IGNORED

Do I really need a Falcon 030 ?

Been getting all my Atari 16/32bit systems as of late. Now have a nice 520ST, original floppyless model, a sweet Mega 2 ST, and now a TT030. Wondering if I really need to add a Falcon to my Atari room.

What would a Falcon 030 do for me the TT030 can't do or do as well as the Falcon 030. Of course owning a Falcon would be sweet but what extra would getting one do for me.

I plan on buying a FireBee in 2011 when they sell so wondering if I really need to spend $500 to $1000 on a Falcon.

tj

Define the word 'need' and you have your answer!

If you want a complete collection of Atari 16/32 machines, then of course the answer is yes. However if you want a computer to use for specific tasks, then you will find there's not much out there on the falcon that can't be covered by your existing machines. The only 'uniques' for the falcon IMHO are:

Cubase Audio (but you already said this isn't your 'bag')

Some Falcon only games and demos

Functionally though there's little the Falcon can do that the TT can't. If you are just using general apps (word processing, pixel art, web browsing, floppy imaging, playing the odd game and demo), your existing machines cover everything you could possibly hope to get from the Atari 16/32 platform.

There was a thread on Atari Forum where somebody who owns both TT and Falcon stated that he prefers the TT as the bus it 32bits wide throughout (whereas the Falcon is actually a 16bit bus with 32bit chipset).

This was met with many counter arguments as you would expect. The main being that with a CT60/63, the falcon will run miles faster than a TT.

I think most Falcon + CT60 owners would agree that if you buy a Falcon, the CT60 investment would be highly recommended in order to make it the best it can be.

As for Firebee.... We shall see - I am still deliberating it. The main argument for me is that assuming there's a strong take up, it has the potential to replace the entire Atari 16/32 bit line and reach preservation 'utopia'.

Edited by Dal_1978

Yes anything that requires the use of the Falcon DSP processor, like Cubase Audio, Zero X or games and demos. There may be many other types of apps that use it too, but I am still looking out for suggestions on them myself.

Maybe I will add a CT60/63 to one of mine in the future, but I have been put off by the difficulties involved and troubles encountered by others. As for the FireBee, well that is looking more attractive all the time. :)

What would a Falcon 030 do for me the TT030 can't do or do as well as the Falcon 030. Of course owning a Falcon would be sweet but what extra would getting one do for me.

Well it can do most what a Falc can do if the software is compatible.

What it can't do in addition to what others say about the CT6x is the CTPCI :D

I have both Falc & TT, frankly I seldom use the TT even when it was faster and still has more colour/larger screen.

The Falc feels more like using a ST.

It depends heavily on what you want to do or plan to do. I had both and I sold the Falcon. Dropped a CrazyDots II in the TT030 and it runs rings around the falcon so long as the falcon is stock and gives me the same TC modes, but with more resolution and then some. Unless you dump a pile of cash in a falcon it will feel slower than a TT030 assuming you are running non-DSP apps. I found the DSP to be a niche thing, mostly used for stuff I am not into. Then later I got a Hades060 and now the TT030 is lonely, but that's another topic all together. ;)

Clearly TT with a graphic card is far superior than a stock Falc.

But a stock Falc compared with a stock TT... I would use the Falc.

Without the graphic card, the VGA looks funny and desktop is plain

compared with the nicer colourful desktop of tos 4.

of course you can always install Geneva and don't use a desktop ;)

Well you really need one ;) But what do you want to hear from someone with my nickname...

- The Falcon gives you possibility to listen to mp3 (no other Atari can do that, even Milan 060 sucks at that point)

- DSP rules (see above)

- you can play many ST games on Falcon using a nice VGA monitor and so have all ST resolutions on just one machine...

Yeah, chat on IRC or ICQ and listen to mp3 files at the same time is just fine.

And we just talk about a standard Falcon.

Mine has 14 megs of RAM, runs @ 32 mhz and has a 120 gig hard drive, is running MagiC and unfortunately atm has networking issues I wasn't able to solve up to now.

You can run higher resolutions using software as Videlity or Videl Inside if you like.

Overall it's a nice GEM machine as well as a nice demo- or gamestation

Edited by jens

What would a Falcon 030 do for me the TT030 can't do or do as well as the Falcon 030.

Demoscene mostly. I mean - having a Falcon You gain access to a part of artistic software that is made especially for the machine and will not work on others.

However not everybody's interested in demoscene.

I don't know how about palying movies - can the Aniplayer work on TT as well as on F030? (Probably).

When you get acceleration cards, You can even play Quake.

I don't know about music-software compatibility but probably You could have better audio possibilities on F than on TT (I'm guessing now).

Hard to say, dude. Especially that You have already some collection.

Anywayz. I bought the machine and I don't regret at all, still having several ST 1Mb and one STe 4Mb.

________________EDIT________

Ah, Jens is right - I forgot about MP3. Stereo, 192Kbps.

Edited by yerzmyey

Been getting all my Atari 16/32bit systems as of late. Now have a nice 520ST, original floppyless model, a sweet Mega 2 ST, and now a TT030. Wondering if I really need to add a Falcon to my Atari room.

I plan on buying a FireBee in 2011 when they sell so wondering if I really need to spend $500 to $1000 on a Falcon.

tj

Answer: Yes you do.