IGNORED

Sega 32X - Worth it?

SlowCoder

The 32X overall is a pile of shit.

Kolibri and Blackthorne are the only two games in my 32x library that I even play...

and I have the whole library. somewhere. in a box because they all suck. DOOM for the 32X is RETARDED. Farty music, grainy graphics, blah.

Kolibri is like an Amiga game. It reminds me of Agony. Its like Agony + Ecco the Dolphin or something.

If you find a 32x for like 5$ get it, but if its 20$ or more, screw it. Youre better off spending the 20$ on mcdonalds or something

Edited by Arkhan

Kolibri and Blackthorne are the only two games in my 32x library that I even play...

and I have the whole library. somewhere. in a box because they all suck. DOOM for the 32X is RETARDED. Farty music, grainy graphics, blah.

Kolibri is like an Amiga game. It reminds me of Agony. Its like Agony + Ecco the Dolphin or something.

If you find a 32x for like 5$ get it, but if its 20$ or more, screw it. Youre better off spending the 20$ on mcdonalds or something

Can I have the pile of shit you have in a box some where? I would love to own those things you seem to loth. Just saying. If they mean nothing to you I could give them a loving home for sure!

• Like 2

Can I have the pile of shit you have in a box some where? I would love to own those things you seem to loth. Just saying. If they mean nothing to you I could give them a loving home for sure!

I bid $25 in McD's gift certificates for ShitInABox. My box only has some of the shit and I need the rest of the shit.

If it weren't a Sega product, I would. Im one of those people that will keep anything Sega made even if it does suck.

Plus Kolibri DOES make it worth owning as long as you dont pay more than like 50$ for the combination of the 32X + game.

Im going to the local game store tomorrow (www.videogameconnection.com)

If I see a cheap 32X ill grab it and let you know :D

You can totallllllllly tell this was made by Amiga people. It has Psygnosis written all over the style.

Its the best 32X game.

If it weren't a Sega product, I would. Im one of those people that will keep anything Sega made even if it does suck.

Plus Kolibri DOES make it worth owning as long as you dont pay more than like 50$ for the combination of the 32X + game.

Im going to the local game store tomorrow (www.videogameconnection.com)

If I see a cheap 32X ill grab it and let you know :D

You can totallllllllly tell this was made by Amiga people. It has Psygnosis written all over the style.

Its the best 32X game.

That one does look cool and it wasn't even on my radar. I will add it to my want list for my own box o' shit.

I've had my 32x permanently connected to my Model 1 for over 13 years! I love it, but I admit I have reasons for that.

I got mine on clearance way back in 1997 for $15 at Meijer. I also picked up Doom for only $5 at Walmart around the same time.

This was right around the same time when my wife and I first moved in together. I was between jobs, and she was on winter break from grad school. Needless to say, we were very poor. We couldn't afford a SNES or any other newer system, but we played the HELL out of that 32x, Doom in particular. icon_mrgreen.gif

Kolibri isn't that good. There are other 32X games that easily eclipse it.

Such as?

Tempo is good, so is shadow Squadron, Starwars of course,space Harrier. Kolibri is for sure in my top 5 though.

My setup is the model one Genesis,Sega CD base and 32x. Lots of fun in a small space,also have the wireless controllers. :D

Such as?

Knuckles' Chaotix, Star Wars Arcade, DOOM, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racer, Shadow Squadron, Mortal Kombat II, and Blackthorne. There are other games as good as Kolibri as well, such After Burner II, Space Harrier, Metal Head, 36 Great Holes, World Series Baseball, Spider-man, and NBA Jam. I don't personally like these titles, but Tempo, Zaxxon's Motherbase, WWF Wrestlemania, Toughman, Pitfall, and Primal Rage, and T-MEK are generally well received. Basically, your level of shit talking isn't justified, and quite frankly is old hat.

Edited by Rev. Rob
  • Like 1

Knuckles' Chaotix, Star Wars Arcade, DOOM, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racer, Shadow Squadron, Mortal Kombat II, and Blackthorne. There are other games as good as Kolibri as well, such After Burner II, Space Harrier, Metal Head, 36 Great Holes, World Series Baseball, Spider-man, and NBA Jam. I don't personally like these titles, but Tempo, Zaxxon's Motherbase, WWF Wrestlemania, Toughman, Pitfall, and Primal Rage, and T-MEK are generally well received. Basically, your level of shit talking isn't justified, and quite frankly is old hat.

note I said Blackthorne and Kolibri are the only two games I play on the 32X, with Kolibri being the best simply because BT exists elsewhere.

I have the entire library, I played all the games, I think my shit talking is perfectly justified because:

Star Wars Arcade: Eh. It looks really neat but its pretty frigging boring dude, and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I couldn't get into it. The arcade one that came out awhile later was frigging tits though. Too bad the 32X one wasnt as fun.

