IGNORED

Ever regret buying/collecting a certain system?

GKC

Have you ever bought and started collecting for a certain system and then regretted it? I bought and regret my Saturn buy but not because I think the Saturn is a bad system in fact I have had a lot of fun with the Saturn. I regret getting it because it has severly hurt my Jaguar collecting with my money going towards the Saturn. I don't spend a lot of money on video games and the little bit I allow myself for games has been split between the Jaguar and Saturn and my Jaguar buying has slowed to a halt which is a shame because the Jag is far and away my favorite system. Looking at it now with the money I spent on the Saturn I probably could have gotten most if not all the remaining Jag games I want (obviously this does not include Battlesphere :D ). So I guess I don't regret buying the Saturn but I regret the timing of it.

How about you? Do you regret a system or game you bought and if so why?

Edited by GKC

Have you ever bought and started collecting for a certain system and then regretted it? I bought and regret my Saturn buy but not because I think the Saturn is a bad system in fact I have had a lot of fun with the Saturn. I regret getting it because it has severly hurt my Jaguar collecting with my money going towards the Saturn. I don't spend a lot of money on video games and the little bit I allow myself for games has been split between the Jaguar and Saturn and my Jaguar buying has slowed to a halt which is a shame because the Jag is far and away my favorite system. Looking at it now with the money I spent on the Saturn I probably could have gotten most if not all the remaining Jag games I want (obviously this does not include Battlephere :D ). So I guess I don't regret buying the Saturn but I regret the timing of it.

How about you? Do you regret a system or game you bought and why?

baseball cards.

i don't even like baseball. i never liked baseball. it just seemed like the thing to do.

Not a system... but Star Trek collecting cards. Back in the day when the Next Gen and DS9 were in their heyday, some of the uncommons demanded a chunk of change. Now they are all worthless.

Back in the day I had a small collection of STNG cards also, along with most of the ships (including the gold Enterprise). I wasn't into it enough to go for any uncommons. I think I gave all of them to a neighborhood kid.

The issue with STNG was that everything was advertised as 'collectibles' as soon as they hit the stores. Therefore everyone was buying them. When everyone collects the same thing, the collectible value is greatly decreased.

I'd love to have an original R2D2. Back in the day all of the Star Wars toys were sold as ... toys. They were played with, destroyed, and not particularly considered collectibles until many years later.

I don't really have regrets for any of my systems. Minor disappointments, maybe. My 5200 sees little use. I replaced the flex circuit in a controller and it worked for a little while then stopped again. Disappointing. I only have like 8 games for it and none of them aren't anything I couldn't play on something else. So I'm in no real hurry to get that controller going again.

I picked up a boxed Commodore 64 at a thrift shop that had a bad PSU so I ordered one from 4jays. It didn't work. So they sent me another at no charge (great service!) but unfortunately that one didn't work either. I just gave up on it. Disappointing.

PSP. I bought it for one game, which broke my "gotta have five good games before getting the system" personal rule. In all fairness, Castlevania - Dracula X Chronicles is like three games in one so... :ponder: But yeah, otherwise the library is a bore. So I guess I regret this one a bit. But it's not like I got too far collecting for it so it's not a huge blow.

For non-systems, I fell into the 25th Anniversary GI Joe re-issue collectathon madness a couple years back. They were just too cool to pass up but then I found myself buying doubles (one to open, one to keep sealed) and in some cases four or five to resell later just in case they would be worth something. I realized early on that none of them would be worth much since the only people buying them were nostalgic 30-somethings who would just keep them sealed. But I just kept buying them anyway. Now I've got boxes of this stuff and I just wish I had shown more self-restraint. :lol: So yeah, I kinda regret that. A little.

Jaguar. Sorry Jag fans, it's just not for me. I tried. I honestly tried! I bought around 15 games for the system and went in with no preconceptions or anything, just wanted to play and enjoy. I just couldn't get into its little quirks, which is sad because some of the titles did seem pretty entertaining, just not my cup of tea unfortunately.

I can see how people would enjoy it, though, so that's a plus, it's just not for me!

I traded my saturn for a vectrex. :D

I do regret giving away my battlestar galactica viper launcher that I got as a kid.

My 1st and 2nd series wacky packages were stolen in 2nd grade. wish I still had those.

I have a jag, not really sure why I got it, but perhaps for defender. I never play it and I even got that skunk board for it but have never done anything with it.

