IGNORED

I do not wish to see anyone leave...

Bryan

I know there are some who are getting fed up with the level of confrontation sometimes displayed here. As a coder, I would like to see as many other coders as possible find AA a useful resource for ideas and information, regardless of their background and preferences. As a user, I'd like to see friendly and lively conversation regarding our "antiques".

However, if we take this hobby stuff completely seriously and personally then we'll end up driving off the people with the most to contribute and we'll be left with a tiny, contentious clique.

My most liberating day in this hobby was when I decided that no one who cares about retro technology should be my enemy.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 22

Agreed. I remember a few years back, 2600 legend Rob Fulop showed up. He offered to release a WIP of a game he did in the early 80s. He was sadly driven away by tons of people begging him to finish it, after it was clearly stated he had neither the time or desire to do so. As usual the attitudes flared, and I'm sure he never looked back.

I also would like to see as many coders here as possible, since there is absolutely nobody local to me who still shows any interest in these old machines. My brother & I both work in IT, but he makes fun of me on a regular basis for "wasting my time" on such an old "useless piece of crap". I guess I like the challenge.

I have fond memories of playground arguments, staunchly defending my A8 over the Apple IIs and C64s. That being said, 28 years have passed and I simply cannot fathom the idea of getting into a fight because my 30 year old antique can't display as many colors as your 29 year old antique. I also missed out on a pretty big piece of computing history because of being a fanboy.

• Like 7

I know there are some who are getting fed up with the level of confrontation sometimes displayed here. As a coder, I would like to see as many other coders as possible find AA a useful resource for ideas and information, regardless of their background and preferences. As a user, I'd like to see friendly and lively conversation regarding our "antiques".

However, if we take this hobby stuff completely seriously and personally then we'll end up driving off the people with the most to contribute and we'll be left with a tiny, contentious clique.

My most liberating day in this hobby was when I decided that no one who cares about retro technology should be my enemy.

We can all debate and we all have our own ideas and preconceptions and that is a good thing. Also it is great that people have gone to great lengths to preserve history and sort out facts from fiction but people shouldn't be spoken down to just because they thought Zap! was a good read - as an example.

The infamous joystick thread is another example of something going too far. I do enjoy AA and the 8-bit forum and I'm grateful to everyone who has helped me here. So, I'm sure me and Bryan have probably disagreed on a fair few things up to now but I do agree with this topic. :D

It strikes me that it's usually the most innocuous subject matter which descends into arguments and flame wars. It's like some friendly debate in the pub which ends up turning into a fight. It must be terrible to have nothing better to do than watch lengthy topics for the opportunity to hijack them and turn them into fanboy jousting tournaments or slanging matches. Personally, I enjoy reading through most of the topics on this forum, but unless I can make some kind of informed contribution, I usually (try to) keep my mouth shut. Being a coder, I have better things to do than get banned because of a joystick. icon_smile.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

I just got here so my virgin eyes haven't seen any of the flame wars you've mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, everyone here is awesome for being into ridiculously old computers. I wonder if I'm on the young side. I was born in 1983, but the first computer I ever played with was an Atari 400 that my dad and sister katy mostly used. So, I have very fond memories of it. I really hope I can restore my Atari 400, seems like it would be a lot of fun to play around with (programming wise). I'm having a lot of fun coding for the NES so I'm betting it'll feel similar.

Edited by Gradualore

I just got here so my virgin eyes haven't seen any of the flame wars you've mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, everyone here is awesome for being into ridiculously old computers. I wonder if I'm on the young side. I was born in 1983, but the first computer I ever played with was an Atari 400 that my dad and sister katy mostly used. So, I have very fond memories of it. I really hope I can restore my Atari 400, seems like it would be a lot of fun to play around with (programming wise). I'm having a lot of fun coding for the NES so I'm betting it'll feel similar.

Born in 1970 here...

BTW, you can start developing right away! There are several Atari emulators and 6502 assemblers for the PC and Mac so you can go from start to finish without a real machine if you want.

Born in 1970 here...

BTW, you can start developing right away! There are several Atari emulators and 6502 assemblers for the PC and Mac so you can go from start to finish without a real machine if you want.