Shadow Squadron: I forgot about this game. It is pretty good. Better that Star Wars. Still nothing spectacular.

Metal Head: Uninspiring disaster. It could have been way better, but it wasn't.

36 Great Holes: Whatever, its golf. I don't know if its good or bad really. Its golf.

DOOM: Sucks on the 32X and exists in better forms elsewhere.. Even the SNES one does better, but anyone in 2011 should be able to get the DOS one and stop kidding themselves about console ones. It sucks on all consoles except the PSX. The Jag one might have been awesome if it had music. But it didn't.

Virtua Fighter: Isn't really that good no matter where you play it, and the Saturn one is better. Who likes sluggish polygon fighters with lurpy physics? I dont. Tobal #1 please.

Virtua Racer: Maybe. I'm bias and don't do car games too often, and when I do it sure as hell isn't this one.

Mortal Kombat II: The entire MK series sucks IMHO. I don't like herky jerky motion capture fighting games. They're a dumb 90's gimmick.

Space Harrier: Nothing over the top really. The PCE version is equally good and doesn't require the mongoloidian 32X setup

After Burner II: Same thing. PCE or plain Genesis one are just as good. If you have a 32x, I guess its cool, but if you already have the friggin game on a bunch of other platforms, its not really a remarkable game for the 32x, and it shouldn't be. Afterburner came out in 87.

Baseball: *shrug* Not too fancy compared to its other releases, and wasn't that great anyways. It was one of those "lets see if this is a good idea" games. It was a bad idea. RBI Baseball 3 was a good idea.

Spiderman: Aside from the music being a disaster, its fun, but I'll take Maximum Carnage any day. The 32X game is kind of empty and generic.

Tempo: I try to like this game because its colorful and the musics fun, but I get bored. I don't know why. Probably because of all the other platformers I play. Ill probably give it another shot one day and like it.

Chaotix: Its a run of the mill sonic extravaganza with Knuckles instead. Its nothing great. Sonic 2 is though! I guess in retrospect I'm thankful for the game since Sonic has gone downhill, but at the time, I was like "bah"

Zaxxon: F*** Zaxxon. I didn't like the original and don't like an overly polygoned one either. ;) Maybe this ones good, if you like Zaxxon!

WWF Wrestlemania: Its about as corny as every other WWF game. Its fun for a few plays, but then what? It gets old like all the other WWF games... it sure isn't a gotta-have title.

Toughman: A crappy Super Punch Out wannabe.

Pitfall: Nothing too remarkable over the regular or SNES ones..

Primal Rage: SNES version is just as good, and the move-entry sucks.

TMEK: This is only fun with other humans, otherwise its boring, just like the arcade one.

We left out Cosmic Carnage. Its ok, if you don't already have better fighters.

So there is my two cents on the games you mentioned. Take it or leave it.

If the 32X had some better action/adventure games (A castlevania!), a contra (Hard Corps on the Genesis was frigging awesome), and some RPGs, it might be alot more worth it. As it stands the library is piss poor. You can get most of these games on other consoles and have an equally fun time, possibly an even better time... or you can play games of the same general style that are better. If you find the games cheaply and either have a 32X already, or find that cheaply also, they are at least worth firing up and giving a go, but I don't suggest anyone make it a huge deal to find and acquire most of the library. Like I said its 2011, there are better retro options out there that are more common.

It's MY damn thread. If you want a 32X, go find one elsewhere! icon_mrgreen.gif

It's MY damn thread. If you want a 32X, go find one elsewhere! icon_mrgreen.gif

I am working on a pile of shit in a box for you, SloCo! Hang in there!

An opposing view on "Kolibri". Mind you, this review might be way off. I've never bothered with the 32x and I've never played it.

http://www.videogamecritic.net/32xal.htm#Kolibri

The tone of the Kolibri review gave me the impression that the reviewer is afraid to admit he doesn't like things that aren't manly man-caliber. :D

ITS GOT HUMMINGBIRDS? AND HARPS? *flex biceps* LAME.

:)

but, it IS true, if you don't like Ecco, don't like kinda calming games (its a bunch of tranquil scenery and music, with shootystuff), or hate hummingbirds and nature, you are going to not like Kolibri. Just like how, the reviewer there says the golf game is great. I don't care, its golf. To hell with golf, its boring.

The rest of the reviews are pretty much my feelings on the 32x. Note how Blackthorne got a kickass review, because that game is kickass.

DOOM: Sucks on the 32X and exists in better forms elsewhere.. Even the SNES one does better,

SNES DOOM is better? Well, perhaps the music, but that's it! Smaller display, no ceiling or floor textures, slower frame rate, only a few more levels, but we've got the JagDoom level hack for the 32X now giving the 32X MORE levels than the SNES version. :cool:

For the time when it came out, 32X Doom was pretty good. Could it have been better? Sure. Are there better Doom versions now? Well duh! It doesn't matter, though; we're talking about the 32X. Complaining that 32X DOOM isn't as good as Doomsday with the model and texture packs is as silly as complaining that Knuckles Chaotix isn't as good as Sonic 4! ;)

Edited by Chilly Willy

Mortal Kombat II: The entire MK series sucks IMHO. I don't like herky jerky motion capture fighting games. They're a dumb 90's gimmick.

