IGNORED

Porting from Gameboy

José Pereira

post-6517-129051859975_thumb.png

Taken directly the Gameboy PlayingArea tall Screen and add some Rainbow DLIs.

Also get the StatusArea at the botom inside that Lines.

17CharLines for the PlayingArea and 1 more to the StatusArea.

All this Rainbow Limnes are Background colours in Blank Areas.

This way I will just lost 1cycle of the DLI, righ?

Of course, I am using ANTIC4 CharMode (just PFs. and some DLIs. here...)

I've done some calculations about the 18Lines used... let's say I have something like 9000cycles spent on them. Now subtract this to:

-> 1.)- PAL

-> 2.)- NTSC

How many cycles I get in each one free for all the Game Things?

This also make me think into another thing, a little subjective, but probably you can give me an answer, not exact, but almost...

I can count the SoftSprites cycles, including optimizations,... no problem! Just say me how many cycles maximum can I have for the SoftSprite and remains for the other Game procedures (other coding, sounds,...).

I know it's difficult, but, just some number of cycles that I can use:

Ex.:29000-9000(Screen)=20000cycles to use(now for SoftSprites how much of this can I use?)

Thanks.

Greetings.

Edited by José Pereira

Hi, this is my idea for a Gradius "type of" Game...

It would be the same if we can (cycle counting...), if not, I just intend to use all the Gfxs. and the Sprites shapes.

This Enemys are 4x2Chars, but I will get them into 3x2.

Our Ship with all it's Guns will be just PMs.

Only Enemys and some Bullets/Rockets will be Soft Sprites.

Saying this (if this Enemys are 3x2Chars and just PMs for our Ship (not shown...)) will it be possible in this 18CharLines high have at least 6Enemys? Or some one or two more?

I would like to get 50frames, but probably not...

post-6517-12906079891_thumb.png

Answers, please!...

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Possibly.

You can get optimisation with character type softsprites with the rendering if the background character is blank.

Additionally you can optimise a step further - if the "new" character has no transparency, there's no need to blend in the background. But in both case you'd probably still want to save the character code in a restore buffer (fairly quick stuff).

For rendering over a filled background, usual minimum per character would be 8*(4+4+4+4+5) = 168 cycles - that's doing load background, and with mask, or with new data, store in character set, decrement count register, branch. Throw in probably 40-60 cycles more per character for other overheads, actually probably more than that.

For rendering over blank or doing the non-transparent parts of sprites, you'd get away with just the load, store, decrement register, branch so that's 8*(4+4+5)= 104 cycles, plust the other overheads.

Even more saving could be had by reserving characters representing the "non-transparent" sprite parts, but since characters are kinda scarce you wouldn't be doing too much of that, unless that is you were using 1 charset every 1 or 2 lines.

The other thing - partial overlap into another character cell means a 4x2 character object can potentially be 5x3 characters.

Note those examples assume self-modifying code doing indexing, not the more common Indirect method.

Another possibility is a modified version of the "strip sprite" method, not quite sure how it'd go with character mode.

Finally there's the brute force memory hungry method, but then you're getting into Bomb Jake territory and might end up with a 256K+ game.

Edited by Rybags

Finally there's the brute force memory hungry method, but then you're getting into Bomb Jake territory and might end up with a 256K+ game.

But with a 256Kb. will I get more on Screen at the same time?

Isn't cycle counting the same?

And some Levels are Blank Background colour, other not, like the other Screen with the Towers.

The only thing I have to get is the SoftSprites that are using PF3 colour will not get into Backgr. Gfxs. (using PF2 colour).

If they get into there they will use PF0&PF1 (but even using Gameboy's straight port there aren't many of this cases)...

And for this type of Game what are normally the possible maximum cycles we can waste for the Soft Sprites: Enemys, Rockects...

Bulletts are just Chars replaced.

4PMs that are 16pixels high, how many cycles for th PMs. will I also need?

Thanks.

José Pereira.

better rip engine from this gameboy game :)

rather clean program

:D

:ponder:

Why would I lost my Time with it? You're are working on it!...

:arrow: Probably you will have the Game on A8 in 2011? ;)

And it will be in what Month? :?:

José Pereira.

P.s.- and I want to see a clean, very clean program :roll:

Edited by José Pereira

better rip engine from this gameboy game :)

rather clean program

:ponder:

Why would I lost my Time with it? You're are working on it!...

:arrow: Probably you will have the Game on A8 in 2011? ;)

And it will be in what Month? :?:

José Pereira.

P.s.- and I want to see a clean, very clean program :roll:

Finally a A8 Racer, in2011

Is this your W.I.P.?

:P

José Pereira.

• 4 months later...