IGNORED

SIO2SD - Daisy-Chaining Problem

flashjazzcat

I've just finished an SIO2SD conversion, and I wonder if someone (perhaps even the unit's owner) can shed light on one problem I'm having. I've wired up a pass-through connection, as I have with so many other boards, but the SIO device (in this case, an XF551 or second SIO2SD) connected to the pass-through can't be accessed. I just get "Drive NAK".

Now the only thing about this SIO2SD board is that it's an older revision to all the others I've used. It doesn't have the 74HC245. I've continuity tested the pass-thru connector: all OK. No shorts, either (and this would render the SIO2SD itself kaput, anyway).

Puzzling. I have a dreaded feeling the single IC boards have some lurking problem with daisychaining...

Ideas appreciated. Sunday went downhill fast, and this week isn't looking up any yet...

EDIT: wiring's OK, since the computer boots off the daisy-chained XF551 when the SIO2SD is booted into Config mode. So this is odd: even though I have no SIO2SD drives mounted, the XF will only show up when the SIO2SD is booted with K4 pressed.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Certainly this has nothing to do... anyway...

In Pigula's old SIO2SD documentation (v1.1) there was an additional page:

you must put diode BAT85 to use SIO2SD with disk drive or SIO2PC

EDIT

This page was missing in SIO2SD v1.2 documentation so I asked Pigula about this and he replied:

You have the last oficial sio2sd (v2.5), diode Bat85 is on the pcb.

Hope it helps.

EDIT

This page was missing in SIO2SD v1.2 documentation so I asked Pigula about this and he replied:

Hope it helps.

How does Pigula know which board I have? According to this, bf2k+'s is the Version 1 board. Can you point me to the documentation mentioning the BAT85 diode, Phil? I think I only have the newer docs. I suppose I could deduce placement of the diode by comparing schematics...

EDIT: Ah - it's OK. It goes between pin 15 of the Atmel and Data In. The board'll have to come out again...

Thanks!

EDIT: It works a treat. Thanks again Phil!

Edited by flashjazzcat

EDIT

Hope it helps.

How does Pigula know which board I have? According to this, bf2k+'s is the Version 1 board. Can you point me to the documentation mentioning the BAT85 diode, Phil? I think I only have the newer docs. I suppose I could deduce placement of the diode by comparing schematics...

EDIT: Ah - it's OK. It goes between pin 15 of the Atmel and Data In. The board'll have to come out again...

Thanks!

EDIT: It works a treat. Thanks again Phil!

you can run into a similar issue with SDrive and SIO2PCs.

Edited by a8isa1