IGNORED

HSC8 Round 2: Bounty Bob Strikes Back

beaten the game?!!

I am so sucky at this I can't complete the first screen!

Boy what happened to me in the last 30 years, forgotten how to jump safely thats what. Used to be able to get to at least level 15

Same here. I have yet to get past the first screen. I am pretty decent at Miner 2049er, but on this one, yikes! I'll post an embarrassing score this weekend, and then get my binoculars (thanks for the suggestion sloopy).

How to crack the controllable jump (and be able to beat level 1 LJ ;) ) - at the start collect the gun and kill the bugs (hey that makes sense, could have been collect the radio or flowerpot and people would think I was crazy :-o ) Then stand near to the transporter and press fire then, when in the air move l/r and try and land plumb centre in it! Repeat this from far away and right up to a pixel or two away. Once you crack this then you are sorted :D

p.s. Lv12 Acid Rain 112,010 (forgot to turn on the extra man after my c'mon bonus challenge attempt :x ) next stop Delaware ;)

post-19705-129672992471_thumb.jpg

Hey TRBB,

If anyone knows the answer to these, you should! icon_mrgreen.gif

1) Whats the Barber Ned 'option'?

2) On the option screen, does changing Yukon Yohan to a gum chewer or a smoker make any difference whatsoever?!?

Cheers

Dom

Barber Ned gives Bob such a close crop that he looses his hat. It makes him shorter and can help on a couple of levels.

Chewing gum is better for Yohan. I think it just alters his appearance. Perhaps Bill Hogue was worried about the children watching ;-)

Hey TRBB,

2) On the option screen, does changing Yukon Yohan to a gum chewer or a smoker make any difference whatsoever?!?

Cheers

Dom

Barber Ned gives Bob such a close crop that he looses his hat. It makes him shorter and can help on a couple of levels.

Chewing gum is better for Yohan. I think it just alters his appearance. Perhaps Bill Hogue was worried about the children watching ;-)

EDIT: Forgot to post my score. 46,850 level 4. Improving slowly but have completely forgotten my route for 'Jumping 101'.

37350 1st attempt. Level 4. One of my all time favourites but I seem to be a little out of practice :(

Funny you should say that, at the last Retro Computer Museum meeting I put BBSB on one of the XL's. There were quite a few visitors that said they played the game for hours when they were young, could get to level xx/finish the game. After about 10 minutes most of them gave up after not being able to complete the first level.

Hey TRBB,

Cheers

Dom

EDIT: Forgot to post my score. 46,850 level 4. Improving slowly but have completely forgotten my route for 'Jumping 101'.

The "gum chewer/smoker" setting is for Yukon Yohan on the high score table screen. To see the effect:

1. fill up all the high score slots.

2. The next time you put a score in, the birds take the lowest score off and puts it on the ground.

(below is a spoiler...run cursor over it to see what happens next.)

3. When the music starts, two bulldozers come in and crush the old score into a cube.

4. Then Yukon Yohan comes down a ladder and kicks the cube off the screen. If he is set to "smoker" he'll have a cigar/cigarette in his mouth. If it's set to "gum chewer" it will look like he's chewing gum.

Edited by Deteacher

Can't get any of these to run on my XE :(

The fandal XEX works on my XE (PAL) I put it on a MyDOS / MyPICODos menu disk... let me know if want me to image & post it :?: Anyone else stateside with an XE using this or the ATR official ninja posted :?:

Got zapped on the Acid Rain (Lv12) going down a slide, seriously made me jump :!:

122,700 (no warps)

post-19705-129682441778_thumb.jpg

Don't fotget to have a try at the bonus challenge (see post 1) and use the warps for the highest level challenge too folks (scores count using warps or not) :)

32090 is my score so far. I use the cart version at the office, but at home, on my XE, I use the file version from this link:

http://ape.dyndns.org:8084/A-C/

Apparently, there was a problem with previous file versions of this game with machines with extended memory. This one works great for me. It looks like Steve Tucker from www.atarimax.com is responsible for the improvements.

There's more info about it in this thread.

post-3351-129685917135_thumb.jpg

I cracked the Acid Rain wearing a hat - ok it took two Bob's R.I.P. :ponder: beat the 2nd rest stop but the Hydraulic Lifts frit me :sad:

142,750 (Lv 14, no warps)

post-19705-129686138106_thumb.jpg

:)

p.s. Good info Fres - these are the sorts of things I'll add to the All Time Records and Ratings table for future generations of HSCers :D

32090 is my score so far. I use the cart version at the office, but at home, on my XE, I use the file version from this link:

http://ape.dyndns.org:8084/A-C/

Apparently, there was a problem with previous file versions of this game with machines with extended memory. This one works great for me. It looks like Steve Tucker from www.atarimax.com is responsible for the improvements.

There's more info about it in this thread.

So that's where I need to go to Steal your BBSB cart, and to think I was just getting ready to break into your house!

Top Achievers

1st therealbountybob 142750 13pts*

2nd Deteacher 134710 13pts*

3rd beamer320i 48280 11pts*

4th 4Ks 44120 10pts*

5th atariron82 40290 8pts

6th Goochman 37420 7pts

7th spookt 37350 6pts

8th Fres 32090 5pts

9th Philsan 19360 4pts

10th bluecat 17610 4pts*

11th roadrunner 17560 2pts

12th littleman jack 9190 2pts

*includes bonus points (see post #1)

(I have beamer and 4Ks on level 5 - atariron let me know if you got this far)

p.s. spookt - you can still post a score for Ms.Pac-man too ;)

So that's where I need to go to Steal your BBSB cart, and to think I was just getting ready to break into your house!

You know, it's funny you mention that because I was thinking, "Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned where my BBSB cart is because now Orpheus knows."

Welp, I'm off to booby trap my office. (Hope I don't accidentally impale one of my co-workers.)

I cracked the Acid Rain wearing a hat - ok it took two Bob's R.I.P. :ponder: beat the 2nd rest stop but the Hydraulic Lifts frit me :sad:

142,750 (Lv 14, no warps)

post-19705-129686138106_thumb.jpg

:)

p.s. Good info Fres - these are the sorts of things I'll add to the All Time Records and Ratings table for future generations of HSCers :D

Well done! I spent some time playing last night. I made it to the Super Energy Food Bars (lvl 18, I think) using warps. I'm going to have to make another run from scratch now. :)

A faster way to see the effects of the smoker/gum chewer setting on the high score table:

On the options screen, enter special code "40" then press the option button. It will take you to the high score screen. The high score screen will be filled with Y Yohan and 100 point scores. Now, just play a game and beat 100 points. Put your name in, then sit back and watch. :)

By the way, I've noticed that the music seems to play faster on the emulator (at least as best I can recall...I had this cartridge many years ago when I was growing up.) I'm using Atari800Win Plus on my new Dell XPS laptop. It's running at 100% and the emulator is running in NTSC mode. Does anyone else notice this or am I just going crazy?

EDIT: So, I tried running the emulator at 90% speed. The music sounds more right, now, but then the game seems to play too slow. :) Oh well, it's fun to play around with the settings.

Just for fun, set the emulator to run at 10% and play a little bit of the first level. It's kind of cool to hear each individual tone and see each individual animation (especially when you die from touching a mutant. Fun stuff. :)

Edited by Deteacher