IGNORED

Whoever Side-Dealed This I Will Hunt You Down

CatScraps

Or the seller may have decided to just keep it, since he may have only got $60-$70 out of it. But generally speaking, it's stupid to end an auction and sell it for an offer -- because the offer will probably be less than what the item would have gone for if they would have let the auction run its course.

I've known people that have a 'panic mode' if they don't see their item selling for what they would like it to be selling for. I've known people actually yank auctions because they were afraid it would not get more bids and they would lose out on money. To me... that is silly. Unless you were silly enough to end your auctions around midnight or something.

He just contacted me:

Dear *****,

You were?! I'm so sorry! This guy wanted to purchase 4 games out of the lot today, so I sold them to him since he was in the area. I didn't think it would be fair to leave the auction with the 4 games missing, so I ended it and will be relisting it next week, but thanks for contacting me.

- bigmachippydude2

I AM IN THE F*ING AREA TOO - I WAS GOING TO DRIVE DOWN MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!

Precisely why a seller should have a three day waiting period before an auction is posted. Once posted, the auction should be "locked in" and not be allowed to be cancelled under any circumstances. And then if the items can't be sold for whatever reason, the seller should need to deal with eBay and their TOS in regards to the sale to justify not being able to sell the product (including the burden of proof to show a particular item is stolen (a police report), item loss due to disaster (evidence of the disaster), etc.)

There are ways of doing it so that honest sellers who genuinely cannot sell their item can be granted a pass by eBay, but crooked sellers that end early and side-deal are suspended or required to pay a hefty delisting fee for their trouble.

Either that, or give the users a certain number of "delists" per year. Surpass the threshold and your eBay account is automatically frozen for the remainder of the year, except in extenuating circumstances. People who rely on eBay for income would then have to think twice about side deals.

Then there's the whole positive-negative feedback system of theirs that needs a fairness overhaul as well.

Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of eBay anymore. Heard too many displeasurable experiences. icon_ponder.gif

I would disagree, you should be allowed to remove something, before someone bids, or edit, funny things can happen, but, you should not make a habit of removing things ever! ! decide what you want to do before posting

i agree -an ebay bid is not a sale- it's an offer to sell the item in a few days.

I would disagree, you should be allowed to remove something, before someone bids, or edit, funny things can happen, but, you should not make a habit of removing things ever! ! decide what you want to do before posting

It did have bids before the auction was canceled:

Bidder n***o Cancelled: US $24.99

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-12-10 17:09:45 PST

Cancelled: Dec-18-10 12:57:44 PST

Bidder s***_ Cancelled: US $26.00

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-14-10 16:21:44 PST

It did have bids before the auction was canceled:

Bidder n***o Cancelled: US $24.99

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-12-10 17:09:45 PST

Bidder s***_ Cancelled: US $26.00

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-14-10 16:21:44 PST

Yes, it did have bidders ;) No side deal attempted though :D

It is discouraging that this guy thought it perfectly fine to delist an auction from ebay because he had a "local" buyer. Personally once i get something up on ebay, I pack it up and its ready to go. Aside from the ethics of it all, I wouldnt want to go through the trouble of relisting with new pictures after going through all the trouble the first time, but thats just me.

In general I think that if you go through with putting something up on ebay, you should have every intention of selling it through ebay. Of course this only wouldnt concern things like theft, fire, natural disasters, etc. I've actually heard "The bids werent as high as I was hoping for" as a reason, which is kinda dumb since there are reserves and BINs offered for those who arent too cheap.

Ebay is pretty flexible on letting sellers cancel auctions. However, there are times when I can see where a seller is justified to end an auction early, in this case there is no real justification unless it was ended and sold to the current highest bidder. (Ebay's rules, not mine.)

I had an expensive auction going a few years back and what a pain in the ass that was. The first winner was international and didn't want to pay the shipping rate so I could get proof of delivery. Second chance offer fell through. Two weeks wasted right there. Re-listed and within three days of winning the winner was no longer a registered user of Ebay. Once again another two weeks wasted. Re-listed and it hit a point where I was happy with it and sold it to the highest bidder as from the questions he was asking I knew he wanted it and was serious about having the transaction go through.

Seriously. The way things are going on Ebay right now, if I had an auction going and an Atari Age member was the highest bidder and asked me to end the auction early, I probably would. It wouldn't be done outside Ebay and it wouldn't violate Ebay's policy either. Some of these buyers (or potential buyers) will drive you crazy.

In my past group of auctions I had someone say their daughter bought one item by mistake. (This also happened about six months ago when i was selling new Ipads.) Another auction the winner told me his PayPal account got blocked and he couldn't buy the item, so I re-listed it. A day later, after it was sold to someone else, he payed for it. And these best offers that you get are just damn insulting. And then there is the International "gift" thing. I had one buyer threaten me negative feedback if i didn't lie and say it was a gift.

Maybe it's just me and I have bad luck with buyers. But, I really think that Ebay's new buyer friendly policies and the success rate of getting a good transaction to go through are pushing sellers to take any decent offer they can get.

My general expectations of what happens on Ebay is not that high. I find something I want, put in a snipe, if i get win the item and actually get it within 30 days I consider myself lucky.

We've been in touch for several days, shared some laughs. bicmachippydude2 is an awesome guy. He sold it for $60 to a really rad collector. We jammed. Thanks (looks right into camera) AtariAge

I hope you told him he got shafted; $60.00 for a quadrun, that's a pretty decent deal. ( Oh ya, plus those other 3 games that he really wanted BS! :D )

This actually happened to me as the buyer a couple of years ago. It was some playstation games and a carrying case being sold on Kijiji. I emailed and offered a price that the seller accepted and went to pick them up. When I get there and pay for them he tells me that after I leave he has to go cancel the ebay auction that he had up for them as well. He was advertising on both ebay AND Kijiji at the same time. I didn't ask but I should have - what would he have done if he got a bid the same time I'm there to pick these up? :?

So I guess, without my knowledge, I've been the guy to hunt down :D

We've been in touch for several days, shared some laughs. bicmachippydude2 is an awesome guy. He sold it for $60 to a really rad collector. We jammed. Thanks (looks right into camera) AtariAge

I hope you told him he got shafted; $60.00 for a quadrun, that's a pretty decent deal. ( Oh ya, plus those other 3 games that he really wanted BS! :D )

Yeah, I told him he got shafted but not too shafted since I was waiting to shaft him for less (the auction was at less than $30 before he pulled it - I was hoping to snipe it for $50 max - and I would've picked through ALL the commons as well as fired up the 7800.) The word Quadrun never appeared in the description so I know it flew under the radar for the most part. I'm glad it went to a collector and glad he sold it for more than I would've bid on it.