IGNORED

I have a SNES and...

Rev. Rob

I don't care for first party Nintendo games, Mega Man, SHMUPs, 2D Capcom or SNK fighters, or turn based RPGs. I love some good action and strategy. What should I buy? Price be damned! For all of the hype this system has, I am having trouble finding games I like for it.

Edited by Rev. Rob

You should buy a the GameDoctor SF7 that's posted in the market place... but enough with shameless self-promotion...

Have you really tried all the first party games such as Super Mario World? What about the titles they licensed to Rareware like Donkey Kong Country and StarFox?

You could try Earth Worm Jim or maybe could try playing the SNES version of Arkanoid.

Is Sim City considered strategy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuTt_bYYXF8&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

I played that for years. Also got Sim City 2000 near the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVozdF5msic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVozdF5msic&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

I rented Aerobiz Supersonic and had some fun with that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6UtJjVaUrg&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

Honestly, if you don't like first party games or turn-based RPGs, you are severely limiting the number of good SNES games that will appeal to you. For action, try Super Turrican, Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, Super Castlevania, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Blackthorne, Batman Returns and Super Metroid. Yeah, that last one is first party, but if you don't like Super Metroid then you don't like video games. For Strategy I can't help you.

Chris

Edit: As RT pointed out, there is SimCity. I don't know if that counts as strategy, but it is a very good port of the classic game. I reviewed it for my website here.

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

If you're looking for action + strategy, you really must check out ActRaiser. Yes, it's first-party, but it's a great mix of side-scrolling action/platformer and sim game. And the music is among the best I've heard for any console title, ever.

Otherwise, hmmm...for non-turn-based RPGs, I'd suggest Secret of Mana first and foremost. I have a soft spot for Drakkhen and Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, but most people don't agree. All three games have glorious music, which I think is maybe the console's biggest strength in general. Shadowrun is worthwhile too.

SNES also has the best, most faithful port of Mortal Kombat II in its era (the 32X version is wildly overrated and, contrary to reports, doesn't really play like the arcade). There are other multi-platform games like Out of This World, Flashback, Lost Vikings, Sunset Riders, Super Turrican, Zombies Ate My Neighbors...some people prefer the Genesis versions of these, others the SNES versions.

Some people like the Star Wars trilogy a lot; my memory is that I found them cheap and frustrating, but YMMV. TMNT IV has its merits, though I remember it as being too easy.

Finally, don't overlook the exasperating Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge which has amazing tunes from Tim Follin. I'm still astonished at what he was able to do. Too bad the game itself is frustratingly difficult and desperately in need of a password system.

Edited by thegoldenband

Huh, you're right. For some reason I could've sworn it had the Nintendo brand on it. In that case, there's really no reason for Rev. Rob not to get it! :D

(If it's "not even close to first party", what would be "close to first-party", I wonder?)

Edited by thegoldenband

If you're looking for action + strategy, you really must check out ActRaiser. Yes, it's first-party, but it's a great mix of side-scrolling action/platformer and sim game. And the music is among the best I've heard for any console title, ever.

Otherwise, hmmm...for non-turn-based RPGs, I'd suggest Secret of Mana first and foremost. I have a soft spot for Drakkhen and Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, but most people don't agree. All three games have glorious music, which I think is maybe the console's biggest strength in general. Shadowrun is worthwhile too.

SNES also has the best, most faithful port of Mortal Kombat II in its era (the 32X version is wildly overrated and, contrary to reports, doesn't really play like the arcade). There are other multi-platform games like Out of This World, Flashback, Lost Vikings, Sunset Riders, Super Turrican, Zombies Ate My Neighbors...some people prefer the Genesis versions of these, others the SNES versions.

Some people like the Star Wars trilogy a lot; my memory is that I found them cheap and frustrating, but YMMV. TMNT IV has its merits, though I remember it as being too easy.

Finally, don't overlook the exasperating Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge which has amazing tunes from Tim Follin. I'm still astonished at what he was able to do. Too bad the game itself is frustratingly difficult and desperately in need of a password system.

Spider-Man/X-Men is really easy if you do the 99 lives trick with Gambit on his first level. I found that trick on my own. Keep jumping over that star at the top of the screen without touching it...

This is a really good list so far, I am doing Googling. No, I don't care for Super Mario World. I've never really played Super Metroid, but I didn't much care for the first one, and cannot stand the recent releases. I'll give it a shot.

Also, if it was released on Genesis, and it's a game I'd like, I probably already have it, like EWJ, or Mortal Kombat, Lost Vikings, et cetera.

Edited by Rev. Rob

Hmmmm. And people think I'm hard to please when I ask for DS or NES suggestions. ;)

I'm not really sure what to suggest, or if I could suggest anything you'd like. Your tastes seem vastly different from mine. I'll take a shot, though.

If you like strategy, then get Romance of the Three Kingdoms. There are several installments for the SNES. My favorite is II. Also, take a look at Nobunaga's Ambition and Gemfire.

Do you like scrolling brawlers? Try Final Fight 3 or Knights of the Round. King of Dragons is one I always wanted and never tracked down, but the arcade game it's based on is good. They're all Capcom brawlers, though. So there's little technique other than turning on turbo on the punch button and slogging through. They're fun with friends, though.