Cool, you're the same age as my sister Amy =D I'm pretty sure my 400 works, it does both the keyboard beep and the boot from cassette beep that I think you or another regular told me about in another thread. I'm waiting on my RCA-to-coaxial in the mail. There's something really rewarding about running software on a real machine, once I got a PowerPAK for my NES I never looked back. Even if my 400 for whatever reason can't get a signal to a tv I'm hoping it can be restored somehow with information/help from people here.

10 BOOBS=BOOBS+2:GOTO 10

You forgot the error checking.

IF BOOBS > HANDFUL

You don't want an overflow happening now, do you?

All I know is if you PUSH them, you'll end up POP'ing them eventually.

(sorry, a bit of Z80/intel thrown in there).

Edited by Bryan

I enthusiastically agree. I think that, without a conscious effort to avoid it, there is a certain tendency for discussion forums to degenerate into the kinds of behaviors you're talking about: imaginary turf wars, long and pointless arguments over insignificant technical minutiae, and the dragging of offline personal issues into the public eye. I sometimes refer to this as "Jaguar disease," since we've seen more of that behavior in the Jaguar forum than anywhere else (pages-long arguments about which coprocessor would be most the efficient to use for integer square roots, and so forth), but in reality it can happen anywhere.

I think the key to avoiding this is to refrain from taking these things so personally, as you suggest. A lot of us who still enjoy using classic systems for creative purposes have chosen the systems we've chosen for nostalgic reasons: they're the machines we grew up with, or they're the ones we admired and always wanted, or they're the ones our friends had. I think that kind of attachment is a double-edged sword: it can motivate you, but it can also make any kind of negative feedback (such as a discussion of the system's shortcomings, or constructive criticism for a project) feel like an attack on you, which isn't likely to leave you in a mood for rational discussion.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the work I've done on the Mattel Aquarius, for example, is that I did not own it as a kid, and I already know that it can't be considered among the best computers of its time. I don't feel a need to defend it, which allows me to maintain a certain detachment and to view the system and its potentialities with complete objectivity. I try to keep my nostalgic sentimentality on a tight leash when it comes to the systems I did grow up with, too (like the Atari 800), and I think that approach has allowed me to appreciate and enjoy "competing" systems that I might not have given a second look before (like the Aquarius and the Apple ][). I'm not quite there yet with the C64, though. :twisted:

• Like 1

I enthusiastically agree. I think that, without a conscious effort to avoid it, there is a tendency for discussion forums to degenerate into the kinds of behaviors you're talking about: imaginary turf wars, long and pointless arguments over insignificant technical minutiae, and the dragging of offline personal issues into the public eye. I sometimes refer to this as "Jaguar disease," since we've seen more of that behavior in the Jaguar forum than anywhere else (pages-long arguments about which coprocessor would be most the efficient to use for integer square roots, and so forth), but in reality it can happen anywhere.

I think the key to avoiding this is to refrain from taking these things so personally, as Bryan suggests. A lot of us who still enjoy using classic systems for creative purposes have chosen the systems we've chosen for nostalgic reasons: they're the machines we grew up with, or they're the ones we admired and always wanted, or they're the ones our friends had. I think that kind of attachment is a double-edged sword: it can motivate you, but it can also make any kind of negative feedback (such as a discussion of the system's shortcomings, or constructive criticism for a project) feel like an attack on you, which isn't likely to leave you in a mood for rational discussion.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the work I've done on the Mattel Aquarius, for example, is that I did not own it as a kid, and I already know that it can't be considered among the best of all the computers that were available at the time it came out. This allows me to maintain a certain detachment, which makes it possible for me to view the system and its potentialities with complete objectivity. I try to keep my nostalgic sentimentality on a tight leash when it comes to the systems I did grow up with, too (like the Atari 800), and I think that approach has allowed me to appreciate and enjoy "competing" systems that I might not have given a second look before (like the Aquarius and the Apple ][). I'm still not quite there yet with the C64, though. :twisted:

Mattel Aquarius??!?!?!? That piece of cra.....

Ahem... <cough> I mean, well said Jay!!

:P :D

And just so you know, I'm only talking about people being rude, obscene and slanderous to each other until everyone gets offended and leaves, but nothing as serious as Jaguar disease.

BTW, you did those circuit boards? They look great!

*cough* Good save ;)

I don't know what you're talking about :ponder:

BTW, "too many people getting along error" priceless!