IGNORED

40-pin male to male IDE adapter

Larry

I've looked for this type adapter for a long time, but just recently found them listed on eBay, and then went to the seller's store to purchase. They allow using a 40-pin IDE flash module (Transcend, for example) with a device that has a female IDE connector rather than using adapter(s) and a compact flash card. Lots of cables at this place.

http://www.cablesonline.com/2in40pinidem.html

-Larry

Oohw....

Woops... and now I ordered a few of them... I hope they will do the trick... I have a lot CF -> ide adapters with a FEMALE connector. But... ofcourse... I need the ones with a male connector. Well when it does not work, I'd better buy new CF -> IDE adapters with male connectors.

I'll let you know how I'm doing.

Greetz

M.

And what about this one?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106271164561?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110627116456&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

When you use a dual male header to connect 2 female cables you are flipping the 2 rows of pins, changing odd to even and even to odd. On a true gender changer, which I doubt very much this one is, the pins don't go straight through but cross over to the other row.

And what about this one?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106271164561?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110627116456&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

When you use a dual inline male header/gender changer to connect 2 female cables you are flipping the 2 rows of pins, changing odd to even and even to odd.

So you can not use these things to connect a female CF -> IDE adapter to a 'fixed' IDE female cable?

I have a SCSI -> IDE adapter (ACARD) which has a fixed female IDE connector. I ALSO have a CF -> IDE adapter, with also a FEMALE (and fixed!) IDE connector. So I can not use the thing in the ebay auction to connect that to each other?

Or did I miss something?

Thanks

Marius

And what about this one?

When you use a dual inline male header/gender changer to connect 2 female cables you are flipping the 2 rows of pins, changing odd to even and even to odd.

So you can not use these things to connect a female CF -> IDE adapter to a 'fixed' IDE female cable?

I have a SCSI -> IDE adapter (ACARD) which has a fixed female IDE connector. I ALSO have a CF -> IDE adapter, with also a FEMALE (and fixed!) IDE connector. So I can not use the thing in the ebay auction to connect that to each other?

Or did I miss something?

Thanks

Marius

The 2 female connectors have the same pinout, when you rotate them to face each other you are reversing the orientation of the 2 rows of pins if you connect them straight through with a header. You can use a male/male cable as already mentioned, or you could use 2 headers with a female cable like below, the 2 headers would cause the reversals to cancel each other out. This doubles the number of connections vs a male/male cable.

When using the headers you can either flip odd for even(when both pin 1 is at the same end of the header), or you can keep odd/even the same but reverse high/low numbered pins(when pin 1 is at opposite ends of the header). If you use 2 headers you must keep the same connection on both headers to cancel out the reversals.

(ACARD)female-male|male--female/female--male|male-female(CF)

______________header_____cable______header

Slight Off Topic, but still close enough...

Wikipedia has an excellent write-up on flash memory/controllers, with some excellent references to back it up.

Part of the reference material is "deep" but even if you only read the initial article and perhaps follow the link to the

Kingston Flash Memory Guide, it is very informative.

-Larry