Castlevania IV is a wonderful action platformer which was suggested above. I think it's one of the best games of the whole franchise. It should be pretty damn cheap too, so check it out if you somehow missed it.

Super Bomberman 2 is pretty decent. It has a nice single player mode.

The following two games are pretty cheezy, but I find them kinda neat. There are two titles called War: 2410 and War: 3010. They're very obscure and low budget grid and turn based wargames. They're limited, but they might be worth a look if you can find them for cheap.

A title I always wanted and could never find was Super Conflict. It was a grid and turn based modern wargame. Might be worth investigating.

There's a Civilization port for the SNES. Last I checked (which was years ago), it was ridiculously expensive.

Metal Marines is a strange type of game which might be worth a look. I've never seen a physical cart, though.

I don't care for first party Nintendo games, Mega Man, SHMUPs, 2D Capcom or SNK fighters, or turn based RPGs. I love some good action and strategy. What should I buy? Price be damned! For all of the hype this system has, I am having trouble finding games I like for it.

Contra 3

Zombies Ate my Neighbors

Castlevania IV

Gemfire (Strategy game that will give you a boner)

Secret of Mana (Action RPG that will give you a boner)

Kirby Superstar

Any of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms game

Der Langrisser (Need a flash cart cause its a Translated ROM of a <3 strategy game)

Ogre Battle

Super Bonk (If you don't like Bonk you don't matter as a human being!)

I see someone mentioned the Koei games, which are excelent strategy games. Some of their games not allready mentioned are PTO 1 and 2, Liberty or Death, and Genghis Kahn II.

There was also a game called Utopia, which was a port of a european PC game.

Super Conflict is a enhanced version of the original Conflict from the NES.

And Super Godzilla has some strategy aspects to it, as well as classic monster fighting. :)

Edited by SoulBlazer

With those restrictions Genesis is a *much* easier platform to recommend games for, but I suppose you've easily figured that out.

In my collection, the easiest to recommend are:

•  
  • Sunset Riders, SNES one is better than sega version
  • Mickey Mania, which was better on segaCD
  • Mega man x games, which are all about the same.

I never got into Super Castlevania IV for some reason. It's near the bottom of my 2d castlevania list. I enjoyed the critically unloved 'Bloodlines' on Genesis far more.

Metal Marines is a strange type of game which might be worth a look. I've never seen a physical cart, though.

I really loved the windows version back in the day, I should check this one out. It looks a lot more polished on snes, but the interface does't seem anywhere close to being as usable.

Edited by Reaperman

I thought about suggesting the Koei strategy games, but most of them are available on Genesis/Sega CD/32X. One exception is Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, which is on 32X but only in Japanese, so the SNES is the best choice for that one (unless you go with a later-gen version).

Rise of the Phoenix is exclusive to the SNES, and the second installments of Nobunaga's Ambition and P.T.O. weren't on the Genesis (at least not in English). Same thing with Inindo, but I think that's a turn-based RPG.

Edited by thegoldenband

Contra 3

Zombies Ate my Neighbors

Castlevania IV

Gemfire (Strategy game that will give you a boner)

Secret of Mana (Action RPG that will give you a boner)

Kirby Superstar

Any of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms game

Der Langrisser (Need a flash cart cause its a Translated ROM of a <3 strategy game)

Ogre Battle

Super Bonk (If you don't like Bonk you don't matter as a human being!)

I don't have much new to add (I will thumb through my games for ideas later) but have to second the following:

Secret of Mana - I can't get into RPGs, but this one kept me interested. Probably at least $30-35 for this one, though. And I would want the manual if it were me.

Kirby Superstar - It has a lot going on with the various games, much fun.

Super Metroid - A whole different experience than the NES one or the Prime entries.

If you ever wanted to go to the other side and play a more turn-based RPG, Earthbound would be the one. Very goofy fun. Expensive game. Give it quick try on emu.

Huh, you're right. For some reason I could've sworn it had the Nintendo brand on it. In that case, there's really no reason for Rev. Rob not to get it! :D

(If it's "not even close to first party", what would be "close to first-party", I wonder?)

Well, there are some games that I think people assume are first party, when they are not. For example, Kirby's Adventure was not developed by Nintendo but I think a lot of people assume that it was. So I would call those "close to firstiparty". :P

I have an SNES and...

Depends on how you pronounce "SNES". Some people say "ess enn ee ess", some say "ess ness", and some say "sness".

Chris

true if you say it "snes" then it would be "a snes". it just never occurred to me that rev rob would be the kind of person who would say "snes"

but if you say a vowel sound at the beginning of a word it should be an. th an "ess enn ee ess"

like the difference for people who say "a historic event" and "an 'istoric event"

Really great suggestions here. My first buy was Jurassic Park, and now I just bought Act Raiser. I am really looking forward to playing it and beefing up my SNES collection.

I have an SNES and...

Not if I'm saying like, "I have an S.N.E.S..." Which is how I intend it. I write it like that, but I usually say it like "sness." Come to think of it, some times I say it like "S'nesss" too.

Edited by Rev. Rob

what i'd like to know is, why nintendo went for a slowish version of the 65816 (the s.nes one is clocked at 3.56 mhz apparently) considering that WDC had faster versions of that processor and sega were coming out with their own 16 bit console clocked at just over double what the s.nes had