IGNORED

Portland Retrogaming Expo 2011 announcement

swlovinist

I will be there bright and early Saturday morning! Looking forward to filling some gaps in my collection, meeting some great people, hearing some interesting talks and, of course, playing some great games!!! See you all there the day after tomorrow!!! WOOT!

Out of curiousity were you an organizer?

Alas, no, just an enthusiastic attendee... That said, I do think (considering the area already has its Commodore club/s) that we need to get either an Atari club or just a general Retro Computer club together in the area some day...

Edited by Ogma

I do believe that plans are in the works :ponder:

we'll see.... :)

Rick

PS thanks for coming to our show! glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

"enjoyed it" may be an understatement... As I told Chuck on Saturday: "This may be one of the coolest events I've ever attended!" :-) I had a BLAST!

And if you're looking for more folks to help get that club off the ground, give me a shout!

~Scott

Out of curiousity were you an organizer?

Alas, no, just an enthusiastic attendee... That said, I do think (considering the area already has its Commodore club/s) that we need to get either an Atari club or just a general Retro Computer club together in the area some day...

You can take some comfort in the fact that the Commodore Club meetings are very friendly to and inclusive of other computers and console games. I think Sean will have his TurboGrafix at the next meeting and I will take on all comers on Klax or Galaga 90!

• Like 1

You can take some comfort in the fact that the Commodore Club meetings are very friendly to and inclusive of other computers and console games. I think Sean will have his TurboGrafix at the next meeting and I will take on all comers on Klax or Galaga 90!

That's EXCELLENT and note, I don't mean anything elitist by expressing interest in another club... To be honest, I think my favorite type of club would be one that caters to all retro systems not just Atari, Commodore, Apple, etc., but happy to hear that the Commodore one is open to other retro fun and is also doing well!!!

I live about an hour north of Portland and plan on opening up a retro game club in Longview, WA in a local arcade burger joint called Minus World. It will not interfere with the Commodore dates and will be open to ALL GAMERS, ALL SYSTEMS(focus on older systems). You have a system and game you want to show off, bring it. It is going to a very humble meeting that is tentative Third week of October. Pretty much is a room of a half dozen old school TVs with systems attached to them open for people to play on. Since Halloween is coming up, the theme is Halloween themed games...The intent of this club is to celebrate gaming. We want to work with other local gaming clubs and want the focus on the spirit and passion of gaming.

So did Tod say anything interesting about the 2600 stuff he worked on? There are so many questions I would have loved to ask him.

Tempest

Todd was pretty cool. What would have you asked?

Todd, David Crane, Gary Kitchen et.al. had great impromptu discussions that didn't occur during the keynotes. I am amazed by the mastery of the 2600 by Crane. He an Todd got into some pretty technical discussions about tricks and methods.

They stated that the 2600 was their favorite platform and are interested in programming another game for the 2600 if time permitted. David Crane has ideas about adding additional hardware for some of his ideas.

Matt... consider this a personal invite from me to attend next year :-) We'd love have you attend.

Take care,

-GrizzLee

• Like 1

Tons of stuff. His name is on so many games and prototypes, but over the years he hasn't given many answers or interviews.

I'd ask him about his version of The Last Starfighter, about Airworld, about working on Shooting Gallery, about the amazing kernel he did for Xevious, and what other games he worked on or saw that never got released. He was involved in so much stuff, so I imagine he's be an amazing source of info, if he remembers anything that is.

Matt... consider this a personal invite from me to attend next year :-) We'd love have you attend.

I'd love to, but being out in MI the cost of attending is a bit high. Some day though I really would like to attend.

Todd, David Crane, Gary Kitchen et.al. had great impromptu discussions that didn't occur during the keynotes. I am amazed by the mastery of the 2600 by Crane. He an

Take care,

-GrizzLee

One thing Garry Kitchen said was quited interesting to me, he alluded to the fact that he was ready, willing and able to add more than two screens to Donkey Kong for the 2600, but the Greenberg bros of Coleco were literally standing behind him as he programmed, hurrying him along, axing features etc and pushing him to ship the rom and be done with it. I have found the 2600 and Intellivision ports to be fascinatingly bad and this at least explains part of that. I missed Todd talk; too much fun stuff to do and see!!

