IGNORED

Hyperdimension Neptunia

cimerians

This by far has to be the strangest RPG yet. I need to try it out. I'll be looking for it.

Its all three console babes (consoles)

vs.

the evil Arfoire (R4 Chip)

LOL

Hyperdimension Neptunia

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/hyperdimension-neptunia-premium-edition-includes-extra-picture/

Well, I wasted my money and ordered it. It looks too bizarre to pass up... though you have to be aware it's gonna have scantily clad anime girls in it. It seems to be playing off of the OSTan thing that shows up in Japanese forums.

Edited by Lendorien

This by far has to be the strangest RPG yet. I need to try it out. I'll be looking for it.

vs.

LOL

Hyperdimension Neptunia

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/hyperdimension-neptunia-premium-edition-includes-extra-picture/

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Don't you realize that I'm trying to quit buying stuff? I have more JRPGs than I can play in my remaining lifetime. I feel like a compulsive hoarder. Are you trying to kill me???

Oh, well. Off to Amazon.com.

though you have to be aware it's gonna have scantily clad anime girls in it.

And the problem with that is? :D

Frankly, I'm not sure my GF will approve. That's the problem. :P

So here's a question, since this game follows the concept of anthrophomorphized video game consoles, it might be fun to see what some of our classic game consoles like Atari 2600, Intellivision, etc would be like. Sorta like the OS-Tans.

Edited by Lendorien

I've been following it since it came out in Japan last year. I just preordered it today! But... *sigh* I have WAAAAY too many JRPGs to play, so... ack.

Me too. I have well over 200 all lined up on a bookshelf. Having the attention span of a gnat and not anywhere near as much free time as I'd need doesn't help.

Xenosaga III is hanging over me like a curse. I get fed up with it quickly. So far, I think it's definitely the worst of the trilogy. I find myself playing about an hour and then getting hopelessly bored. So, I move to something else.

So, I play Cross Edge for a while, but then Trinity Universe comes out. I stop playing Cross Edge, which I'm enjoying a lot, to try out Trinity Universe. But, I get killed by some ridiculously powerful pirate ghost thing and I get pissed off, so I quit playing and try something else. Then I find myself playing Adventures to Go because I found it for ridiculously cheap. That's pretty cool, but Valkyria Chronicles II is sitting right there and I wanna see how cool it is.

Then I feel guilty, because Valkyria Chronicles 1 is sitting there all lonesome, but so are Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odyssey. But before I can even reach for them, I see Etrian Odyssey II and recall how oddly cool it was to use the touchscreen to map stuff. I play that for a bit and die horribly, and then I think back to really old school and pop Wizardry into the NES. I get all nostalgic for the wireframe dungeons, until I realize I have to dig out my old maps and figure it would be a good idea to play something else. That leads me to Dragon Warrior and pure grinding satisfaction, and I kill slimes, ghosts, and scorpions for two days straight until I can get the first weapon upgrade.

Then I remember I really want to complete the Xenosaga trilogy. I put all that stuff back on the shelf, sigh a sigh of resignation, and put the Xenosaga III disc in and fight some irrelevant bitch who is guarding a damn mine tunnel, all so I can hopefully get closer to getting Kos-Mos back in my party so the game can get back on track.

And somewhere in there I played through Final Fantasy XIII and about 20 hours into Arc Rise Fantasia.

Oh well. I'll take the problem of having too much fun stuff to play any day. :D

I put in my preorder for this within a day or two after it was first opened for preorders at NIS America's online store (now with free shipping!). So, I'll be getting their store-exclusive pack of Neptunia playing cards; it will probably sit in my drawer beside my pack of El-Hazard playing cards. I don't think Amazon.com will have a markedly better price, nor will they offer any gaming credit for such a niche title.

Xenosaga III is hanging over me like a curse. I get fed up with it quickly. So far, I think it's definitely the worst of the trilogy.

Oddly enough, I think the general consensus is that III is the best of the trilogy. At the least, I've never heard of anyone thinking it's worse than II.

The only JRPGs I've ever actually finished are the first Dragon Quest and the first Final Fantasy (both via emulator).

onmode-ky

Xenosaga III is hanging over me like a curse. I get fed up with it quickly. So far, I think it's definitely the worst of the trilogy.

Oddly enough, I think the general consensus is that III is the best of the trilogy. At the least, I've never heard of anyone thinking it's worse than II.

The only JRPGs I've ever actually finished are the first Dragon Quest and the first Final Fantasy (both via emulator).

onmode-ky

I only got halfway through Xenosaga II before moving on to something else. i don't typically mind JRPG grinding (it's to be expected), but the amount you had to go through to be ready for even the early bosses was just too much. From what IGN said about it I assumed that III was just more of the same.

I am looking forward to Neptunia though.

The last 2 years I finished Suikoden I (for the second time) and V. Final Fantasy 1 on the PSP

Wild Arms 1 and I'm playing part 2 off and on.

Eternal Sonata and I think a few strategy RPG's. Grim Grimoire was one of them.

Anyone play Star Ocean? I was thinking about getting the PS3 version (International) but I'm not sure about the game. I heard the story is confusing as are a lot of JRPG's and you need to sink tons of time into it (again, like most of them).

