IGNORED

Any interest here in Apple II gear?

poobah

Ok, apparently there *is* some interest :D

I'll hook it up all up, take some pictures and get specs.

In the interim, answers to some of the questions,

Apple IIgs:

Yes, some slight yellowing. Not sure what ROM version or memory. I'll check.

Apple IIc:

Yellowing: The computer and external drive have very little, the power supply, joystick and monitor have a fair bit more.

The monitor is a color one with RCA input (it's not the little green screen one on a stand that i've seen in pics)

All of the boxes are in good to fairly good condition.

Prices:

I took a quick look on ebay, they seem all over the place. If you like this kind of stuff, and have an idea what a fair price is (I have no clue), shoot me an offer that is fair and we'll make it happen.

That's a really nice lot of stuff you got there.

Apple actually sold a stand for using that monitor with the //c.... also that monitor has a button on it to put it into monochrome mode for using in 80column mode which is handy.

If no one bites right away and you have the time, I'd personally be inclined to look inside the //c to make sure no one added any interesting things. Particularly accelerators or RAM upgrades(later //c revisions could take a 1MB ram card that fit under the keyboard.) Odds are slim that you'll have either of these, but it's not particularly complicated to check.

Eh, I never find anything in the ones I get, but yes, there were accelerators and ram cards made for the //c. Apple actually bough the rights to Applied Engineering's accelerator, which they added to the design for the //c+. The 1MB ram cards were for later revisions only though.

Also, it's already out of box as seen in pictures. It's really not that easy to screw up a //c by opening it. A lot of users opened them to remove the rubber dust protector from the keyboard because it made the keys feel icky and mushy. Personally I just do it to blow the dust out of it because I don't like fire hazards.

I don't think there's really anything funny at all. Especially since I never said they were super common or likely. But if it did have them it would make it an easier sale... not to mention I said I'd do it if I didn't get any takers right away.

Does the color monitor come with the //c stand? It's a plastic piece that lifts it up a couple of inches, and angles it up slightly.

Do you have an idea of how much it weighs in the box? I've got several //c's, but I don't have a nice color monitor to go with it, so I might be interested.

@RK: Admittedly, it's been a while since I cracked one of these open (to blow the dust out - lol), but are you saying the case simply lifts right up and off of it? No tabs on the back that get busted off? The plastic on yellowing systems are even more brittle, but I may be confusing the //c with another system that's notorious for its case getting ruined on the first open (Amiga 600 comes to mind)...

That's some beautiful stuff right there :D

I already have a loose Apple IIc with the carrying case, and the external drive... honestly all I'm looking for right now is software.

Great to see this stuff pop up though, this looks to be in fantastic condition. :D Good luck!

@RK: Admittedly, it's been a while since I cracked one of these open (to blow the dust out - lol), but are you saying the case simply lifts right up and off of it? No tabs on the back that get busted off? The plastic on yellowing systems are even more brittle, but I may be confusing the //c with another system that's notorious for its case getting ruined on the first open (Amiga 600 comes to mind)...

It's only held together with screws if I recall. It's been a while since I've opened one... but if there were tabs it's easy enough to change one's mind when it doesn't come apart easily after removing the screws.

It's only held together with screws if I recall. It's been a while since I've opened one... but if there were tabs it's easy enough to change one's mind when it doesn't come apart easily after removing the screws.

I can field this one--

I have several //c units, and they all must be unscrewed first. Then you have to unsnap the tabs off the back of the unit, pull the panel slightly up and over the ports and power switch. Pull the back up, and it will hinge at the front and then you can pull it off. It IS a bit of a pain to take a //c apart, and care must be taken not to flex the back side too much as you pull it over the ports. And if you try to force the panel off from the front, you will break the hinges. However, If you are careful, you should be fine.

If you break the hinges or tabs, it will still fit together fine due to the screws, but the back may not line up quite right. In the early //c, the top part of the case is attached to the back plate, but only with by a couple of plastic tabs. In later //c models (it may have only been on the //c+), the top part of the case was molded into one solid piece with the back, making it a bit easier to open and less prone to breakage.

To give you a bit of hope...

Once I bought a //c on ebay for a pretty good price (around $30 shipped, iirc). It came with the external 3.5" drive, which is what I really wanted. It looked like it was in HORRIBLE shape-- it was covered in a layer of black dirt, which is why I was the only bidder and got it so cheap.

When I received it in the mail, I decided to spend the time to clean it up inside and out. I removed the case and to my surprise, I found a Z-Ram Ultra II board (pretty rare RAM expansion and battery backed clock chip) installed in it, populated fully with 1 meg of RAM. Better yet, once I cleaned it all up, it looked almost new. I can only figure that the layer of dirt on it helped protect it against fading, because there was very little yellowing on it. Both the //c and the 3.5" drive worked perfectly.

Rich

Edited by Blackbag
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...