IGNORED

Astra 2001

svenski

Here is my pride and joy, my Astra 2001 dual SS/DD disk drive :cool:

With original box and still working fine, she's a beauty although has undergone a course of "retrobriting" and could do with a little bit more.

She makes disk copying a breeze and just glides along when she's connected via the SIO2USB to my netbook.

post-3231-12940236909_thumb.jpg

post-3231-129402372655_thumb.jpg

Edited by svenski

Sweet! Looks like it uses two of the regular Tandon mechs. I think the only thing that beat this was the "Big-D".

Man, I remember drooling over hardware like that in the old magazines.

Yep, as you know the "Big D" was the DS/DD model that was released not long after the 2001. I got my 2001 quite by accident several years ago.

Yep, as you know the "Big D" was the DS/DD model that was released not long after the 2001. I got my 2001 quite by accident several years ago.

I have a Big D here in my storage area - haven't used it in about 10 years.

Pics?? :D

Does it look different to the 2001?, from what I can tell Astra used the same styling for every model although earlier models were all white , before they changed the styling to fit better with, I guess, the XL range.

I have a Big D here in my storage area - haven't used it in about 10 years.

Pics?? :D

Does it look different to the 2001?, from what I can tell Astra used the same styling for every model although earlier models were all white , before they changed the styling to fit better with, I guess, the XL range.

I'd have to get it out of storage to photograph it but it is a dark brown color.

I would like to find an Astra "The One" drive. DSDD single drive. My buddy back in High School had one and when he told me he could do 360K per disk, I thought he was lying, until I saw it for myself. I was impressed!

heh sounds like what people said when i told them i had a 5.25" 720k floppy as D2: on my A8...

it was the biggest single drive i had seen until i got my MIO, and a ST225N... i didnt even know how i was gonna fill it, when i saw all those free sectors...

sloopy.

Wow! Haven't seen that for a long time! As a teenager, I wanted one of those so badly... I had the magazine clipping of the ad hanging on a wall in my bedroom, on a corkboard, for at least the entire time that I was in high school.

It was a Very Expensive Device (VED). I never got one. Very cool to see it again. Thanks!

Here is my pride and joy, my Astra 2001 dual SS/DD disk drive :cool:

With original box and still working fine, she's a beauty although has undergone a course of "retrobriting" and could do with a little bit more.

She makes disk copying a breeze and just glides along when she's connected via the SIO2USB to my netbook.

You jammy so and so, where you snag those from, I did once own another of the obscure American Atari disk drives (an Indus GT, A8 version), and a friend of mine had a Rana Disk drive (can't remember what one)