IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Dragonfire - 14 min.

Fishing Derby - 5 min.

Frogger - 17 min.

Jungle Hunt - 4 min.

Intellivision:

Beauty and the Beast - 2 min.

Demon Attack - 2 min.

Microsurgeon - 144 min.

Reversi - 15 min.

Atari 7800:

Dig Dug - 6 min.

Ms. Pac-Man - 10 min.

Genesis:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Revenge - 30 min.

Shaq-Fu - 55 min.

Super Bubble Bobble MD - 16 min.

WarpSpeed - 98 min.

X-Men - 23 min.

Zoom - 5 min.

Game Boy:

Baseball - 78 min.

SNES:

Ace wo Nerae! - 4 min.

Drift King - Shutokou Battle 2 - 4 min.

Soukou Kihei Votoms - The Battling Road - 5 min.

I spent a few minutes testing a Microsurgeon I was selling, and found it unexpectedly compelling. Over the next couple days, I ended up playing a couple long sessions of the game (using my own copy, of course). It gets tough as nails on higher difficulties! I was able to restore the patient to "Good" status and exit successfully on most levels, but setting #8 is almost impossible. I enlisted my girlfriend's help, but we did no better than getting the patient to "Fair" status before losing power to our probe. Those damn tapeworms.

Still, a $220 million fee isn't too bad. I think this is one of the best Imagic games for Intellivision, personally.

Otherwise, I beat the last non-campaign scenario in WarpSpeed (on Novice); unsuccessfully attempted to beat Shaq-Fu on Expert difficulty; and came close to beating the CPU on Baseball for Game Boy, losing 12-11 in my second game after some sloppy play. GB Baseball was described as uncommonly hard by atari2600land, but so far it seems very beatable -- just a matter of executing properly, and remembering that sometimes my runners act like idiots and have to be manually prodded.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 50, running from December 5-11. We logged 2296 minutes of eligible play, playing 41 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Pokemon Blue Version (Game Boy) - 608

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 269

3. Flash-Point (Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400) - 262

4. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 204

5. Microsurgeon (Intellivision) - 144

6. WarpSpeed (Genesis) - 98

7. Mickey & Donald (Game & Watch) - 95

8. Baseball (Game Boy) - 78

9. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - 65

10. Shaq-Fu (Genesis) - 55

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 269

2. Flash-Point (Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400) - 262

3. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 204

4. Microsurgeon (Intellivision) - 144

5. Mickey & Donald (Game & Watch) - 95

6. Snakman (VIC-20) - 45

7. Defender (Atari 5200) - 35

8. Donkey Kong (Atari 8-bit) - 30

9. Cosmic Cruncher (VIC-20) - 25

10. Robotron: 2084 (Atari 5200) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Game Boy (686)

2. Atari 2600 (357)

3. Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400 (262)

4. Genesis (227)

5. Arcade (204)

6. Intellivision (163)

7. Game & Watch (103)

8. VIC-20 (85)

9. Dreamcast (65)

10. Atari 5200 (55)

The charts are topped by the familiar combination of Game Boy and Atari 2600 -- or a pocket monster and a mad bomber, if you prefer. Some rare visitors also make their presence known, including the first-ever appearance of the Philips G-7400, which enters the charts at #3.

• Like 1

Atari 2600

Seaweed Assault 60 minutes

Bell Hopper 50 minutes

Boxing 30 minutes

K.O. Cruiser 30 minutes

Caverns of Mars 20 minutes

Haunted House 20 minutes

Pitfall 20 minutes

Seawolf 15 minutes

Panky The Panda 15 minutes

Bobby is Going Home 10 minutes

Here are my times for this week:

Arcade:

Q*Bert's Qubes - 471 min. in 8 sessions

Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400:

Flash-Point - 145 min. in 2 sessions

I continued playing Q*Bert's Qubes this week because I figured out how to do Level 6 and beyond, where hopping on an already completed cube in-completes it. The trick is to do an outer row as your required tic-tac-toe and first align all the qubes on that row so that you can turn each one of them right without having to jump onto another, already completed one of them. It's a bit hard to describe without pictures, but I think it would go too far posting pictures here.

