IGNORED

21 Blue, an Atari 2600 homebrew

RevEng

No problem - glad you're enjoying it!

Al was cool with an uncensored release, so I've added the latest release to the first post.

The game is pretty much done now I think, except for the remaining AtariVox work in progress.

Excellent work. The graphics look great. I feel dirty now. :P

I'm fairly certain this is the first A/O game for 2600 that has distinguishable nudity. Everything else takes imagination. If you were extremely naive or innocent the mystique graphics could be mistaken for things like, oh he is just killing the Indian with a sword, or they are just catching a drink because they are thirsty...

AX

I'm fairly certain this is the first A/O game for 2600 that has distinguishable nudity. Everything else takes imagination. If you were extremely naive or innocent the mystique graphics could be mistaken for things like, oh he is just killing the Indian with a sword, or they are just catching a drink because they are thirsty...

AX

I can't agree more. This game really is a new genre for the Atari 2600.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to be breaking new ground, even if it's taboo ground. :D

I've added the underlying code for Vox and tied it in to my song engine. Here's a teaser sample...

21 Blue Theme with accompanyment.mp3

I've decided that having AtariVox talking during each hand would become annoying quickly, so instead having all of you stab your eardrums with a pen, I'm just going to add voice to certain less-common events.

I have some thoughts what Vox could say at each of these events, but I'd love to hear if anybody has clever one-liners for any of them, and suggestions for other events are welcome too!

• shuffling cards
  • player wins by blackjack
  • dealer wins by blackjack
  • dealer removes her first clothing
  • player wins/dealer removes her final clothing
  • player loses

Thanks guys. I'm glad to be breaking new ground, even if it's taboo ground. :D

I've added the underlying code for Vox and tied it in to my song engine. Here's a teaser sample...

21 Blue Theme with accompanyment.mp3

I've decided that having AtariVox talking during each hand would become annoying quickly, so instead having all of you stab your eardrums with a pen, I'm just going to add voice to certain less-common events.

I have some thoughts what Vox could say at each of these events, but I'd love to hear if anybody has clever one-liners for any of them, and suggestions for other events are welcome too!

• shuffling cards
  • player loses

:rolling: :thumbsup:

AX

• shuffling cards
  • player loses

First, that MP3, though so short, is really cool! I would love to hear a complete song like that, but am not asking you to undertake such a project. Dunno exactly what "Vox" is, but I guess it must be this male voice? The one-liners would be different, depending on male or female voice. The male voice would comment like an observer but the female voice would comment as the dealer.

TiN[]BoX

• shuffling cards
  • player loses

First, that MP3, though so short, is really cool! I would love to hear a complete song like that, but am not asking you to undertake such a project. Dunno exactly what "Vox" is, but I guess it must be this male voice? The one-liners would be different, depending on male or female voice. The male voice would comment like an observer but the female voice would comment as the dealer.

TiN[]BoX

"Whoa man... you really rack up those wins."

"Win... Loose... tit for a tat."

"You lost your shirt with that hand!"

"Chicken, Don't play like a boob!"

:D

First, that MP3, though so short, is really cool! I would love to hear a complete song like that, but am not asking you to undertake such a project. Dunno exactly what "Vox" is...

Thanks for the positive comments on the mp3! The 21 Blue theme is definitely a jingle that needs to be short, but I agree that Vox musical accompaniment is some interesting territory.

"Vox" is short for AtariVox. It's a piece of hardware that plugs into the second joystick port, and provides the synthesized voice for 2600/7800/Vectrex games that support it as an option.

but I guess it must be this male voice? The one-liners would be different, depending on male or female voice. The male voice would comment like an observer but the female voice would comment as the dealer.

I'm aiming for a female voice, but limitations will probably mean it's going to sound like a manbot pretending he's a ladybot... not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

"Whoa man... you really rack up those wins."

"Win... Loose... tit for a tat."

"You lost your shirt with that hand!"

"Chicken, Don't play like a boob!"

Definitely some gold in them thar hills. Thanks Ax! :)

The 21 Blue theme is definitely a jingle that needs to be short, but I agree that Vox musical accompaniment is some interesting territory.

"Vox" is short for AtariVox. It's a piece of hardware that plugs into the second joystick port, and provides the synthesized voice for 2600/7800/Vectrex games that support it as an option.

I'm aiming for a female voice, but limitations will probably mean it's going to sound like a manbot pretending he's a ladybot... not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

It has a ragtime element to it, sort of charming, and it seems like part of a song. Too bad the VOX peripheral is needed to achieve that, it limits the market, but then on the other hand, fans can buy a VOX.

"Lets mix 'em up!" (shuffling cards)

"Oh, snap!" (player wins by blackjack)

"I'm hot tonight!" (dealer wins by blackjack)

"I'll make a comeback after this" (dealer removes her first clothing)

"You didn't tell me you were a [pro/shark/expert]" (player wins/dealer removes her final clothing)

"Thanks baby, I'll buy a [new outfit/pair of heels/spa vacation] (player loses)

The variations in the last two could be assigned by the final score, for example a slight loss could be the heels and a big loss could trigger the spa vacation.

TiN[]BoX

It has a ragtime element to it, sort of charming, and it seems like part of a song. Too bad the VOX peripheral is needed to achieve that, it limits the market, but then on the other hand, fans can buy a VOX.

Exactly... the game will work just fine without it, especially since the dealers "say" cheeky comments with the text on the screen, so really it's not a big deal if someone doesn't have one.

"Lets mix 'em up!" (shuffling cards)

"Oh, snap!" (player wins by blackjack)

"I'm hot tonight!" (dealer wins by blackjack)

"I'll make a comeback after this" (dealer removes her first clothing)

"You didn't tell me you were a [pro/shark/expert]" (player wins/dealer removes her final clothing)

"Thanks baby, I'll buy a [new outfit/pair of heels/spa vacation] (player loses)

The variations in the last two could be assigned by the final score, for example a slight loss could be the heels and a big loss could trigger the spa vacation.

TiN[]BoX

Thanks! Between you and Ax, I have a lot of good stuff to work with - I may shorten some - but you'll recognize them as yours!

• 4 weeks later...

I finished up the vox work and posted a new release in the first post.

I noticed something interesting when testing. Turning down the contrast on the TV just a bit enhances the display considerably. That's definitely something I'll need to add to the instructions.

Consider this release a final release candidate... Unless someone finds a bug to fix or comes up with a brilliant change I can implement in 8 bytes, this will be the final version.

Thanks for all of the constructive criticisms, suggestions, and positive feedback folks! When I posted this thing to AA last December, I figured it was nearly done; I sorely underestimated your ability to coax the best out of a homebrewer's effort, and for that you have my gratitude! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I finally tried this out. Nice sounds, controls, interface, and of course nice graphics.

Has anyone else tried this on Harmony? I'm getting some funny numbers in the 60's and 70's.

post-2163-0-05989800-1304618053_thumb.jpg

I'm no Blackjack expert, but I think 62 would be a bust?

(21blue.NTSC.20110403, Harmony firmware 1.05, 4-switch woody)

I'm no Blackjack expert, but I think 62 would be a bust?

I couldn't find the video... but this reminded me of a Naked Gun quote. It fits well with this game.

Lt. Frank Drebin: Miss, I'm Lt. Frank Drebin, and this is Captain Ed Hocken, Police Squad.

Busty Female Shop Assistant: Is this some kind of bust?

Lt. Frank Drebin: Well... it's very impressive, yes, but we need to ask you a few questions.