IGNORED

Ever regret buying/collecting a certain system?

GKC

Definitely N64 for me. I keep buying the damn things cheap when I find them, playing a couple of games, then remembering I can't stand 95% of the library and selling it.

Ditto. I think I've owned this console 2-3 times and have ended up selling it off plus whatever games I've had at the time. For me, those controllers are an epic fail.

Edited by cybercylon

Nope.I can't see why anyone would regret buying any console system.I feel they all have something good to offer and are all a precious part of gaming history now and for the future.

even the mattel hyperscan?

Well i guess there are some exceptions.The Mattel Hyperscan was quite the dud according to reviews, was discontinued right away.I can see why some would regret buying a problematic system, especially if they paid a lot of money.Funny thing is duds of any kind seem to be the most sought after by collectors.

Edited by Rik

Wow, took all the way until page 2 for this one!

The HyperScan is definitely something I regret snapping up, along with all the cards. Even at clearance prices it was not nearly worth it. Plus I will never get back the time I spent "playing" X-Men.

Nope.I can't see why anyone would regret buying any console system.I feel they all have something good to offer and are all a precious part of gaming history now and for the future.

even the mattel hyperscan?

Collect what you love, and you will have no regrets. Maybe it's not worth anything (or not worth anything now) but if it's something you love, it's not like you were planning on parting with it anyways, is it?j

I've never regretted collecting anything, but there are TONS of things I regret not collecting when it was cheap and common.

Collect what you love, and you will have no regrets. Maybe it's not worth anything (or not worth anything now) but if it's something you love, it's not like you were planning on parting with it anyways, is it?j

I've never regretted collecting anything, but there are TONS of things I regret not collecting when it was cheap and common.

Yup. I go back to a post I made in another thread. Take Ico for the PS2. Wish I had gotten it when it was in the sale bin, and I have always wanted to play it, but I passed on it at the time. Dragon Warrior 7 for the PS1 is another one. I remember seeing that in the sale bin for around $20, and kept passing on it. When I finally made up my mind to get it, it was sold out.

Marvel Comics cards. I have almost full series 1 and 2.. and 3/4 of Series 3. These used to be worth a ton (Remember the hologram cards? oooooooooh).

Also.. I hate to say it. My Coleco doesn't get as much use as I though it would. I do tend to go through gaming phases though (Play the hell out of something for a few weeks, then park it).

I've really tried to pare the number of systems I have way back since back in the day. I think after I rediscovered gaming (maybe 7 years ago, when I was 26) I just got way too caught up in the collecting aspect of it. Plus, it was pre-kids, so I had a lot more time to play games.

I had a TON of stuff back in the day, at least to me. Since then I've sold my original Xbox with ~40 games (+ Steel Batalion), Dreamcast with ~12 games, Jaguar with ~8-10 games, 7800 with ~30+ games, and an old PS1 with a couple of games.

Biggest disappointment out of that lot: the Jaguar. Bought it new, yes new, in '04 I think. I'm sure there were some good games, but I could simply never get into that console. Even though I recognize that it was time to sell the original Xbox, Dreamcast and 7800, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. The Jaguar, not so much.

My only regrets of things that I sold (I know, the opposite of the thread question here) are probably Steel Batalion and the 7800.

Steel Batalion was simply a cool game, but the save system absolutely stunk (what's with Capcom and save systems *cough Dead Rising cough*) and keeping it would have necessitated me keeping my Xbox, and then I would have started going down that road of thinking 'hmm, do I really need to get rid of most of my original Xbox games???'. At that time in my life it was absolutely necessary to take a step or two back from gaming and commit extra time to the family and the new little one! Plus, it was a hassle to set the thing up.

The 7800 was a childhood system that I bought with my paper route money. Sure, it was just sitting in my basement, but I should've just left it there. At the time though I figured it should go to someone who was going to have the time to use it. Now with the XM coming out I'm looking for one again! It would have been nice to have the one from my childhood.

So these days I'm committed to the systems I have left: N64, Gamecube, Xbox 360 (and once I can find the right deal a 7800. They're all systems that I have a connection to somehow. The N64 my girlfriend (wife now!) bought me new, the Gamecube I got new as a gift (or partial gift....using birthday gift cards) and the Xbox 360 I got on launch day (not this specific console, but I got a 360 on launch day! :) )

I have a 5200 as well....not sure about that one. With me rediscovering the 7800, I may end up selling the 5200. And like I said, going forward I'm really emphasising my quality time on few systems that I had a connection too when new. Since I could classify the ColecoVision the same way (my 1st system as a kid actually) that's enough to keep me busy for a lifetime without venturing into other older consoles, let alone whatever is to come down the pike in the future.

Hm, I don't regret collecting for any of my systems, but I do have some regrets:

NES: I love the NES, but I paid 50 bux trying to get a working one together, only to have a fully functional top loader fall into my lap for $35. And a while later, I found a fully functional front loader for $6.

Turbografx: Great system, but the games generally cost more than I'd like to pay. I'll get some use out of it yet, tho.

5200: This one is much lower on the "regret" side of things. That said, I wound up piecing one working system from 4 non-functional systems- I can't say that that was one of my better ideas. :P

-Rob