In contrast to that, I sort-of finished Flash-Point. The game doesn't really have an end, but eventually there will be only one flashing point left (because all others already have been destroyed), and at that point the game actually gets a bit easier since upon clearing that point, it promptly reappears, and since it just reappeared and you get to re-enter it instantly, still being positioned right next to it, it's blinking slower than if it had already been on screen for a time. And since the speed at which the men chase you somewhat corresponds to the blinking speed, you get rounds that are a bit easier so that you can make them without losing a car. At that point (must be at Flash-Point 50 or so), each leftover green field already gets you 1250 points, so you get an extra car about once each round, offsetting the losses. Which means that at this point you can basically play forever.

However, the score rolls at 999,999 points in a bit strange way... first it jumps back from 999,999 to 990,000, then to 900,000, but on changing screens, the first two digits get cleared, so that you end up with 0 points (or whatever you accumulated in the round). However, the extra lives continue to be awarded every 30,000 points. The counting of the flash-points, however, doesn't roll back, but the first digit continues to get cycled through the ASCII range, so that Flash-Point 99 gets followed by Flash-Point :0.

The next game on my list to play will be the "inaccessible" game "Game over", but first I'm making recordings for a new demo CD for me as a live musician singing and playing on my keyboard. Anyone of you interested in the songs?

Might as well throw in the bit of gaming I did this week

NES

Ghosts N Goblins - 30 minutes

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - 25 minutes

Popeye - 10 minutes

Q*Bert - 10 minutes

Intellivision

AD&D Cloudy Mountain - 15 minutes

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin - 20 minutes

Burgertime - 30 minutes

I haven't played many classic games lately. Had to rearrange the game area and also caught the dreaded Skyrim bug. Since I'll have a few days after Christmas I'll get back into it.

My times for the week:

Intellivision:

White Water - 2 min.

Sega Master System:

ESWAT - 121 min.

Game Boy:

Baseball - 42 min.

Sega Genesis:

Cosmic Spacehead - 288 min.

Shaq-Fu - 241 min.

WarpSpeed - 195 min.

Sega CD:

Dracula Unleashed - 89 min.

Nintendo 64:

Conker's Bad Fur Day - 35 min.

Dark Rift - 30 min.

Wipeout 64 - 24 min.

I beat several games this week, including a couple I was playing for the first time. I've written about them elsewhere, so I won't repeat myself here.

Otherwise, it's been a week of trashy games. I keep banging my head against the wall of Shaq-Fu, but haven't yet been able to get past the second set of enemies on Expert, though today I beat two of the trio for the first time. That damn catwoman keeps getting the better of me.

We also didn't get much of anywhere in Dracula Unleashed, a FMV-based graphic adventure whose charm is diminished by disk read errors and frustrating puzzles. We keep showing up for our fiancée's dad's funeral, but get the same two gravediggers making fun of us. Maybe we need to whack them mercilessly with our blackjack? If only that were a scene we could trigger.

I finished out Novice difficulty in WarpSpeed, completing all four stages of Campaign mode in one sitting. Its gentle tedium was a relief after my Shaq- and Drac-related frustrations. We'll see if Expert difficulty is any less soothing.

