IGNORED

What ways are there to get date and time in Atari?

Marius

Hi!

Can anyone tell me what solutions are available (so you can buy it, or build it yourself) to have time and date in your Atari.

I'm NOT running SpartaDOS X and I have to say, I'm not planning to do.

Most imporant for me is that it works with Disk based version of SpartaDOS (Like 3.3a)

My solution at this moment is:

After each boot I load the S2UTIME, which downloads time from my Sio2USB Interface.

That works great, but it almost 'forces' me to keep using Sio2USB. I'm VERY happy with it, so It is not so bad to stay with it at all, but I really want to have some alternatives for the time.

Another solution is:

Using APE and download (just like Sio2USB) the TIME and DATE into atari.

My question is:

Is there a stand-alone TIME/DATE thing that let me download time/date through sio, or perhaps nullmodem cable?

Are there still 'real time clock' solutions? I read in another thread something about new plans...

I also fount a polish site about a build-yourself realtime clock, but I'm afraid that one is only compatible with SDX. I don't have that.

Is there any other solutions? RT8 carts appear to be unavailable. I once owned two RTC's from sunmark, but they did their job not so good (in my Atari setup)

Thanks for info!

Marius

Would it be possible to build this thing:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 4001108540361?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=400110854036&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Or this thing:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2003772914641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200377291464&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Or perhaps this one:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106149269521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110614926952&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Into the atari? If yes: how... (aditional parts needed perhaps?) if no: why not?

Is it hard to write some code for this thing?

My idea is: it is connected to adress and datalines in the atari. I write a read and write routine in Mac/65 and I'm done...

But perhaps I think too easy?

Thanks

Marius

I'm not sure if those ones would connect up to the address/data lines.

This one does, and it's not so difficult to make. We might even get the ARC onto a simple ready-made PCB one day. If you're into building stuff, the ARC is probably the easiest. Or you could just wait for Ultimarte 1MB (I believe use of SDX isn't mandatory).

I'm not sure if those ones would connect up to the address/data lines.

This one does, and it's not so difficult to make. We might even get the ARC onto a simple ready-made PCB one day. If you're into building stuff, the ARC is probably the easiest. Or you could just wait for Ultimarte 1MB (I believe use of SDX isn't mandatory).

Hi!

the problem of that thread is that i don't understand a word of it anymore. That is why I started this thread. eveyryone is sending new schematics, new comments, I really have no idea where to start, or what to build.

I need a 100% working ready to build schematic, to be able to make anything. I don't understand a thing of electronics. I only can build it. It's strange, but what I build is good, and works always... well... amost always ;) ... but I don't know what I do. So as soon as people are sending comments, new schematics, or variations, or whatever I'm confused.

So If you can give me an error-free schematic, which works on NON SDX system, i would be VERY happy.

An ehm... Ultimate 1mb made by candle... is that one WITH RTC? And is that one also intereseting when you do not own/use SDX?

THanks

Marius

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 4001108540361?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=400110854036&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Or this thing:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2003772914641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200377291464&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Or perhaps this one:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106149269521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110614926952&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Into the atari? If yes: how... (aditional parts needed perhaps?) if no: why not?

My idea is: it is connected to adress and datalines in the atari. I write a read and write routine in Mac/65 and I'm done...

Thanks

Marius

All three could be built in to an atari. All they need are 3 I/O lines (Clock, data and interrupt, not clock as in time of day but as in a timing pulse to read the data).

But there would be no way to Plug and Play. You would have to write the software to drive the 3 lines in such a way as to get the time out of the chip. And set the correct time once and a while.

Also you cannot just connect one of these to the atari address and data lines. All three of these are serial devices and the address and data lines are parallel. And before any one asks they are not RS232 serial, it's a different protocol called I2C (pronounced eye-squared-see)

You could build one in to a cartridge if you added in some interface logic, not a big task...

BTW the middle one has no idea what they are selling the battery back up is 3Volts not 5 icon_wink.gif

Why build it when it's all done in a kit? I just ordered three of them... I'll let you know how they work out. I would guess that they would hook into the joystick lines pretty well - not often you would need to set the clock in the middle of a round of Pole Position!

Bob

Or this thing:

Or perhaps this one:

Thanks

Marius

I would guess that they would hook into the joystick lines pretty well - not often you would need to set the clock in the middle of a round of Pole Position!

Bob

Well as long as it is compatible with Dos 2.0s I'm happy.

Oh wait... that was another thread ;)

Marius

Plug this into a joystick port and store the time/date in sector 720, 4 bytes for each file in the directory...

Works for me!

Bob

I would guess that they would hook into the joystick lines pretty well - not often you would need to set the clock in the middle of a round of Pole Position!