Tons of stuff. His name is on so many games and prototypes, but over the years he hasn't given many answers or interviews.

I'd ask him about his version of The Last Starfighter, about Airworld, about working on Shooting Gallery, about the amazing kernel he did for Xevious, and what other games he worked on or saw that never got released. He was involved in so much stuff, so I imagine he's be an amazing source of info, if he remembers anything that is.

I'd love to, but being out in MI the cost of attending is a bit high. Some day though I really would like to attend.

Oh yes, I forgot about the Last Starfighter. He did talk quite abit about Air World and how far along he got with it. He actually wants to do Air World to complete the series, but in today's context. He also talked a bit about Xevious (he was rather proud of that work) and mentioned Shooting Gallery. He also mentioned that he always seemed to get on projects that were never finished or released. I think he is an underated hero of 2600 game development because of his involvement with Pac-Man.

Regarding travel... I hear you about airline prices. The hotel was pretty reasonable though. But when you add it all up....

Take care,

-GrizzLee

Todd, David Crane, Gary Kitchen et.al. had great impromptu discussions that didn't occur during the keynotes. I am amazed by the mastery of the 2600 by Crane. He an

Take care,

-GrizzLee

One thing Garry Kitchen said was quited interesting to me, he alluded to the fact that he was ready, willing and able to add more than two screens to Donkey Kong for the 2600, but the Greenberg bros of Coleco were literally standing behind him as he programmed, hurrying him along, axing features etc and pushing him to ship the rom and be done with it. I have found the 2600 and Intellivision ports to be fascinatingly bad and this at least explains part of that. I missed Todd talk; too much fun stuff to do and see!!

The Greenberg's were real asses from what I have gathered.

Read here for a first hand account (email exchange I had with a former employee on another "unrelated" group) account from someone who worked on the CV/ADAM.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/105211-so-you-think-you-are-a-coleco-fan/page__hl__lee+krueger__fromsearch__1

This kind of behavior makes me sick. Almost to the point of wanting to rid myself of anything related to Coleco.

-GrizzLee

the show was fantastic. overall, i had more fun at this years PRGE than at last years CGE. i imagine the aftershow stuff is much better in vegas than in portland, but as a nondrinker that isnt much of a factor for me.

with all the of the presentations (the 2 atari keynotes were fantastic, i also enjoyed the NWC/Tetris documentary keynote), and the tournaments, i really didnt have a lot of time to shop and play games. i did go crazy during the first hour and picked up 10 of my final 18 Saturn games needed to complete my collection, so on that front the show was an amazing success.

thanks to all the organizers, i hope to make it back in the future. 2013 maybe?

The Greenberg's were real asses from what I have gathered.

Read here for a first hand account (email exchange I had with a former employee on another "unrelated" group) account from someone who worked on the CV/ADAM.

http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

This kind of behavior makes me sick. Almost to the point of wanting to rid myself of anything related to Coleco.

-GrizzLee

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful place to work, eh? BTW, it was good to meet you at the show, Lee. I finally put a face with the name and remembered I bought a bunch of stuff from you at the show last year, including my beloved boxed Sears Star Raiders!!

.... BTW, it was good to meet you at the show, Lee. I finally put a face with the name and remembered I bought a bunch of stuff from you at the show last year, including my beloved boxed Sears Star Raiders!!

Cool. I love meeting "virtual" people in person. This was an incredible show. The Protlans Show has really matured into a mainstream event.

Sears Star Raiders... I remember that. Tough one to get in a box.

Take care,

-GrizzLee

Oh yes, I forgot about the Last Starfighter. He did talk quite abit about Air World and how far along he got with it.

Anything new or interesting? Is there a video of the his talk somewhere? Man I'd love to pick his brain for awhile.

Maybe I can make it out next year. Especially if CGE doesn't happen.

tod spent a sizable amount of time defending vcs pac man. i think he felt the internet was going to be there hating on his work. nobody really gave him a hard time about it though, and hopefully he will do more of these panels in the future.

the thing is, vcs pac man is iconic. the sound effects are still used today in tv, commercials, etc as generic video game sound effects.

the zinger for me, was the explanation that he sacrificed a lot to make pac man 2 player. ms pac and jr pac are one player.