Finally, some N64 treats: Dark Rift, which is the fighting-game equivalent of a trashy B-movie; Conker's Bad Fur Day, a game that needs no introduction, and literally revels in trash; and Wipeout 64, which gets good reviews elsewhere but seemed thoroughly underwhelming to me. So the least trashy game is also the least fun: somehow, I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 51, running from December 12-18. We logged 3506 minutes of eligible play, playing 33 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 958

2. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 471

3. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - 370

4. Cosmic Spacehead (Genesis) - 288

5. Shaq-Fu (Genesis) - 241

6. WarpSpeed (Genesis) - 195

7. Flash-Point (Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400) - 145

8. ESWAT (Sega Master System) - 121

9. Dracula Unleashed (Sega CD) - 89

10. Food Fight (Atari 7800) - 65

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 958

2. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 471

3. Flash-Point (Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400) - 145

4. Food Fight (Atari 7800) - 65

5. Seaweed Assault (Atari 2600) - 60

6. Bell Hopper (Atari 2600) - 50

7. Boxing (Atari 2600) - 30

7. Burgertime (Intellivision) - 30

7. K.O. Cruiser (Atari 2600) - 30

10. AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin (Intellivision) - 20

10. Caverns of Mars (Atari 2600) - 20

10. Haunted House (Atari 2600) - 20

10. Pitfall (Atari 2600) - 20

10. River Raid (Atari 5200) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1228)

2. Genesis (724)

3. Arcade (471)

4. Dreamcast (370)

5. Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400 (145)

6. Sega Master System (121)

7. N64 (89)

7. Sega CD (89)

9. NES/Famicom (75)

10. Intellivision (67)

Nice robust week all around, with Kaboom returning to take the top of the heap by a wide margin.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (December 19th through 25th):

Arcade:

Q*Bert's Qubes - 149 min. in 4 sessions

Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400:

Flash-Point - 95 min.

PC (Flash):

Game Over! - Universally Inaccessible Game: 21 min.

It's another week where I played Q*Bert's Qubes... but due to Christmas, there were fewer, shorter sessions of it.

Then I had another try at "Flash-Point" and did even better than in the last game where I already rolled it... this time I made it to maintain multiple flash-points at the time I rolled the score. I think I even rolled it a second time and still had multiple flash-points left, at which time I gave up.

"Game Over!" is a pretty short game which I finished in 21 minutes. It basically has 20 levels, each one of which proves to be unplayable in a different way. This has been done intentionally by the programmer in order to develop a guide which features good games should have. It's still fun to watch all the ways a game could go wrong.

Basically, the game, although it comes as an EXE file, is coded in Flash, but it still runs on Windows 95/98 (I originally ran it on Windows ME when it came out). It was written in 2007, by the way.

And as a side note, although I didn't play anything on the Atari 2600, I'm currently using its power supply for recharging the new racing battery I got for my RC car for Christmas. :-)

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Kaboom - 3 min.

Genesis:

Ballz 3D - 7 min.

Biohazard Battle - 3 min.

Rocket Knight Adventures - 3 min.

Sword of Sodan - 5 min.

Game Boy:

Alleyway - 38 min.

Catrap - 363 min.

During the holidays, handheld gaming is the name of the game. I've been working on the puzzler Catrap, which was originally named Pitman and written for the Sharp MZ-700 -- there's an interesting article about it here.

Anyway, it's basically in the vein of games like Flappy, Lolo, and Boulder Dash, but includes a rewind/fast forward feature that allows you to undo or redo all of your moves. This reduces the frustration factor hugely, and makes the game pleasantly addictive. So far I've completed about two-thirds of the game's 100 levels; most are pretty easy to beat in less than 3 minutes, but a few stumped me for a good while, and one of them took nearly an hour before I figured out the solution.

I also tried to complete the Breakout clone Alleyway, which has been on my "to beat" list for a while, but couldn't focus and ended up failing about halfway through. I'd like to beat 52 games this year, and I'm up to 49 so far, so I may take another swing at this one.

