IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

Here are my times for this past week:

The classic game (eligible for the Top 10):

Raid on Bungeling Bay (C-64): 163 minutes

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Cityville (Facebook) 136 minutes in 14 sessions

Diner Dash (Facebook): 51 minutes in 2 sessions

The settlers (Facebook) 41 minutes in 8 sessions

City Driver (Online) : 371 minutes in 6 sessions

This time I played the game I had in mind for the last weeks, "Raid on Bungeling Bay". Since this came out in 1984, I would consider it pre-NES. It has been adapted to the NES and the MSX systems as well (in 1985), but I didn't play those versions.

I played one pretty long session of 163 minutes and beat the game in this one session. An individual game doesn't take longer than 10-15 minutes, though, and if you take 15 minutes, you'll probably not win the game since difficulty basically rises with time, not with your achievements (except for the time until you destroy the first factory, when the opponent hasn't detected you). By now the Japanese disaster is a bit further away than it was two weeks ago... not because things have much improved there, but because it's not all over the radio anymore.

Apart from that, I only played online games. The usual slew of "The settlers" and "Cityville" this time has been joined by "Diner Dash" which is now out in a Facebook flavor. It basically has the same gameplay as the PC version, but you don't have to pay for it. They also added some social features, but I haven't tried them out yet since for the first games it's not necessary to have neighbors, and I didn't want to invite neighbors that early in the game when I wasn't sure if I'd keep playing it. But I read somewhere that even though the Facebook games are not sold, their cretors still make a pretty penny with them... I've calculated it to be about 12 Euro-cents per game, which in dollars would be more than half a quarter... and this is the money the companies make themselves while the arcade games, when they were a quarter each, would mainly bring in money for the operator which only bought the game once from the manufacturer.

In "Cityville" I made one or two quest steps, but there's still a growing number of quests to be done. In "The Settlers", however, I eliminated two quests, so that at the moment only two more are left to do.

But most of my gaming time was spent with "City Driver" where I started to draw a map on paper. This game is somewhat similar to "Raid on Bungeling bay" in that you have basically the same steering scheme (but you can't shoot with a taxi, of course), and it's also a 4-way scrolling game. Even though you can't shoot, it's still possible to crash into other vehicles and to overrun people which lets them laying in a pool of blood (really!). In addition to that, not only you do that, but you see the computer generated vehicles crash into each other and overrun people quite often as well. To further compare the two games, "Bungeling bay" has a map of 10x10 screens (where a tile is about a screen big), and I guess that City Driver must have a map of 32x43 screens where each screen is made up of 6x8 tiles, so it's a pretty huge map... definitely bigger than that of "Crazy Taxi", and it's also got a unique style where there are big blocks with wide roads between them, which are subdivided in smaller blocks with narrow roads between them, farms and factory areas which typically have only one entrance and an inside area where you can drive into. There are also several other possibilities than just driving your taxi, but they only become available after having earned enough money driving your taxi, which is your first job.

• Like 1

Arcade

Q*Bert - 60 minutes

Intellivision

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin - 15 minutes

Body Slam! Super Pro Wrestling - 15 minutes

Horse Racing - 45 minutes

Ice Trek - 10 minutes

Kool-aid Man - 30 minutes

Microsurgeon - 30 minutes

Motocross - 10 minutes

Nova Blast - 5 minutes

PGA Golf - 10 minutes

Safe Cracker - 20 minutes

Snafu - 5 minutes

Triple Action - 10 minutes

Genesis

Aladdin - 20 minutes

NBA Jams TE - 30 minutes

Had some friends over to play through the few MGC finds and some other titles already in my collection.

From MGC I got Treasure of Tarmin, Ice Trek, Microsurgeon, Motocross, Nova Blast, PGA Golf, Safe Cracker, Snafu and Triple Action all CIB and for very good prices.

Microsurgeon and Treasure of Tarmin were both games that traveled around the neighborhood when I was a kid. They both were just like I remembered them. I'll have to make time for Tarmin next weekend and try to beat it. Microsurgeon was a blast for all of us to play. I had my eye on that game on ebay for a long time but it kept going for $10-15. I ended up getting my copy for $1.