Bob

Well as long as it is compatible with Dos 2.0s I'm happy.

Oh wait... that was another thread ;)

Marius

Using the joystick port sounds like a clever idea. So when you write a file, then you would run a little separate program to update the time/date. And use some type of coding scheme (BCD or?) to store date and time in several bytes in good ol' sector 720? But wouldn't keeping track of the position in the directory be a problem as you erase and re-use directory entry positions? Perhaps also mark sector 719 used (maybe more), also, since in SD you only have 128 bytes in #720? Something along this line?

-Larry

Plug this into a joystick port and store the time/date in sector 720, 4 bytes for each file in the directory...

Works for me!

Bob

I think it would be best just to write the raw date/time into sector 720 every time you updated the directory in DOS. (when you are updating, you know which entry you are using, right? date/time goes in byte direntry*4) The routine should be as simple (and compact) as possible, so it can be squeezed up into OS code and JSR'd from DOS 2.0 at the end of the directory update (so we can use his buffer).

Where we would use the date/time will probably have more code space where we can convert to ATASCII and such. And, yes, SD DOS 2.0 will only be able to store 32 entries on a real diskette. (on a PBI device, the sky is the limit)

I don't see much value in telling time on the screen, but I have wished for timestamps in DOS 2.0 many. Not needed to be complicated - who is oldest, who is next...

The other cool thing about the DS1307 chip is that is has 56 bytes of non-volitile RAM.

Bob

Using the joystick port sounds like a clever idea. So when you write a file, then you would run a little separate program to update the time/date. And use some type of coding scheme (BCD or?) to store date and time in several bytes in good ol' sector 720? But wouldn't keeping track of the position in the directory be a problem as you erase and re-use directory positions? Perhaps also mark sector 719 used (maybe more), also, since in SD you only have 128 bytes in #720? Something along this line?

-Larry

Works for me!

Bob

Well, you could know -- if you had deleted files, the deleted files would be marked before the directory is updated with your new entry, so the first "empty" directory position would be re-used first. If the routine can be automatically run at the end of the update, then yes, seems like it would work. Pretty slick!

-Larry

I think it would be best just to write the raw date/time into sector 720 every time you updated the directory in DOS. (when you are updating, you know which entry you are using, right? date/time goes in byte direntry*4) The routine should be as simple (and compact) as possible, so it can be squeezed up into OS code and JSR'd from DOS 2.0 at the end of the directory update (so we can use his buffer).

Where we would use the date/time will probably have more code space where we can convert to ATASCII and such. And, yes, SD DOS 2.0 will only be able to store 32 entries on a real diskette. (on a PBI device, the sky is the limit)

I don't see much value in telling time on the screen, but I have wished for timestamps in DOS 2.0 many. Not needed to be complicated - who is oldest, who is next...

The other cool thing about the DS1307 chip is that is has 56 bytes of non-volitile RAM.

Bob

Today I finished my "beta" tool (it can hardly be called a beta yet) which does the following.

(And I have to admit, I'm rather proud ...)

For this tool you need a lantronix or other RS232 -> Ethernet converter.

My tool connects to a time server. Downloads time. Convert UTC to the right time zone (you have to specify this in tool) and it even has option for Daylight Saving Time.

Then it puts time and date into spartados and that's it.

And best of all: it works!

I already have the Abbuc Sio2USB connected to my Atari, so I did not really needed this solution, but I wanted to know whether it would be possible to download time from a timeserver or not. And it works.

Ofcourse one can download also time from Ape, but I'm always and only interested in standalone solutions. Well, this is standalone enough for me.

Now I have to create a nice user interface/config screen, and then I MIGHT release the tool. Now I'm interested in:

Who uses a lantronix (or something like that) and feels that he needs this tool hehe. Let me know, and I might be more in a hurry ;)

Marius

p.s. I am SO happy with my Mac/65 ... it works so well!!!

For those too lazy to make their own boards: http://futurlec.com/Mini_DS1307.shtml $7.90 plus shipping each. There's I2C code somjewhere here on Atariage, so interfacing it should be realtively easy.

Hey David_P

I'm rather sure you did not read the whole thread, didn't you?

See the ebay auctions... all boards like your link :D

Marius

Actually, I opened the ebay links in other tabs; my DNS decided not to show them, so I assumed they were only chips, not full boards... and now I feel like a fool.

On the plus side, Futurlec's price is better... so I can still feel foolish, but a little bit helpful as well...

• 3 weeks later...

OK - plugs into joystick port. Outputs BCD date and time along with 56 bytes of scratch memory. The code to read it fits into $600 along with the 64 byte buffer for the data. A separate routine writes one byte into any of the chip addresses.

