IGNORED

Regarding the C64...

Fyrri

To save opening up another c64 thread

Can you interchange the sid chip from the old style c64 into the 2 later versions of the c64 (the c64c mobo version or the c64 based on the 64 games system mobo)

And visa versa

And i guess the same applies to the vic2 chip

On the SID, no. They are not compatible due to different voltages. You can modify one to use the other, but it's not a direct swap.

I'm not sure about the VIC2, I've never tried swapping them, since I have a good supply of any version I wouldn't need to.

The VIC-II has a different reference voltage pin (13) requirement also- it's 12V on the old and 9V on the new. Putting an newer chip in the older board could damage it over time. I'm not sure if the opposite is true- it may cause problems long term pulling more current from the 9V line.

Edited by R.Cade

Oh, the voltage also applies to the VIC-II as well? But to my knowledge, there isn't a different product number of the VIC-II between old and new C64s (unlike the SID 6581 and 8580), just the one used inside the C128... so how does that work then? The later revisions are meant just for the C64C? Or is the C128 VIC-II inside the C64C as well?