Otherwise I played a little bit of Genesis with my brother, and a couple minutes of Kaboom while setting up & testing out the Atari I gave as a gift to my sister. The VCS looks surprisingly good on her big-screen LCD TV, even through RF...but I do detect significant lag, and unfortunately the TV's "game mode" doesn't seem to compensate for it.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 52, running from December 19-25. We logged 2188 minutes of eligible play, playing 33 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 668

2. Catrap (Game Boy) - 363

3. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 149

4. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - 139

5. Food Fight (Atari 7800) - 125

6. Pole Position (Atari 5200) - 120

7. Flash-Point (Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400) - 95

8. Bomb 'n' Blast (ColecoVision) - 45

9. Beauty and the Beast (Intellivision) - 40

10. Alleyway (Game Boy) - 38

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 668

2. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 149

3. Food Fight (Atari 7800) - 125

4. Pole Position (Atari 5200) - 120

5. Flash-Point (Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400) - 95

6. Bomb 'n' Blast (ColecoVision) - 45

7. Beauty and the Beast (Intellivision) - 40

8. River Raid (Atari 5200) - 35

9. Koffi: Yellow Copter (Atari 5200) - 30

9. Meteorites (Atari 5200) - 30

9. Moon Patrol (Atari 5200) - 30

9. Motocross (Intellivision) - 30

9. Pac-Man (Intellivision) - 30

9. Q*bert (Atari 2600) - 30

9. Q*bert (Intellivision) - 30

9. Space Frenzy (Vectrex) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (728)

2. Game Boy (401)

3. Atari 5200 (275)

4. Arcade (149)

5. Dreamcast (139)

6. Intellivision (130)

7. Atari 7800 (125)

8. Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400 (95)

9. ColecoVision (45)

10. Atari 8-bit (35)

We live in a diverse world. This Christmas, some houses have Santa dropping presents. Others have mad bombers dropping bombs...or anthropomorphic mice kicking baddies offscreen...or bizarre, anteater-like abominations dancing on Saturday Night Fever-style colored panels.

Happy holidays to all! One shortened week left, and then we'll do some yearlong totals, and into 2012 we go.

• Like 1

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Kaboom - 3 min.

Genesis:

Ballz 3D - 7 min.

Biohazard Battle - 3 min.

Rocket Knight Adventures - 3 min.

Sword of Sodan - 5 min.

Game Boy:

Alleyway - 38 min.

Catrap - 363 min.

During the holidays, handheld gaming is the name of the game. I've been working on the puzzler Catrap, which was originally named Pitman and written for the Sharp MZ-700 -- there's an interesting article about it here.

Anyway, it's basically in the vein of games like Flappy, Lolo, and Boulder Dash, but includes a rewind/fast forward feature that allows you to undo or redo all of your moves. This reduces the frustration factor hugely, and makes the game pleasantly addictive. So far I've completed about two-thirds of the game's 100 levels; most are pretty easy to beat in less than 3 minutes, but a few stumped me for a good while, and one of them took nearly an hour before I figured out the solution.

I also tried to complete the Breakout clone Alleyway, which has been on my "to beat" list for a while, but couldn't focus and ended up failing about halfway through. I'd like to beat 52 games this year, and I'm up to 49 so far, so I may take another swing at this one.

Otherwise I played a little bit of Genesis with my brother, and a couple minutes of Kaboom while setting up & testing out the Atari I gave as a gift to my sister. The VCS looks surprisingly good on her big-screen LCD TV, even through RF...but I do detect significant lag, and unfortunately the TV's "game mode" doesn't seem to compensate for it.

3 minutes of Kaboom!? Come on, you can do better than that. :D

3 minutes of Kaboom!? Come on, you can do better than that. :D

Not on that laggy LCD, I can't! :D I gave my sister's family an Atari + games for Christmas, and while the 100ms lag is tolerable on most games, on Kaboom it's lethal.

I would like to take a run at Kaboom someday -- I think my best score is in the low thousands, which makes me appreciate your feats all the more -- but I want to roll the score on Bugs first. I also gave them my best set of paddles, though, so I'll need to refurbish my extras first...

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

2011 is coming to a close! I'll wait until Monday to calculate our final week. The deadline's the same as always, but if anyone plays specifically on Sunday and wants me to group that time with 2012, feel free to make a note of that in your post.

I'll start a new thread for 2012 on Monday as well, but final summaries for 2011 will be posted here!