IGNORED

what mod/upgrade is in your 1050 (or 1050's)

carmel_andrews

32 members have voted

1. 1. what mod/upgrade is in your 1050 (or 1050's)

• SA/SA2
    • Happy
    • Lazer/Hyperdrive
    • US Doubler (USD) ...or homebrew versions
    • Speedy/Super Speedy
    • Duplicator
    • The Chip
    • I S Plate 1050 (rare European 1050 upgrade)
    • other (please specify)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well, like it say's on the tin...whats in your 1050 (or 1050's)

Or the ones I've had in the past, they include 2 SA2's (both died, one within 2 weeks), A Happy 1050, A Lazer/USD 1050, A speedy 1050 (though i hardly used this one due to the fact it didn't like British d/d boot menu's) and I did buy a pucka USD upgrade, just never got around to fitting it (and I can't remember where it disappeared to) and also 3 (or was it several, since i went through quiet a few) stock 1050's

Edited by carmel_andrews

Lazer (or to give it, its full name, warp lazer) and hyperdrive were basically UK/European knock off's or rip off's of the happy upgrade ...from what i recall it had less memory then happy and also the happy tracer program won't work with a lazer modded 1050 (the happy tracer program on actual happy software that is) there is a hacked/cracked version of the happy tracer program available on a later version of the lazer software, can't remember what version of the lazer software it is though, I did have this particular version of the software just i no longer have the disk as i inadvertantly overwrote the disk

Edited by carmel_andrews

Lazer (or to give it, its full name, warp lazer) and hyperdrive were basically UK/European knock off's or rip off's of the happy upgrade ...from what i recall it had less memory then happy and also the happy tracer program won't work with a lazer modded 1050 (the happy tracer program on actual happy software that is) there is a hacked/cracked version of the happy tracer program available on a later version of the lazer software, can't remember what version of the lazer software it is though, I did have this particular version of the software just i no longer have the disk as i inadvertantly overwrote the disk

Just to add that this came from the 'Kent Team', got one of the first ones...

Not a patch on the Happy 1050 tho...

In the other thread I claimed 8 1050s but on second thought I might have twice that or more. I forgot just how many places that I rathole Atari stuff and everywhere that is has at least one 1050 most much more. Among them are:

Duplicator one

Happy two

USD two

SA one

one or two roll your own Happy types that I'm not sure even fire up or what to call them.

Most work but at least three are dead with one that I completely wore down to the nub. That would have been my first one, poor little thing. I didn't realize that you could polish pot metal to rival a chrome bumper with just floppy jackets, but it was pretty shiny inside that one.

There was an Australian made one too, no idea if it was unique or just a clone of something else.

Made by the same company that did SuperMon OS, IIRC it was called Super<something>. Also accompanied by SuperDOS which IIRC was just a hacked/improved version of the old DOS 2.0s.

Don't think it'd even qualify as a poor-man's Happy, it had sector skew formatting (only good if you had the upgrade, otherwise it read slower on normal drives), fast SIO (3x ?) and true double-density. I doubt it had many, if any protection duplication abilities.

Only one person I knew had one... it was the first time I'd seen/heard the high-speed SIO, so that aspect of it at least was impressive at the time.

There was an Australian made one too, no idea if it was unique or just a clone of something else.

Made by the same company that did SuperMon OS, IIRC it was called Super<something>.

SuperMax.

http://www.atarimax.com/freenet/freenet_material/5.8-BitComputersSupportArea/9.ProductSummaries/showarticle.php?45