Resonance of Fate looks interesting but I dont think I like the whole gun thing.

Another cool series was Shadow Hearts. I need to go back to those and play them sometime.

I might be getting hyperbolic about Xenosaga 3. I've had serious problems dedicating myself to the Xenosaga games. They all have such dull first halves. My pattern with the first two games was to start playing, get bored, let it sit for a year, come back, get bored, let it sit for another year, come back, get interested as the plot kicks in gear, and complete the game. The thing is that the combat system of X3 just isn't involving me. I'm actually missing the tedious combat system of X2, because at least I would be planning out my strategies while standing around stocking power for 15 minutes per fight.

Anyway, as for Hyperdimension Neptunia, it looks like it might have a similar (but nowhere near identical) combat engine to Trinity Universe.

Be ready for to pay a few extra bucks to download a few perks. While Cross Edge was perfectly playable without any of the download goodies, Record of Agarest War was extremely rough without that first money pack. It's part of their formula. If you're buying this game, you may want to think of it as costing at least $10 more, because you'll probably want some DLC to make things a little easier.

The last 2 years I finished Suikoden I (for the second time) and V. Final Fantasy 1 on the PSP

Anyone play Star Ocean? I was thinking about getting the PS3 version (International) but I'm not sure about the game. I heard the story is confusing as are a lot of JRPG's and you need to sink tons of time into it (again, like most of them).

Resonance of Fate looks interesting but I dont think I like the whole gun thing.

Another cool series was Shadow Hearts. I need to go back to those and play them sometime.

I had a really bad experience with Star Ocean: Till the End of Time on the PS2. That said, I couldn't resist the lure of giving Star Ocean: The Last Hope on the 360 a try. The preview movies looked so kewl! While it has a slow pace, it's a much better game. I thought it was pretty good. But, you know, attention span of a gnat.

Resonance of Fate is a standout game. It's got a really cool combat system, and it looks beautiful. It has a truly unique mechanic which is extremely fun (and potentially maddeningly frustrating). It's turn based, but it's about motion. The biggest problem is the game overloads with cool. After seeing the same super spectacular acrobatic gun-fu move for the millionth time, it starts to get a bit old. Still, very stylish game.

Shadow Hearts is pretty damn neat. I was playing some of that not too long ago. It has a "wheel" mechanic which is a button press timing gimmick. The big problem is that EVERYTHING you do in the game, every attack, every spell, every action, requires you spin the wheel and time your button press. If you don't time it right, then whatever you're attempting fails. I'm of extremely mixed feelings about the wheel. I don't like timing gimmicks, but I have to admit that it keeps me glued to the game.

I had a really bad experience with Star Ocean: Till the End of Time on the PS2. That said, I couldn't resist the lure of giving Star Ocean: The Last Hope on the 360 a try. The preview movies looked so kewl! While it has a slow pace, it's a much better game. I thought it was pretty good. But, you know, attention span of a gnat.

Resonance of Fate is a standout game. It's got a really cool combat system, and it looks beautiful. It has a truly unique mechanic which is extremely fun (and potentially maddeningly frustrating). It's turn based, but it's about motion. The biggest problem is the game overloads with cool. After seeing the same super spectacular acrobatic gun-fu move for the millionth time, it starts to get a bit old. Still, very stylish game.

Shadow Hearts is pretty damn neat. I was playing some of that not too long ago. It has a "wheel" mechanic which is a button press timing gimmick. The big problem is that EVERYTHING you do in the game, every attack, every spell, every action, requires you spin the wheel and time your button press. If you don't time it right, then whatever you're attempting fails. I'm of extremely mixed feelings about the wheel. I don't like timing gimmicks, but I have to admit that it keeps me glued to the game.

LOL, thats exactly how I felt about the wheel. Frustrating if you dont time it right but keeps you hooked into playing.

Thanks for the info on Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate. I'm still on the fence about those two.

Thanks for the info on Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate. I'm still on the fence about those two.

Take a look at your local walmart just in case they have copies of Star Ocean in the discount bin. I picked up a copy around christmas for 10 bucks. Got Resonance of Fate from walmart about the same time when they halved the price down to 30.

vs.

LOL

Hyperdimension Neptunia

As for topic of the thread, I'm preordered at the NIS America online store for the limited edition. Apparently you also get a pack of playing cards as a bonus, available exclusively through their shop while supplies last. ;)

I'm far too weak against limited editions.

Take a look at your local walmart just in case they have copies of Star Ocean in the discount bin. I picked up a copy around christmas for 10 bucks. Got Resonance of Fate from walmart about the same time when they halved the price down to 30.

Whoa thanks! Sometimes I go to Target for discount bins but there is a walmart farther away from where I live. I'll try it.

I like limited editions too especially if I get cloth maps!

In this case playing cards with art are sweet too. :D

Damn! More!

http://nisamerica.com/games/atq/

I cant keep up. I love this series on the PS2 but I only got about halfway through the first game.

I'm a bit dubious about this one, but I've had it pre-ordered for a while.

NIS America just recently added it to it's own shop for preorders, if that's not where you had it preordered at. So odds are this means they know they're closing in on release time. I'm holding off on trying to preorder AT3 until after Hyperdimension is released. :)

• 2 weeks later...