IGNORED

Sega 32X - Worth it?

SlowCoder

Late to the thread, but OF COURSE THE 32X IS WORTH IT!

No, not at $199 launch.....I paid $6 for mine, but my results may not be representative; it's worth more than that. Hell, I'd pay 7 times that.

It's worth it for Virtua Racing alone; single-best version. Then Star Wars Arcade. Then a few others. Totally ass-kicking-name-taking system? Hell NO! Overpriced at launch? Hell yeah! But amongst a community that respects and plays Jaguar games, the 32X is pretty cool....esp. for $6.

Late to the thread, but OF COURSE THE 32X IS WORTH IT!

No, not at $199 launch.....I paid $6 for mine, but my results may not be representative; it's worth more than that. Hell, I'd pay 7 times that.

It's worth it for Virtua Racing alone; single-best version. Then Star Wars Arcade. Then a few others. Totally ass-kicking-name-taking system? Hell NO! Overpriced at launch? Hell yeah! But amongst a community that respects and plays Jaguar games, the 32X is pretty cool....esp. for $6.

Um, it was only $159 at launch, and included six $10 coupons for six different launch games (I used all but the Cosmic Carnage coupon). I never regretted buying my first at launch time, but getting my second a few years later for $20 was much nicer. :)

Most carts are dirt cheap now, so that helps even more. I doubled my 32X collection in the last few years for less than $50. I've got a flash cart for the rare or unreleased beta carts.

:twisted:

• 2 months later...

Aww, I love the hell out of Tempo. Awesome platformer, dripping with style & beautiful art. If you like Earthworm Jim at all, it's for you.

I'm I big platformer but I was never able to get into Tempo. Part of it was me not knowing wth was going on. :D

Still a big fan of the 32x.

Aww, I love the hell out of Tempo. Awesome platformer, dripping with style & beautiful art. If you like Earthworm Jim at all, it's for you.

I'm I big platformer but I was never able to get into Tempo. Part of it was me not knowing wth was going on. :D

Still a big fan of the 32x.

Generally, you kick the bad guys in the face, progress towards the other end of the stage, then kick the boss in the face. Of course, when it starts raining cows and rainbows and yodeling... I can see how you can lose track of your goals :)

Had a 32X when I had my Genesis (now just play in emulation). My fav 32X games are Star Trek: Starfleet Command, Star Wars Arcade, and Zaxxon 2000. There's a few Sega CD games are enhanced by the 32X also (don't know the ones right now).

If you get one, MAKE DAMN SURE it has the video connection cable! (the cable that connects the 32X unit to the Genesis). They are IMPOSSIBLE to find in the wild and no one makes them. I had to buy THREE of the damn units to get one stupid cable, and it's a good thing I only paid $10-20 for each one. :x

Most of the games look and play terrible by today's standards, I think, but it does have a few good games.

If you get one, MAKE DAMN SURE it has the video connection cable! (the cable that connects the 32X unit to the Genesis). They are IMPOSSIBLE to find in the wild and no one makes them. I had to buy THREE of the damn units to get one stupid cable, and it's a good thing I only paid $10-20 for each one. :x

These?

These?

Isn't that for a Mac?

The straight through mac serial cables will work for a Genesis 2 and 32X. However, the original cable did not have the 5V pin connected. You should remove that pin to be safe if you use one of those. If you leave the pin connected, you can actually power the 32X with just the power coming over the cable from the Genesis, but this will be rough on your power supply.

If you have a model 1 genesis, your best bet is to make your own conversion cable. But you have to make sure to get the right kind of female 8 pin DIN connector. There's a C and a U type, and I forget which is which offhand.

Am I the only one who likes Metal Head? Probably... :D

My only beef about the 32X is that the Game Genie won't work when it's plugged in. That's the only reason I keep it unplugged unless I'm playing a 32X game.

Tempest

I actually just got done playing Metal Head on the 32X :D I love that game, the music is awesome. If you hold A+B+C and Start as you turn on the system, you can change the portraits to anime girls, which is pretty cool.

I actually just got done playing Metal Head on the 32X :D I love that game, the music is awesome. If you hold A+B+C and Start as you turn on the system, you can change the portraits to anime girls, which is pretty cool.

Wow.. that might actually make the game ten times better! I will have to try that next time I give it a go. :D

I love Metal Head... and I did not know about that Easter egg. Thanks! :)

Am I the only one who likes Metal Head? Probably... :D

My only beef about the 32X is that the Game Genie won't work when it's plugged in. That's the only reason I keep it unplugged unless I'm playing a 32X game.

Tempest

I actually like Metal Head. I've never gotten past stage 2-3 though. But after watching some YouTube, I think I am just not understand what the "generator" is that I'm supposed to destroy, as everything looks the same.

B-L-A-S-T from the past! Actually, I still have mine connected to the Genesis Gen 1 for the composite video hookup. Everything is still working good! I bought mine for $159 at the commissary in Yokosuka, Japan back in November '94. I actually left the whole shebang in December '95 in our Sonar workspace/theater room so a crew mate could finish DOOM 32X. To my surprise, about a year later, everything shows up at my other ship in San Diego with a note saying all the games have been finished. We used to play the shite out of Mortal Kombat II! I still have video of us playing those games back in Japan. I recently saw for the first time Kolibri complete in box and bought it. Man have those graphics NOT aged well! Games I have are: Kolibri, Star Wars, Doom, Virtua Racing, Mortal Kombat II, Afterburner, Knuckles Chaotix, NBA Jam, Shadow Squadron, Zaxxon, and Pitfall.

Wow.. that might actually make the game ten times better! I will have to try that next time I give it a go. :D

No kidding.

What an idea.

Its amazing how fast a game can turn around when its all =3, lol