IGNORED

Disk Wizard II/DiskwizII

russg

I just checked Atarimania.com utilities for my favorite disk editor C.A.P. Disk Wizard II 2.5 and found

Allenware Diswiz-II but not CAP.

I've never heard of the Allenware one. Can anyone compare them? I definitely think CAP Disk Wizard should be at Atarimania.

CAP Disk Wizard II 2.5 has sector editor, disk backup, disassembler, disk speed and works single or double density.

It would be a shame if CAP DWII got lost because of the Allenware one, (my opinion).

diskwzd.zip

• Like 1

I am not familiar with the CAP DiskWizard, but I use Allenware DiskWiz all the time. It does SD and DD, edits in hex and character mode, searches, disassembles, and - great for those CF drives - it will read out to 32,000 sectors or some such. Never know when you might want to peek at sector 17,921...!

Bob

I just checked Atarimania.com utilities for my favorite disk editor C.A.P. Disk Wizard II 2.5 and found

I've never heard of the Allenware one. Can anyone compare them? I definitely think CAP Disk Wizard should be at Atarimania.

CAP Disk Wizard II 2.5 has sector editor, disk backup, disassembler, disk speed and works single or double density.

It would be a shame if CAP DWII got lost because of the Allenware one, (my opinion).

I have originals of each and I've always favored DiskWizard II because it could be converted fairly easily to a BLoad file that works well from a hard drive. I also always liked the straight-forward menu operation of DWII, even though it takes quite a few key strokes to perform most operations. BTW, Jerry Allen (DiskWizI/II) also wrote Macro Dos, a fairly early DUP.SYS "replacement" for Dos 2.0s that allowed instant access to most DUP operations without MEM.SAV or losing your BASIC program. It was published in COMPUTE!, June/July, 1984, and the source code was available for purchase from him. IIRC, he also wrote an 800 replacement OS for the XL/XE -- XLBOSS?

-Larry

I can load DiskWiz from a hard drive (CF card).

You're going to make me try Disk Wizard, aren't you...

Bob

I have originals of each and I've always favored DiskWizard II because it could be converted fairly easily to a BLoad file that works well from a hard drive. I also always liked the straight-forward menu operation of DWII, even though it takes quite a few key strokes to perform most operations. BTW, Jerry Allen (DiskWizI/II) also wrote Macro Dos, a fairly early DUP.SYS "replacement" for Dos 2.0s that allowed instant access to most DUP operations without MEM.SAV or losing your BASIC program. It was published in COMPUTE!, June/July, 1984, and the source code was available for purchase from him. IIRC, he also wrote an 800 replacement OS for the XL/XE -- XLBOSS?

-Larry

Both versions and many other utilities can be found here http://pokeysoft.no/games/atari/a8util.htm :)

On your site, I found disk doctor II, disk magic, diskey II, disk keeper II, disk hacker 2, several sector copiers, disk data, sector surgeon, disk copy and, yes, Disk Wizard II 2.1, but not diskwizII (Allenware).

I would guess C.A.P. Disk Wizard II (2.5 I have) and Allenware DiskwizII are related somehow and very similar.

Disk Wizard II 2.5 is the one I always used, it has a hex or ATASCII search feature also.

Of course, I scrolled fast thru your site and may have passed Allenware DiskwizII. Since Bob1200XL uses Allenware, I would

guess it is about the same as C.A.P., I don't know if there is a maximum sectors, never used it with a hard drive.

I've just started going through a box of floppies I got off ebay, and just the other day came across a copy of this program, I've checked it and it is version 2.0. Checking through all the other dumps I have they are all v2.1, and yours is v2.5 (nice loading screen!). So anyway here is v2.0, oldie but goodie! Love the serial numbers on the title screen :)

This program in one form or another is what I've used most for sector copying, but recently started using the Happy sector copier, nice and fast and supports ramdisk, can ignore errors and continue, quicker setup, but still like Disk Wizard and keep a copy on floppy handy.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if any disk duplication software can automatically detect the format (single/dual/double) of the source disk without having to manually pick it?

MyCopyr2.1 :)

Copy 2000 is also a good one. Another great thing about that is it is perfectly capable of using PoKey divisor of 0 (6X read&write) as well as using extended RAM. My 320K machine can do single pass copies of DD disks.

Anyone know if any disk duplication software can automatically detect the format (single/dual/double) of the source disk without having to manually pick it?

Copy 2000 is also a good one. Another great thing about that is it is perfectly capable of using PoKey divisor of 0 (6X read&write) as well as using extended RAM. My 320K machine can do single pass copies of DD disks.

That's especially impressive, considering those are double-density sectors behind every SIO beep.

Question #1: Is that an LCD screen for the 8-bit? If so, how did you eliminate the vertical lines?

Next Question: How does this speed compare to (1) Commodore 64's max floppy speed (obviously with the best Fastloader, as it wouldn't make sense to ask without), and (2) Apple II. The Apple II drives really seemed excellent (fast) to to me, despite my limited use of them.

That's especially impressive, considering those are double-density sectors behind every SIO beep.

Question #1: Is that an LCD screen for the 8-bit? If so, how did you eliminate the vertical lines?

Next Question: How does this speed compare to (1) Commodore 64's max floppy speed (obviously with the best Fastloader, as it wouldn't make sense to ask without), and (2) Apple II. The Apple II drives really seemed excellent (fast) to to me, despite my limited use of them.

Yes - I am using a Dynex 22" 16:9 LCD. Unfortunately, when the Atari is hooked directly to it, the vertical banding is terrible. So, I am running the A8 through the VGA port on the Dynex. The signal is not properly de-interlaced, but the advantage is that the "flicker" modes do not.

I honestly do not know what the max Commodore 1541 loading speed is. I believe with fast loaders, they can absolutely wipe the floor clean compared to our max SIO transfers. The only way to get truly impressive load speeds on our machine is to use a hard drive via the PBI.

Where can we get Copy 2000?

Bob

Yes - I am using a Dynex 22" 16:9 LCD. Unfortunately, when the Atari is hooked directly to it, the vertical banding is terrible. So, I am running the A8 through the VGA port on the Dynex. The signal is not properly de-interlaced, but the advantage is that the "flicker" modes do not.

I honestly do not know what the max Commodore 1541 loading speed is. I believe with fast loaders, they can absolutely wipe the floor clean compared to our max SIO transfers. The only way to get truly impressive load speeds on our machine is to use a hard drive via the PBI.

I tried copy2000 which came from a SIO2PC.ZIP I had. It doesn't work in an emulator, at least I couldn't get it to in Atari800winplus 4. And it didn't recognize my Newell 256K upgrade, it only saw 55K, but it is nice and fast. I don't know

how to change the source and destination drive numbers, tried CONSOL keys. Oh, what the hey. here's my copy.

COPY2000.ZIP

Edited by russg

• 5 years later...