All credibility lost, IMHO! :P

It sounds like games on 32X that aren't Kilobri just don't fit your personal tastes. That doesn't make it a pile of shit. It just makes it not that ideal for you. You have to admit, most of the games you dismissed are generally considered to be classics. I don't like Final Fantasy IV or Phantasy Star, because I hate turned based RPGs. Doesn't mean they're piles of shit, they're probably as great as everyone says. Just not for me.

Zaxxon: F*** Zaxxon.

No argument here. Fuck that game.

All credibility lost, IMHO! :P

Nah, there are better fighters of the era, theyre called Street Fighter 2. :D

Also, Eternal Champions for plain ol' Genesis kicks the piss out of the MK games. MK games are clunky. Remove the gore gimmick, and the fighting aspect is pretty craptastic.

It sounds like games on 32X that aren't Kilobri just don't fit your personal tastes. That doesn't make it a pile of shit. It just makes it not that ideal for you. You have to admit, most of the games you dismissed are generally considered to be classics. I don't like Final Fantasy IV or Phantasy Star, because I hate turned based RPGs. Doesn't mean they're piles of shit, they're probably as great as everyone says. Just not for me.

Whoa now, lets not get carried away. I play a ton of different types of games. All of the genres the 32x has, except for Golf.

The problem is just that the games on the 32x for each respective genre are no shining stars. They're all mediocre, especially considering what they COULD have been. Look at the plain Genesis in comparison. Ristar! That platformer trumps Chaotix, and Tempo. Sonic CD? Cmon, that does so much better too.

I love first person space-ship explode-the-fuck-out-of-stuff games (Theyre my favorite genre outside of RPGs), and was really disappointed/pissed that the Star Wars game was so frigging boring. The Atari 2600 star wars games are more fun. Wing Commander for PC is more fun. I'd take Star Raiders over Star Wars on the 32x, man. Metal Head, and Shadow Squadron disappointed just as much.

Kolibri looks amazing, and is unique. It brings something new to the console realm. It is like an Amiga style action game fused into Ecco the Dolphin. It sets up a nice atmosphere and doesn't screw around. Achieving Amiga quality on the 32x is a good show.

Blackthorne 32x is like the definitive version of the game.

These two games did it right. The rest, got the graphical powerhouse part down, but forgot to make the games not boring, and not generic. They didn't hold their own against games on lesser hardware.

I guess its not ALL the game/developers faults though. They had a short window of time to make games for a pain in the ass piece of hardware. They probably blew most of their time making stuff look good.

SNES DOOM is better? Well, perhaps the music, but that's it! Smaller display, no ceiling or floor textures, slower frame rate, only a few more levels, but we've got the JagDoom level hack for the 32X now giving the 32X MORE levels than the SNES version.

For the time when it came out, 32X Doom was pretty good. Could it have been better? Sure. Are there better Doom versions now? Well duh! It doesn't matter, though; we're talking about the 32X. Complaining that 32X DOOM isn't as good as Doomsday with the model and texture packs is as silly as complaining that Knuckles Chaotix isn't as good as Sonic 4

I was spoiled and had Doom for PC where it was intended to be played, so everything Doom post PC pre Playstation was laughed at in my household.

and, ... Chaotix is better than Sonic 4. Sonic 4 blows so hard.

Edited by Arkhan

SNES DOOM is better? Well, perhaps the music, but that's it! Smaller display, no ceiling or floor textures, slower frame rate, only a few more levels, but we've got the JagDoom level hack for the 32X now giving the 32X MORE levels than the SNES version.

For the time when it came out, 32X Doom was pretty good. Could it have been better? Sure. Are there better Doom versions now? Well duh! It doesn't matter, though; we're talking about the 32X. Complaining that 32X DOOM isn't as good as Doomsday with the model and texture packs is as silly as complaining that Knuckles Chaotix isn't as good as Sonic 4

I was spoiled and had Doom for PC where it was intended to be played, so everything Doom post PC pre Playstation was laughed at in my household.

and, ... Chaotix is better than Sonic 4. Sonic 4 blows so hard.

:D

I was spoiled by my PSX... Doom was sooooo good on that. But 32X Doom is a fun version to play... if you don't have a PC or PSX or N64.

And you is cwazy about Chaotix!! I never got into Chaotix - mainly because it's a failure as a "Sonic" game, and I couldn't get past that.

I mainly played Doom, SWA, VRD, Metal Head, and Kolibri. I REALLY wanted Rayman on the 32X, but it got canceled in '95. :sad: