IGNORED

What ways are there to get date and time in Atari?

Marius

On the joystick connector:

Pin 1 is PA0 - goes to CLK (SCL)

Pin 2 is PA1 - goes to DATA (SDA)

Pin 8 is ground (GND)

Pin 7 is +5v (Vcc)

If you look very closely at the face of the 9-pin connector, you will see the pin numbers cast into the plastic.

That is very nice information. Thank you VERY much!

When you first install the battery, the chip will initialize with the clock disabled. You have to store $00 into register $00 to start timing.

But how?

I don't understand the s2c protocol. How do I realise this? Is there a 'baud rate' I should look after?

I never programmed the joystick port for data transfer.

So I hope you will be able to get your code to AtariAge. I would be very happy then :D

Sorry for all this questions. I'm really excited by the idea that this will work!

Greetz and thanks AGAIN!

Marius

I'll try it again...

post-14708-129746438013_thumb.jpg

post-14708-129746441153_thumb.jpg

On the joystick connector:

Pin 1 is PA0 - goes to CLK (SCL)

Pin 2 is PA1 - goes to DATA (SDA)

Pin 8 is ground (GND)

Pin 7 is +5v (Vcc)

If you look very closely at the face of the 9-pin connector, you will see the pin numbers cast into the plastic.

That is very nice information. Thank you VERY much!

When you first install the battery, the chip will initialize with the clock disabled. You have to store $00 into register $00 to start timing.

But how?

I don't understand the s2c protocol. How do I realise this? Is there a 'baud rate' I should look after?

I never programmed the joystick port for data transfer.

So I hope you will be able to get your code to AtariAge. I would be very happy then :D

Sorry for all this questions. I'm really excited by the idea that this will work!

Greetz and thanks AGAIN!

Marius

RTC.ATR

• Like 1

Somewhere in the thread you told us that the first time you had to write a zero in register $00.

Is your code doing that already? Or is this something I have to do?

Only the very first time? Or is it ok to do that everytime you read/write to the RTC?

Thanks

Marius

Actually, only bit 7 of register 00 has to be cleared. Once it is 0, you don't have to worry about it again. (except: if you pull the RTC while it is under power, it may set the bit again)

There are two routines - RTCRD and RTCWR. They only run when they are called by JSR $600. (change the BRK at $623 to an RTS)

RTCRD reads all 64 bytes of the RTC into memory locations $6C0-$6FF. The sequence is to write the RTC ID (to select the RTC chip), write the address of the register that you are going to select and then read (once or many times) the data from the RTC reg(s). This does not change any data stored in the chip.

RTCWR writes a byte of data into any one register of the chip. The register address goes in $609 and the data goes in $60E. This is how you set the clock.

Writing to reg $00 will alter the data in the Seconds field - not a good idea if you want to keep accurate time. Do it once and then leave it alone.

These routines can be consolidated or perhaps made more efficient. I just generated them to get the RTC up and running. My target is to run the code in the PBI when data is written to sectors 361-368 (directory update). Half the sector (if DD) is blank and never used - drop the time in there on the unused space. No code changes in DOS 2.0...

Bob

Somewhere in the thread you told us that the first time you had to write a zero in register $00.

Is your code doing that already? Or is this something I have to do?

Only the very first time? Or is it ok to do that everytime you read/write to the RTC?

Thanks

Marius

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Today I received my RTC boards. But I have to say:

I don't understand it.

I don't understand:

* What should I change to your source or RTCWT.ASM to write that first zero?

* How to set time? Do I have to run the complete routines a few times (for seconds, minutes, hours?)

* What commands for writing date?

Sorry for all questions. I don't have documentation (and if I had it, I probably wouldn't understand it).

I hope you can help!

Thanks

Marius

Some debuggin information.

When I use your RTCWT.OBJ file, I assume in register 08h there is written the value #$AA right?

When I run that OBJ file. And THEN I run the RTCRD.OBJ, There is NO #$AA placed in whatever adress from $06c0 - $06ff.

I guess it should have been placed on $06c8, but it isn't there.

As far as I can see it, the seconds are running now. I don't understand the values coming in $06c0 but ok. When I calculate them back to decimal, I see:

1, 3, 7, 11 ...

All other registers stay to #$FF.

Last thing:

When I change your "RTCWT.OBJ" file (I change the values on $0609 and $060E) into let's say:

$0609 - > #$01

$060E -> #$10

The routine crashes (hangs stuck)

I have no idea what is going wrong here.

The cable is good.

Thanks

Marius

The problem is that it hangs on

NAK BNE NAK (I DID EDIT THIS LINE YES!)

What is that?

Is this some kind of 'error-checking' system?

What does it say to me? Your cable is fault? Your RTC is fault?

Pin 1 of the first joystick port goes to SCL

Pin 2 of the first joystick port goes to SDA

VCC and Ground are good (checked with Multimeter)

greetz

M.

Completely strange...

On my Atari 800XL with 64KB it just works fine.

On my Atari 130XE with 320KB it fails. Fails also on my 576XL

What is going on here? PortB is not involved? And still it does not work on upraded XL/XE's?

any suggestions?

Thanks

Marius

Does it always fail in NAK? Some machines may need delays for the RTC to respond. A NAK occurs when the RTC does not acknowledge the 8 bits that we sent to it. When it NAKs, does the data still get loaded?

Let me see if more of my machines run OK...

Here is the data sheet on the RTC chip - DS1307.

Are you using the exact same RTC that I am?

Bob

Completely strange...

On my Atari 800XL with 64KB it just works fine.

On my Atari 130XE with 320KB it fails. Fails also on my 576XL

What is going on here? PortB is not involved? And still it does not work on upraded XL/XE's?

any suggestions?

Thanks

Marius

DS1307.pdf

Yes I use the same.

No. Reading also fails on the "NAK" machines.

I checked a stock 130xe -> also fails.

Let me check some more xl/xe computers.

I have plenty, so I'm curious.

I can't believe memory upgrade has something to do with it, since PORTA ($d300 and control register $d302) are not involved with any memory expansion at all.

Strange it is!

Marius

Ok found an 800XL with 64KB which also has the problem.

Reading with the 'it doesn't work' computer results in:

06C0 -> a wrong result

06C1 - 06FF -> #$FF

That's it.

I hope this can be fixed :D

Marius

Edit: and my 600XL reads wrong numbers on all the registers. Rather strange. To be complete: I have 2 64KB computers who do it right, the rest do all fail.

Well... I don't know how to fix it.

I hope you have a solution. I looked in your source, but I have no idea how important the timing is. I tried to insert after each 'STA $d300' a JSR PAUSE routine. But that did not do it.

It's too complicated for me, since I'm totaly uneducated on the I2C thing and all that.

Till then I keep waiting patient ;)

Greetz

M.

If you write the data on a working system, can you read it back on a 'broken' system? What I want to know is: does it fail on read and write, or just write? So, if you write data (and read it back OK) on a good machine and then move the RTC to a bad system, does it read OK at all?

For the NAK in the write routine, try BNE back to $600 and see if it can complete OK on retry.

BTW - did you solder in the resistors that they sent with the device? Does the battery measure good?

Works OK on my RAMBO 1200XL...

Bob

Yes - I don't know I2C. either.

Well... I don't know how to fix it.

I hope you have a solution. I looked in your source, but I have no idea how important the timing is. I tried to insert after each 'STA $d300' a JSR PAUSE routine. But that did not do it.

It's too complicated for me, since I'm totaly uneducated on the I2C thing and all that.

Till then I keep waiting patient ;)

Greetz

M.

If you write the data on a working system, can you read it back on a 'broken' system? What I want to know is: does it fail on read and write, or just write? So, if you write data (and read it back OK) on a good machine and then move the RTC to a bad system, does it read OK at all?

The RTC works only well on the 2 atari 800xl's. All others fail. Even when I succeed writing the time to it (on the 2 good working atari's) I can not read them out on the non-working Atari's. Only on the two working atari's I can do both good read and write. On all others both read and write fail (writing = hanging stuck, reading = wrong values)

For the NAK in the write routine, try BNE back to $600 and see if it can complete OK on retry.

No Luck. Keeps running.

BTW - did you solder in the resistors that they sent with the device? Does the battery measure good?

Yes (I guess this is right?) and Yes.

Could there be a NTSC -> PAL problem here? PAL = Slower.

Thanks

M.

I tried it on a 130XE and it fails solid. Get all $FF in $6C0-$6FF. I'll fix it and get back to you.

Weird... the circuits are the same. A 1200XL with the same OS works fine. An 800 works fine. An 800XL works fine.

Bob

The RTC works only well on the 2 atari 800xl's. All others fail. Even when I succeed writing the time to it (on the 2 good working atari's) I can not read them out on the non-working Atari's. Only on the two working atari's I can do both good read and write. On all others both read and write fail (writing = hanging stuck, reading = wrong values)

No Luck. Keeps running.

Yes (I guess this is right?) and Yes.

Could there be a NTSC -> PAL problem here? PAL = Slower.

Thanks

M.

Do you have access to something like a blackbox?

I mean: can you write REALTIME (during a program) in a memory location?

All test results I'm posted here are on a failing machine.

When I try to write a #$01 in register #$01

The program hangs stuck on $067f (the NAK thing)

At that moment $D300 reads #$FF

When I write #$FC to $d300 it das actually change to #$FC

Yesterday before I went to bed I tried a few other things (all with no luck)

I tried a PAUSE between a few routines. No changes

I build a new -very short- cable. Still no changes.

I measured the SCL and SDA lines when the computer hangs stuck on $067F

SCL = +5V

SDA = +4.99V

I also measured the SCL and SDA lines after reading:

SCL = 0.30V

SDA = +4.99V

Perhaps you can do something with that info.

Thanks!

Marius

I try to understand the way data is transferred. Am I right on this:

to write a bit:

Clockline is low

DataLine set high (to write the bit)

then

Clockline set high (the bit is actually transferred here)

then

Clockline set low (to be able to go to the next bit)

Is this what happens on writing?

Thanks

Marius

When the computer hangs stuck on $067F

A = #$02

Y = #$00

X = #$06

in the read routine you put a SEC around a AND #$02.

I'm not competely sure WHY, but in the write routine that SEC isn't there.

Another thing:

When the Bits direction is set through $D302. Does this mean PortA is read AND write?

Don't you have to change $D302 'all the time' to do a read and write over these lines?

Just a question.

M.

Look what I found here;

http://members.casema.nl/hhaydn/howel/logic/i2c_bus.htm

And read the LAST line:

A 6502 running at 1.77 MHz is not fast enough to bit-bash I2C at 100 kHz, let alone 400 kHz, so you will have to find the actual rate by experiment.

Is that a clue that the chance that it will never work exists?

Greetz

M.

Yes - that is the sequence once you have selected the device.

Bob

I try to understand the way data is transferred. Am I right on this:

to write a bit:

Clockline is low

DataLine set high (to write the bit)

then

Clockline set high (the bit is actually transferred here)

then

Clockline set low (to be able to go to the next bit)

Is this what happens on writing?

Thanks

Marius

I'm not sure yet...

First test results are promising.

I have been debugging for hours, and It SEEMS I have a working WRITE to Clock routine now.

When I write to the RTC on the nonworking atari, it does not hang stuck anymore, and when I read it back on the WORKING Atari I got the right results.

I can't tell you at THIS moment what the changes are, since i have been using workfile10 right now.

When it is finished I come back here.

The reading tool is not working yet.

Greetz

M.

I don't know about the SEC, but the $D302 setting makes the lines outputs rather than inputs. The clock line is always writing - no issues there. The data line, however, reads and writes. It turns out that the line is what they call an open collector, which means that it only pulls the line low - it does not pull the line high. This allows any number of devices to share the interface. I have set this up so that the data line pulls the PA1 line low, as if it were also an open-collector net. This seems to work fine, but it may be a poor design. I'll add back the MAKEIN routine (that I removed from the later versions) and see if that resolves the problem. It may be that the later versions of the 6520 had a higher current sink than the older ones.

The maximum frequency of the DS1307 is 100KHZ, I believe. (does not work as written on the XL7) Regardless, the minimum frequency appears to be 0KHZ, so we don't have to be concerned with how long something takes.

Bob

When the computer hangs stuck on $067F

A = #$02

Y = #$00

X = #$06

in the read routine you put a SEC around a AND #$02.

I'm not competely sure WHY, but in the write routine that SEC isn't there.

Another thing:

When the Bits direction is set through $D302. Does this mean PortA is read AND write?

Don't you have to change $D302 'all the time' to do a read and write over these lines?

Just a question.

M.