be a problem as from Memory PAL TV updates at 25 frames/sec. Regarding reusing gameboy I did a quick comparison exercise of the ZX Spectrum, Master System & gameboy versions of R-Type. The Spectrum & R-Type graphics seem are on a 256x192 screen and seem to be based of the same image sources as for the gameboy the graphics I overlaid seem to match in proportion to the other 2 however the screen window has been shrunk i.e the graphics haven't been scaled just repositioned for the smaller screen resolution.

I don't think trying to do a straight port would work, however how about a Parodius inspired shoot-em-up with ripped graphics from various sources and some original artwork used to create a game that works to the Atari's strengths.

Barnie

I don't think 25 frames a second is going to be a problem as from Memory PAL TV updates at 25 frames/sec. Regarding reusing gameboy. I did a quick comparison exercise of the ZX Spectrum, Master System & gameboy versions of R-Type. The Spectrum & R-Type graphics seem are on a 256x192 screen and seem to be based of the same image sources as for the gameboy the graphics I overlaid seem to match in proportion to the other 2 however the screen window has been shrunk i.e the graphics haven't been scaled just repositioned for the smaller screen resolution.

I don't think trying to do a straight port would work, however how about a Parodius inspired shoot-em-up with ripped graphics from various sources and some original artwork used to create a game that works to the Atari's strengths.

Barnie