Safe Cracker is an interesting game that took a while to understand everything. I'm not much for reading instructions before playing the game so I learned as I went. Once I got the hang of it it was a lot of fun.

Ice Trek is an interesting concept but way to easy to master. I'll have to pump the difficulty up to see if it's a challenge.

We spent a lot of time with Horse Racing. It's quite addicting once you start picking winners. While you could control a couple horses in each race we decided just to bet on 'em and let the computer handle it.

• Like 1

My times for the weekend…

March 26:

Atari 2600

Pitfall! - 45 minutes

NES

Legend of Kage - 20 minutes

Arkanoid - 1 hour

Section Z - 20 minutes

1942 - 45 minutes

Virtual Boy

Golf - 5 minutes

Galactic Pinball - 10 minutes

Vertical Force - 20 minutes

Xbox 360

Muchi Muchi Pork - 30 minutes

Pink Sweets - 15 minutes

DoDonPachi Daifakkatsu Black Label - 30 minutes

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 30 minutes

March 27:

NES

Arkanoid - 45 minutes

Ghosts 'n Goblins - 30 minutes

Sega Master System

Zillion II: The Tri-Formation - 25 minutes

Atari Lynx

California Games - 15 minutes

S.T.U.N. Runner - 10 minutes

Klax - 15 minutes

Atari Jaguar

Power Drive Rally - 30 minutes

Pinball Fantasies - 15 minutes

Gathered with some friends of the fellowship last night… The host had a Virtual Boy on hand, and I gave it a bit of time playing the three games listed… he had several more games but I played the three I felt I would most enjoy. Golf was a decent game, Galactic Pinball (lol should be 'puck'ball) was pretty decent, and Vertical Force was decent. I much rather play Blade Eagle 3-D on the SMS, but IF I were to ever get a Virtual Boy for my own, the three games I played I would most get and be good with those…

Also at my friends home, he had an Atari 2600 hooked up with Pitfall! - He has a custom controller, a happ style stick and button - the stick featured microswitches so it had a nice clicky feel… of note, I have not really played Pitfall! on the Atari 2600… My playing of Pitfall! comes from the Intellivision. It took me a moment to figure how to jump off the vine, and get used to, but I put up the best score of the evening! finished with a score of 68,743 :)

Though it isn't a good score, nobody was able to come remotely close last night and It was my personal best!

And I am HOOKED on Arkanoid! I am trying to get a score in the 100,000 range - my best this weekend was 93,320

Here's the summary for Week 13, running from March 21-27. We logged 3888 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Pokemon Red Version (Game Boy) - 498

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 412

3. Sol-Feace (Sega CD) - 396

4. Arkanoid (NES/Famicom) - 210

5. King of Dragons (SNES) - 165

6. Raid on Bungeling Bay (C64) - 163

7. Karate Kid (NES/Famicom) - 120

8. Section Z (NES/Famicom) - 115

9. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600) - 105

10. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 90

10. Shinobi (Sega Master System) - 90

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 412

2. Raid on Bungeling Bay (C64) - 163

3. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600) - 105

4. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 90

5. Q*bert (Arcade) - 60

6. Super Breakout (Atari 5200) - 55

7. Berzerk (Atari 8-bit) - 45

7. Horse Racing (Intellivision) - 45

7. Pitfall (Atari 2600) - 45

10. Pitfall (Intellivision) - 40

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (795)

2. Atari 2600 (652)

3. Game Boy (498)

4. Sega CD (401)

5. Intellivision (280)

6. C64 (203)

7. Sega Master System (200)

8. SNES (165)

9. Sega 32X (104)

10. Sega Saturn (100)

Pokemon Red takes the overall spot for individual games, while Kaboom rules the pre-crash charts. Meanwhile the NES takes the top system prize, thanks to contributions from a bunch of different games (and gamers!).

Great week with lots of variety, plus the first appearance of a system I don't think we've ever seen on the tracker before: the Virtual Boy! Perhaps someday it'll break the top 10? That'll be a good week to invest in the Bayer company if so. :D

• Like 1

BTW, is Pokemon Red Version for Game Boy the exact same game as (what I have down as) Pokemon Red for Game Boy Color? If so, then that game's just a few minutes shy of the 1000-minute club.