My 66 Chevy II Hardtop. I really miss that.

so many things I wish I still had, but no real rergets for stuff I have now.

Have you ever bought and started collecting for a certain system and then regretted it? I bought and regret my Saturn buy but not because I think the Saturn is a bad system in fact I have had a lot of fun with the Saturn. I regret getting it because it has severly hurt my Jaguar collecting with my money going towards the Saturn. I don't spend a lot of money on video games and the little bit I allow myself for games has been split between the Jaguar and Saturn and my Jaguar buying has slowed to a halt which is a shame because the Jag is far and away my favorite system. Looking at it now with the money I spent on the Saturn I probably could have gotten most if not all the remaining Jag games I want (obviously this does not include Battlesphere :D ). So I guess I don't regret buying the Saturn but I regret the timing of it.

How about you? Do you regret a system or game you bought and if so why?

Edited by Zonie

I regret buying two Atari Jaguar CD units and one Vectrex unit from ebay without shipping insurance. From now on, I will make sure I get shipping insurance for anything expensive that is notorious for being fragile, or anything that has a monitor or something magnetic that can be damaged during transportation.

I also regret collecting so many loose cartridges and discs and not so many CIB games. And I regret collecting so many games I didn't care about playing. From now on, I collect games to play them, and will only settle for a CIB copy unless that is way too expensive for a particular game and a cart only copy is much much cheaper.

If I really want the game or enjoy it though and it is super expensive, I will save up the money for a full copy then make sure I play it all month and try to complete it on the actual system at least once before making a similar purchase again. Good examples include Earthbound for SNES and Valkyrie Profile for PS1.

Another idea I thought of to slow myself down for collecting of older games was to beat a game on an emulator before I buy it unless I already have an incomplete copy of it and already know that I like it. If I don't like the game enough to complete it using emulation, then I know I should use the money on a game that will make me happier instead.

As far as systems go, I didn't really like the Fairchild Channel F, RCA Studio II, or Tiger Game.com much, but I don't regret buying them because I did find one game I liked on the Channel F that is unique (Dodge It), and the RCA Studio II and game.com I got dirt cheap so those were not much of a loss.

Yeah, I've got one console regret; the Turbo Grafx-16. As most people here have said about other systems, the TG16 is definitely not a bad system, but between ridiculously expensive standards and a venerable quirkyness that I can't seem to appreciate (just go look at a bunch of TG16 game covers, you'll see what I mean), the Turbo just isn't for me. I've been thinking of passing mine on to someone who will appreciate it. Highly doubt I'll make back what I spent on it though (isn't that how it always goes?). Not to mention my Turbo Tap's first controller port is busted (probably just needs soldering)....

Well I think I jumped the gun a bit buying my Dreamcast. I got the 'Cast and some games (Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and Soul Caliber) but the machine itself had laser issues. Exchanged it, got another one that had laser issues though didn't really notice them until after the grace period on returns had expired.

Sucks and from the sounds of things it will keep getting harder and harder to find a Dreamcast with a good laser. What I did get to play of Shenmue was really fun too...

Sucks and from the sounds of things it will keep getting harder and harder to find a Dreamcast with a good laser. What I did get to play of Shenmue was really fun too...

Damn, I've had at least six Dreamcasts over the years and have never had a problem. Some people just get lucky (or unlucky) I guess (?).

The only one I'd say is close to regret is getting into the xbox. The system was built like shit, and M$'s customer service is THE single worst of any game system I've owned over the years. My first unit had the infamous Thompson dvd drive, and worse M$ tried telling me mine was an isolated incident. Less than a year after paying to have that particular issue resolved, the hard drive took a shit. The third is still going strong, but for the most part it's not used, we play the orig. xbox games on our 360 now (well, at least the ones that play on the 360).

Still a fun system and great games, but poorly built and the worst customer service has more than once made me regret buying one.

The only one I would really say is my 800 XL with 1050 disk drive as I have just never used it really. I never bothered to get any games for it apart from the few that came with it and have probably only ever turned it on twice. I picked it up just because I got a good deal on it and just never fell for it the way I have for other (especially Atari) systems. I played a load of games on emulation and didn't really find anything apart from Star Raiders 2 that really grabbed my attention that I didn't already have for another machine. It also takes up alot of space with the massive drive and 2 bulky power packs. I have nearly sold it a few times and probably still will do. I may get an XE at some point as I love the look of the system and can play Star Raiders 2 on that.