IGNORED

Anyone hear of Ivy League PC's?

I just picked up an old PC.

It has 44 mhz processing,

single and double density 5.25 drives

It is an IBM compatible PC, but I have NEVER heard of this company, and I cannot find any information on the internet. Ivy League is the brand.

44Mhz? That doesn't sound like any processor I know.

Back in those days, that sounds like it would probably be a 386 or a 486. I'm pretty sure that the 386s only came as 12/16/25/33/40Mhz speeds... with the 40Mhz specifically being an AMD processor. For the 486, you had 20/25/33/40/50/66/75/100 with the 50+ being DX2 or DX4.

During the mid 90s through the early 2000s... you had literally thousands and thousands of companies producing clones. Significantly more so than you have even now.

I really can't find anything about it when I do a search, so I would guess it's probably something of a clone of sorts made by a local store. Typically, local computer shops would buy up a couple hundred or so computer cases, and then special order a logo / emblem that could be inserted into the generic removable name plate (usually 7/8ths x 7/8ths) and then build a package, or custom build a machine for a customer.

I just picked up an old PC.

It has 44 mhz processing,

single and double density 5.25 drives

It is an IBM compatible PC, but I have NEVER heard of this company, and I cannot find any information on the internet. Ivy League is the brand.

44Mhz? That doesn't sound like any processor I know.

Back in those days, that sounds like it would probably be a 386 or a 486. I'm pretty sure that the 386s only came as 12/16/25/33/40Mhz speeds... with the 40Mhz specifically being an AMD processor. For the 486, you had 20/25/33/40/50/66/75/100 with the 50+ being DX2 or DX4.

During the mid 90s through the early 2000s... you had literally thousands and thousands of companies producing clones. Significantly more so than you have even now.

I really can't find anything about it when I do a search, so I would guess it's probably something of a clone of sorts made by a local store. Typically, local computer shops would buy up a couple hundred or so computer cases, and then special order a logo / emblem that could be inserted into the generic removable name plate (usually 7/8ths x 7/8ths) and then build a package, or custom build a machine for a customer.

That is most likely the case, looking closer at the logo, it is easily removable. I thought the processing speed was odd myself, but thats what it reads in the bios.

The PC runs IBM DOS 5, strange command configurations; A:\l gives you directory, A:\ac installs the contents of drive a to c. Never seen anything quite like it, but then again my computer knowledge is limited.

Never heard of it, but it sounds cool. Maybe when you originally bought it, it came with a free pipe and smoking jacket.

And I agree with 82-T/A. "Ivy League Computers" was probably a local store that put together their own clones and slapped their own badge on them. My second computer was the same deal. Local place called Digital Works that custom-built whatever you wanted, based on daily-fluctuating prices up on a dry erase board. They had their own case badges that they would stick on the computers that said "DW - DigiTal Works".

Chris

I checked Via, Cyrix, IBM, ITs ST, National Semiconductors, Texas Instruments, UMC, Chips & Technologies none of them seem to have a 386 or 486 44 Mhz processor. So i wonder what type of processor your pc is using.

Edited by Seob

The processor is an 80386DX. It is indeed 40 Mhz, however, in the BIOS it shows 44 ( :? ) so sorry about the confusion!

Other than that it has 1918 kb memory, a 540 mb HD, 1.2 mb and 360k 5.25 floppy drives.

This PC also has a turbo button :D

Running IBM DOS 5. Also noticed a wina20 file, I thought that was only standard in MS-DOS.