Pokemon Red does not belong in the Game Boy Color entry. Here is why:

Another error is that Pokemon Red is an original Game Boy game, not Game Boy Color. The retail box defines this:

Pokemon_red_box-1.jpg

See, Pokemon Gold is a real Game Boy Color game and is labeled as such:

Gold%20Box.PNG

So this throws the Game Boy Color minutes off a bit, decreasing them.

Pokemon Red was an original Game Boy game all along and the same goes for Blue and Yellow Versions. Gold, Silver and Crystal were made because of the Game Boy Color. The person who called Red a Game Boy Color game probably only did so because they used a Game Boy Color to play it. You have to look at the retail box to define a Game Boy game's platform. Same goes for DSi exclusives (which are few and far between).

EDIT: Oh yeah there is also a very good reason for the original Pokemon trilogy being original Game Boy games even though they came out in the USA after the Game Boy Color came out. All three were released in Japan before the Game Boy Color was even made. Red and Blue initially came out on 2/27/1996 and 10/15/1996. They got Pokemon Yellow on 9/12/1998 just a month and a week before the GBC launched on 10/21/1998. It was the last Game Boy game not to be designed for the Game Boy Color. The unique thing the USA version of Yellow does on Game Boy Color is keep its Super Game Boy palette which changes depending on which area you are in, but it is still not full color like the GBC Gold, Silver and Crystal games. i.e. Ash's clothes change colors depending on what area he is in. In Gold, the main character always has a red hat and trees are always green like they are supposed to be etc..

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

Hey, thanks for that informative post! I've fixed the spreadsheet, so now all the minutes assigned to Pokemon Red are under the regular Game Boy heading, with 978 minutes total as of this writing.

BTW correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the GBC games that are compatible with the original GB have dark grey shells, don't they? Whereas the GBC-only games have clear shells, and the original GB games had light grey shells. That wouldn't help for games with nonstandard colors, though.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Hey, thanks for that informative post! I've fixed the spreadsheet, so now all the minutes assigned to Pokemon Red are under the regular Game Boy heading, with 978 minutes total as of this writing.

BTW correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the GBC games that are compatible with the original GB have dark grey shells, don't they? Whereas the GBC-only games have clear shells, and the original GB games had light grey shells. That wouldn't help for games with nonstandard colors, though.

Original Game Boy games usually have a gray cartridge except for a few such as Donkey Kong Land 1-3 and Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow. The indentation at the top says Nintendo Game Boy and the retail boxes say Game Boy on the left side of the front of the box.

Game Boy Color games with monochrome compatibility mode have black shells and the indentation at the top still says "Nintendo Game Boy", but their retail boxes all say Game Boy Color. The only different color games I have seen of this type are Pokemon Gold and Silver. These all count as Game Boy Color as their boxes define that and they have full color palettes.

Game Boy Color games that only work on Game Boy Color or Advance have clear shells and the indentation at the top is raised above the rest of the plastic and actually says "Game Boy Color" on the cartridge. Even games in this category that came in different colors such as Pokemon Crystal are see-through.

Edited by TheGameCollector

StanJr, if you end up picking Robowarrior back up again, I'm curious as to how things go. IIRC, that was one brutal game indeed, with super-tough bosses and a constant sense of being under siege (from the perpetually draining energy).

I love Robo Warrior! Great game, really cool concept, but it is tough as balls. The biggest obstacle is not blowing myself up with Bombs (like I do in Bomberman, also). I have only made it to the one boss, and then only once or twice.

NES

Karate Kid 20 mins.

Section Z 60 mins.

Times for Monday - Saturday:

Atari 2600:

Circus Atari - 4 min.

Man Goes Down - 2 min.

Intellivision:

Frog Bog - 6 min.

Skiing - 16 min.

Thin Ice - 18 min.

Utopia - 20 min.

NES:

Bio Force Ape - 3 min.

Sega Genesis:

Arcade Classics - 3 min.

Harry Potter - 2 min.

Smart Mouse - 3 min.

Sol-Deace - 107 min.

Beat Sol-Deace today on Normal and Advanced difficulty levels. It's actually significantly easier than Sol-Feace on Sega CD, since the Genesis cart lets you continue from the last two stages, whereas the CD version forces you back to Stage 5 (of 7) after a Game Over.

• Like 1