IGNORED

Spectre GCR and a TT030 with TTM195 Monitor

Anyone here sucessfully boot a TT030 driving a TTM195 19" Monitor? I have Spectre 3.0 software that claims it will run on a TT030 but it hangs for me. After I hit return on the keyboard it switches to Mac mode and starts to read from the disk, get the happy mac icon, but then it hangs and flashes the letter A on top of screen. I tried booting System 6.05 and 6.08 with same results. So, either I have some setting wrong in Spectre 3.0 or maybe my TT030 Floppy Drive has GCR issues.

This same hardware and System 6s I have boot to Mac fine with my Mega 2 driving the SM124 Monitor so I know the Spectre GCR works and reads the system 6s fine. Weird it does not on the TT030.

So, if anyone had same issue but found a cure, let me know.

Maybe TT030 Floppy Drives have GCR issues? Maybe there is a newer than 3.0 Spectre software or some patch I need?

TJ

Anyone here sucessfully boot a TT030 driving a TTM195 19" Monitor? I have Spectre 3.0 software that claims it will run on a TT030 but it hangs for me. After I hit return on the keyboard it switches to Mac mode and starts to read from the disk, get the happy mac icon, but then it hangs and flashes the letter A on top of screen. I tried booting System 6.05 and 6.08 with same results. So, either I have some setting wrong in Spectre 3.0 or maybe my TT030 Floppy Drive has GCR issues.

This same hardware and System 6s I have boot to Mac fine with my Mega 2 driving the SM124 Monitor so I know the Spectre GCR works and reads the system 6s fine. Weird it does not on the TT030.

So, if anyone had same issue but found a cure, let me know.

Maybe TT030 Floppy Drives have GCR issues? Maybe there is a newer than 3.0 Spectre software or some patch I need?

TJ

Unless I am overlooking something, it is version 3.0 at your link provided. Is there an actual 3.1?

If not, I have tried my 3.0 with the TT030 driving a TTM195 19" Mono Monitor and it does not seem to work for me. Maybe it has some other issue with my floppy drive or monitor or ??

Maybe I could connect a SF314 to the floppy port and try to boot from drive B I guess they would call that? Is there a way to tell Spectre to boot from external drive and not the internal TT030 drive. Maybe the drive is my issue?

tj

Edited by macsociety

Yes, I could do it.

I used SPECTRE GCR, with rev 3.0.

However, the floppy drive of the TT030 don't work with SPECTRE. Same problem on the MegaSTE.

Also, you can not use the internal HD of the TT under SPECTRE.

How I did it:

I prepared an external SCSI-Harddisk (actually an ez-drive) connected to an ordinary STe with "the LINK".

I formatted the HD under mac-format, and added OS 6.0.4 on it. The floppy drive of STe works well with SPECTRE GCR.

Then I connected the EZ-drive to the TT030, and installed the SPECTRE-software on the regular HD of the TT030.

What I don't remember is, how I connected the EZ-drive. (Via the external SCSI port, or with THE LINK on the ASCI/DMA port)

But I guess, I connected the ez-drive on the ASCI port.

When starting spectre, I used the ez-drive as boot drive for my MacAtari. And voila, I got the OS runnig on the TT, with the largre B/W monitor.

There is another work around. Add an SF314 to your TT030, and you can use the floppy drive.

However, I didn't got the possibility to try it. I don't have an SF314 (yet).

Last revision of the software is 3.0

The blinking A, means you need to add a floppy in the floppy drive and press F1 for mounting it. But is I told you, it works only on the ST-range.

Success,

Mark

Ah, somewhat good news. I happen to have a EZ Drive 135 so can try this.

So, just so I understand, in one sentence you mention the floppy drive of the TT don't work with Spectre and same as the Mega STE does not work but then later said the STe works well with Spectre GCR. Are you meaning that the drive does not like Atari mode launching the actual Spectre application in the Atari side but once in Mac mode booted from the hard drive (EZ Drive), then the floppy in the TT and MegaSTe in GCR mac mode works well?

Or did you mean a non "Mega" but older STe works fine but any floppy situation using Spectre *any modes" with a TT or MegaSTE just will not work and I will have to use an external SF314 to write to floppy while in Mac mode.

Thanks

tj

Yes, I could do it.

I used SPECTRE GCR, with rev 3.0.

However, the floppy drive of the TT030 don't work with SPECTRE. Same problem on the MegaSTE.

Also, you can not use the internal HD of the TT under SPECTRE.

How I did it:

I prepared an external SCSI-Harddisk (actually an ez-drive) connected to an ordinary STe with "the LINK".

I formatted the HD under mac-format, and added OS 6.0.4 on it. The floppy drive of STe works well with SPECTRE GCR.

Then I connected the EZ-drive to the TT030, and installed the SPECTRE-software on the regular HD of the TT030.

What I don't remember is, how I connected the EZ-drive. (Via the external SCSI port, or with THE LINK on the ASCI/DMA port)

But I guess, I connected the ez-drive on the ASCI port.

When starting spectre, I used the ez-drive as boot drive for my MacAtari. And voila, I got the OS runnig on the TT, with the largre B/W monitor.

There is another work around. Add an SF314 to your TT030, and you can use the floppy drive.

However, I didn't got the possibility to try it. I don't have an SF314 (yet).

Last revision of the software is 3.0

The blinking A, means you need to add a floppy in the floppy drive and press F1 for mounting it. But is I told you, it works only on the ST-range.

Success,

Mark

Too bad the 3.1 was not made available? This thread goes back to 2002 or something where Dave mentions maybe they can make it available someway but reading the thread that never seemed to happen. Would be sweet if someone actually had 3.1 to somehow get it online.

tj

Hello,

What I say is the following:

When you start SPECTRE, and you need to boot/access a mac-diskette, it don't work on the TT030, and MegaSTe.

When you start SPECTRE, you can boot from a mac diskette, or access a mac formatted diskette, when you use a ST or STe.

So how I did it :

Setting up the Mac-drive (actually an EZ-cartridge) I did it with a Ste. Because I could access the OS 6.0.4 diskettes.

Then I attached the EZ-drive, with the cartridge to my TT030 (or MegaSTe) and I booted from the EZ-drive.

Or did you mean a non "Mega" but older STe works fine but any floppy situation using Spectre *any modes" with a TT or MegaSTE just will not work and I will have to use an external SF314 to write to floppy while in Mac mode.

That's correct (according me).

Mark