IGNORED

Games done better on the "technically inferior" console

mbd30

The Sega Saturn always did the 2-D fighting games way better than the PS1. Many times back in the day.....the Saturn got the better review score on games like the Street Fighter Alpha's, Marvel Superheroes, Xmen vs Street Fighter....etc.etc.

The Neo Geo did 2D fighting games better than ANY 32-bit system and even the N64. You had to move up into Dreamcast/PS2/XBOX/Gamecube territory before you could find a system that looked as good. King of Fighters probably looks even better in some ways on the NG than the Dreamcast.

The Sega Saturn always did the 2-D fighting games way better than the PS1. Many times back in the day.....the Saturn got the better review score on games like the Street Fighter Alpha's, Marvel Superheroes, Xmen vs Street Fighter....etc.etc.

The Neo Geo did 2D fighting games better than ANY 32-bit system and even the N64. You had to move up into Dreamcast/PS2/XBOX/Gamecube territory before you could find a system that looked as good. King of Fighters probably looks even better in some ways on the NG than the Dreamcast.

I'll agree with you on that. I have 3 versions of KOF 99 .Neo Geo AES, Dreamcast and PS1. I rate them in that order.....lol.

I'll agree with you on that. I have 3 versions of KOF 99 .Neo Geo AES, Dreamcast and PS1. I rate them in that order.....lol.

Neo Geo was so ahead of its time. Released around 1990 and still holding its own years later in terms of 2D graphics prowess. Not that I've ever owned one. I've only played it in arcade machine form, and on emulators.

Um...the Saturn was designed with 2D in mind (or moreso than the PS1) so I wouldn't say it was "technically inferior" when it's superior at the job that was asked of it.

One game that comes to mind for me would be Battletoads. That was on NES and SNES/GENESIS, and Honestly, I think the NES was the best version of them.

But technically speaking the Saturn is far better at 2D than the PS1.

There are loads of examples I can think of from the Spectrum or the 2600:

R-Type on the Spectrum is much better than the other 8-bit computer version as was Chase HQ, Dan Dare 3 and Robocop.

For the 2600 there are games like Space Invaders, Defender 2 and Galaxian that play better than versions on more "superior" machines.

But technically speaking the Saturn is far better at 2D than the PS1.

There are loads of examples I can think of from the Spectrum or the 2600:

R-Type on the Spectrum is much better than the other 8-bit computer version as was Chase HQ, Dan Dare 3 and Robocop.

For the 2600 there are games like Space Invaders, Defender 2 and Galaxian that play better than versions on more "superior" machines.

I'm curious, having not played it or the c64 or the MSX version or any other 8bit computer version. What makes better? Better play controls or such?

Hmm, let's see. Ninja Gaiden (all three) are better on the NES than the SNES trilogy port. Batman: Revenge of the Joker is better on the NES than the Genesis.

Neo Geo was so ahead of its time.

Not really. CPS-1 has better specs than the NeoGeo. NeoGeo just had a longer life cycle than other comparable arcade systems.

Edited by malducci

I'd take just about any version of Spy Hunter (Atari 2600, C-64, ColecoVision) over that crappy NES version by Sunsoft (which, sadly, is the version of the game that most people are familiar with). The 2600 version in particular was an amazingly playable port considering the limitations of the console.

"Joust" on the Atari 400/800/XL/XE/XEGS is my favorite of all time. Graphically, it's lacking. The birds-sprites are one color. But the playability! It's fast and excellent. You can get to bouncing off the top of the screen and landing on foes - better than any other version.

• Like 1

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 was better on the Sega Master System than on Genesis.

Toki is also better on Lynx than on Genesis.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica on Dreamcast is better than the PS2-port.

Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast is also better than the Xbox-version.

Prince of Persia on Genesis is better than PoP on Sega CD.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 was better on the Sega Master System than on Genesis.

I don't agree with that one. StH1 on the 8-bits was good, no question, but the game was designed to take advantage of the Genesis's state-of-the-art-at-the-time hardware, and it shows.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is better on the SNES and Genesis than it is on the Saturn. The Saturn developers went for a straight port of the (incomplete) arcade game, and the load times that plague all disc-based fighting games are in full effect here. Meanwhile the 16-bit devs very cleverly tweaked the game to hide the 16-bit hardware's limitations, and also take better advantage of what was available to them. Sheeva went missing, but a whole host of others became playable characters, including all of the "hidden" ninjas like Ermac and Noob Saibot. Animalities didn't make it, but Brutalities took their place, cleverly making new use existing animations. The SNES's larger on-screen color palette allowed for prettier backgrounds, but the Genesis made up for it by having more arenas, since the fewer colors allowed more graphics to be crammed into the cartridge. And finally, all of the characters have biographies in the 16bit ports, where the arcade game and the Saturn port only offer four bios.

Outside of the arcade, Marble Madness is best on the Commodore Amiga, but the NES version is actually a hair better than the Genesis version in my opinion. While the Genesis's graphics look closer to the arcade game's, the music and sound effects are a real let-down, compared to the very good job the 8-bit devs did with the NES audio hardware.

Xevious on the Apple II is a surprisingly decent, if slow, port, while the C-64 release is a half-baked disappointment. Moon Patrol, Mario Bros. and Ikari Warriors also play better on the supposedly inferior of the two computers. Both systems, however, have a much better Karateka than the "superior" Atari 7800 (just how superior the Atari 7800 is than earlier 8-bit computers is of course a source of much debate).

Edited by FujiSkunk

Neo Geo was so ahead of its time.

Not really. CPS-1 has better specs than the NeoGeo. NeoGeo just had a longer life cycle than other comparable arcade systems.

Perhaps not so much compared with contemporary arcade hardware. For a 1990 home video game console it was miles ahead (which makes sense considering how ridiculously expensive it was). It took years for other consoles to fully catch up with NG in the 2D department... Of course this has a lot to do with the the 32-bit era shift from 2D to 3D and hardly anyone caring about good 2D graphics anymore.

Space Invaders on the Colecovision is the most obvious one to me.. arcade accurate, and all the tricks & techniques built in which blows away the NES / 5200 versions etc. Heck I even think it's better than the SNES/SuperGB version in light that it has SI part 2 built in. :)

• Like 1

I'm curious, having not played it or the c64 or the MSX version or any other 8bit computer version. What makes better? Better play controls or such?

It looks better for a start, full colour with no attribute clash. Has all the enemies, unlike the C64 and it plays superb with almost perfect collision detection. Its a programming miracle that it runs on the 48k version of the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEfqhc-gq0

Space Invaders on the Colecovision is the most obvious one to me.. arcade accurate, and all the tricks & techniques built in which blows away the NES / 5200 versions etc. Heck I even think it's better than the SNES/SuperGB version in light that it has SI part 2 built in. :)

I think Space Invaders on the 2600 is better than the 5200 version...

Outside of the arcade, Marble Madness is best on the Commodore Amiga, but the NES version is actually a hair better than the Genesis version in my opinion. While the Genesis's graphics look closer to the arcade game's, the music and sound effects are a real let-down, compared to the very good job the 8-bit devs did with the NES audio hardware.

I agree that the Genesis port by Electronic Arts is a major letdown, but you should check out the

. It's pretty much an arcade-perfect translation to the Mega Drive. Unfortunately it hasn't been dumped so the real thing is your only option for the moment. You can find it for $35+ on Ebay.