IGNORED

BREAKING NEWS: Probe 2000 - Power Lords - Atari 2600

CPUWIZ

Wiz......got my cart.....opened it up and put it in the system.....then I woke up and it was still sitting on the Kitchen table waiting to be played...

Just wanted to say the goodsa have arrived and I am waiting on that box and manual to surface.....maybe you could pm those who bought the cart and paid right away as I would think they might like to have the option to buy the box and manual when they are reproduced or produced for that manner......

Keep me posted....can't wait to get some time to play this one...since I sold my OD2 copy

.:D

Got mine yesterday and I would like to echo what others have said. The quality of the label and work CPUWIZ did on this is excellent! :thumbsup:

I also would like to get a box and manual to match if such things are ever made.

Finally, I got some play time in with this game too. Below is what I figured out (that would likely be found in a future manual :ponder: ).

----------

Gameplay/Scoring:

"Snake" screens

Each ship is worth 30 points, and increases by 30 points on successive snake screens, up to a maximum of 180 points per ship.

The snake must be hit in the neck 6 times to destroy it and allow the player to continue to the "Alien" screen. Each hit is worth 50 points on the first screen and increases by 50 points to a maximum of 300 per hit.

On the first screen only the yellow ship appears and does not shoot. Subsequent snake screens introduce a blue-ish ship and each ship can shoot back. Ships also seem to get incrementally a little faster each time.

"Alien" screens

The first time the player reaches this screen the Aliens are worth 60 points. Points are increased 30 each time until the maximum of 210 per Alien shot is reached.

The Aliens cycle in color from purple, to blue, to green. I could not really tell the difference between the purple and blue aliens, however the green ones go invisible after they get closer to the player.

The Aliens slightly increase in speed in each screen as well. There are 12 Aliens to shoot before the player is returned to the snake screen. However, the player is not requred to shoot them and can simply let them pass. The only downside to this is that the points are obvisouly not awarded.

A bonus life is awarded every 5000 points.

After a lot of play I found out there is an infinite scoring type "glitch". There is no limit to the number of ships that can be destroyed on the snake screen and as such a player can intentionally neglect the objective of shooting the snake's neck 6 times and rack up as many points as desired. A fix to this would be to place a timer on this screen (~ 1-2 minutes?) to force the player to meet the true objective. If the timer runs out then a life is lost and the screen must be tried again.

Also, I would think that for the Alien screen if an alien reached the player then a life should be lost as well. IMHO, this would make more sense and also force the player to adhere to the objective of vanquishing the aliens.

The game as it stands is still quite fun :) , but with the above minor tweaks I think it would be a blast to play the heck out of it in the HSC. :D

• Like 2

I have one SUPER CRITICAL question. How in the name of tiny fingers did you put all of those carts in those ziploc bags? It took me 2 minutes to put it back in! Talk about a perfect fit. Either I got the only one like that, and you gave up after it, or you have a) skilz or b) patience or c) a significant other (or children) that you bribed to do it.

I actually thought about using papaer as a shoe horn type of deal.

If there is a easy secret, where can we buy these form fit bags?

:lol:

Years and years of practice.

Mine is in front of me. It is a typically amazing CPUWIZ release, indicative of the high standards of quality put forward. :thumbsup:

A curious question though: I understand the reasoning behind an Atari cart shell, and this is just out of curiosity, but was Power Lords planned to be in an Atari cart shell, or do you/we even know that at this point? Not bemoaning the coolness of this release as it is VERY cool, just curious as to whether it was intended to be in an Atari shell or whether we simply don't know, so Atari it is. :)

(You know I'm only asking because I was hoping you'd break another hundred or so Telesys shells. ;) )

No, Probe actually had unique shells. I had not much of a choice, but I made sure to put a big logo on the front of the label (ShyOne actually re-drew it). :)

Oh, and I am never ever making Telesys shell repros again. EVER! POS design, lost many many hours fixing those damn thing. Almost half of the donor carts were physically broken, in one way or another. :x

Got mine Today! just tried playing it, hope it isn't offensive if I said I really don't like it all. I will try it again later maybe it will grow on me.

Thanks

Apparently it didn't, since you listed it on ebay. Oh well.

Got mine Today! just tried playing it, hope it isn't offensive if I said I really don't like it all. I will try it again later maybe it will grow on me.

Thanks

:thumbsdown:

Edited by jetset

Thanks

:thumbsdown:

Why do I get the thumbs-down? I am just telling it how it is. :?

I know it's a free market and all, yada yada.

Still waiting here. I'm guessing it'll show up on Saturday. I am 'far away' from CPU last time I checked. :)

Edit: I'm guessing Jetset is referring to the person who listed it, and not you.

Hex.

[ I will not panic... I will not panic... I will quietly panic and not say anything to alarm others... ]

Edited by hex65000

My copy arrived! I'm going to try it tonight. One thing I can say, based on the label art since I can see it up close now, the characters, as I already informed Tempest, are in fact Arkus' race. I assumed it was just Arkus attacking you again and again, but on the label it clearly shows Arkus and then a similar looking creature under him without wings. Obviously, these are the creatures you're fighting, and it is indeed in Volcan Rock as I assumed. The cover is clear on this.

• Like 1

Thanks

Wow the dude puts the finger on you for making the cart and tells tale of buying it on this forum all in one go? Classy! And people wonder why I refuse to ever make another cartridge for anyone but myself. :roll:

Edited by Shawn Sr.
  • Like 1