Bob

post-14708-129736808649_thumb.jpg

Why build it when it's all done in a kit? I just ordered three of them... I'll let you know how they work out. I would guess that they would hook into the joystick lines pretty well - not often you would need to set the clock in the middle of a round of Pole Position!

Bob

Or this thing:

Or perhaps this one:

Thanks

Marius

OK - plugs into joystick port. Outputs BCD date and time along with 56 bytes of scratch memory. The code to read it fits into $600 along with the 64 byte buffer for the data. A separate routine writes one byte into any of the chip addresses.

Bob

Fantastic!!! Are you going to release that code? I'm very interested!

Which pins of that PCB are wired to which pins of the joystickport? Could you provide some more information about that?

Will this work with all those available rtc PCB's?

Thanks

Marius

Ok I ordered also three of such pcb.

I am wondering: can I build such a thing INSIDE my atari, and also connect a joystick to the port?

With other words: would the RTC PCB get harmed by moving the joystick?

If I know which pins I have to wire to what pins on the joystick port AND I have some code, than I can create a SpartaDOS (not SDX!) version that downloads and/or sets time.

@bob

The code you described (in page 6) ... is that just a up/download routine, or is it a special routine for DOS 2.x?

What I need for for SpartaDOS is just 6 bytes:

3 bytes for time

3 bytes for date.

I'm very excited about this solution by the way. I'm very glad that this will result in a easy and stable time solution!

Greetz

M.

It is arbitrary, but I wired the CLK line to PA0 and the DATA line to PA1. You could just as well wire into port 2 (the second joystick) if you like.

Sure, it will work the same from the inside as the outside. But, ... a joystick? You can't have a joystick and the clock use the same wires - one is Input and one is Output. You might be able to move the clock to J/S 2 and use a joystick in J/S 1. Sure you want to? It works on an old 800 - use that? Or, if you don't have a memory upgrade, use PBx lines, like PB2 and 3. (watch the clock run in the 1200XL LEDs)

You CAN plug in the RTC, read the date and time, remove it, and plug in a J/S. Using them both together (on the same pins) might damage the RTC if the RTC was driving a 0 and the J/S was driving a 1 - don't know.

The code is just for reading the RTC. Another routine writes the registers. Yes, I wish I had the DOS 2.0 code... not yet!

I will post the code if someone can tell me how to get it from Atari to AA...

Bob

Ok I ordered also three of such pcb.

I am wondering: can I build such a thing INSIDE my atari, and also connect a joystick to the port?

With other words: would the RTC PCB get harmed by moving the joystick?

If I know which pins I have to wire to what pins on the joystick port AND I have some code, than I can create a SpartaDOS (not SDX!) version that downloads and/or sets time.

@bob

The code you described (in page 6) ... is that just a up/download routine, or is it a special routine for DOS 2.x?

What I need for for SpartaDOS is just 6 bytes:

3 bytes for time

3 bytes for date.

I'm very excited about this solution by the way. I'm very glad that this will result in a easy and stable time solution!

Greetz

M.

It should work with any RTC that uses the DS1307 chip.

Bob

Bob

Fantastic!!! Are you going to release that code? I'm very interested!

Which pins of that PCB are wired to which pins of the joystickport? Could you provide some more information about that?

Will this work with all those available rtc PCB's?

Thanks

Marius

If you could save the code to an ATR you could get it here on AtariAge.

I want to build such a thing in my Atari. As I'm not a technician I really need to know exactly which pins to connect to each other.

The thing I bought has the same outputs/inputs as yours on the picture.

You created a nice joystick connector for that.

Is PA1 and PA0 a pin of the joystick connector?

Please tell me everything :D

Thanks

Marius

p.s. did you do some code in Mac/65 ? Perhaps you could take pictures of the screen showing ALL the code and put them here :D

On the joystick connector:

Pin 1 is PA0 - goes to CLK (SCL)

Pin 2 is PA1 - goes to DATA (SDA)

Pin 8 is ground (GND)

Pin 7 is +5v (Vcc)

If you look very closely at the face of the 9-pin connector, you will see the pin numbers cast into the plastic.

When you first install the battery, the chip will initialize with the clock disabled. You have to store $00 into register $00 to start timing.

Bob

If you could save the code to an ATR you could get it here on AtariAge.

I want to build such a thing in my Atari. As I'm not a technician I really need to know exactly which pins to connect to each other.

The thing I bought has the same outputs/inputs as yours on the picture.

You created a nice joystick connector for that.

Is PA1 and PA0 a pin of the joystick connector?

Please tell me everything :D

Thanks

Marius

p.s. did you do some code in Mac/65 ? Perhaps you could take pictures of the screen showing ALL the code and put them here :D