IGNORED

Would you play Resident Evil on the jag?

greencoman

I love oldschool RE games, but I think that RE would be hard to play with a Jaguar controller.

You ready your weapon/aim by holding the R1 button afair, and fire with one of the face buttons.

Lacking any shoulder buttons, you´d have to hold down one face button with your thumb, and have to press the fire button with the same thumb for each shot; so your thumb would have to be placed kind of on two buttons at once.

• Like 1

I would be on that like ugly on the CD-i. And I don't even like Survival-Horror games. I would love to see PS1 ports on the Jaguar CD; maybe a few JRPGs. That's what the Jag REALLY needs. :) [imagine how far people's jaws would drop if they saw Final Fantasy VII running on the Jag!]

That'd be bitchin. FF VII could totally be played on the Jag CD too - it's just prerendered backgrounds for the most part.

I think Resident Evil Could also be handled by the system. I also want the 32X ports of Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, and Star Wars Arcade.

• Like 1

That'd be bitchin. FF VII could totally be played on the Jag CD too - it's just prerendered backgrounds for the most part.
Adventure parts, maybe. The battles are full 3D.

Basically there's no point in dreaming about 3D on the Jaguar. Sure, it can do some, but it's really hard to do if you want the framerate to be decent, and the result will look poor compared to a PS1. The Jaguar was designed to be a 2D powerhouse, so let's have good 2D games instead of mediocre 3D ones :)

• Like 8

Adventure parts, maybe. The battles are full 3D.

Basically there's no point in dreaming about 3D on the Jaguar. Sure, it can do some, but it's really hard to do if you want the framerate to be decent, and the result will look poor compared to a PS1. The Jaguar was designed to be a 2D powerhouse, so let's have good 2D games instead of mediocre 3D ones :)

Yes - No one under any circumastances should make any effort to push the Jag's capabilities. :roll:

You know what.. this seems to be becoming something of an orthodoxy around here these days.

Personally I'd rather see all kinds of projects attempted, both larger ambitious projects as well as smaller mini or midi game projects. Surely there's space enough for both?

• Like 3

My comment wasn't directed to coders, but to gamers who ask again and again for 3D stuff on the Jaguar. If you want 3D, look at the homebrew scene on consoles where 3D is actually a strong point (PS1, Dreamcast) ; the Jaguar isn't well suited for that.

And there's nothing wrong with pushing the Jag capabilities. I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to create a smooth 2D game than spend a lot of time and effort on a 3D engine that's still going to have severe limitations on framerate, number of polys and texturing, compared to machines that have hardware 3D acceleration.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, tough.

• Like 2

My comment wasn't directed to coders, but to gamers who ask again and again for 3D stuff on the Jaguar. If you want 3D, look at the homebrew scene on consoles where 3D is actually a strong point (PS1, Dreamcast) ; the Jaguar isn't well suited for that.

And there's nothing wrong with pushing the Jag capabilities. I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to create a smooth 2D game than spend a lot of time and effort on a 3D engine that's still going to have severe limitations on framerate, number of polys and texturing, compared to machines that have hardware 3D acceleration.

I agree completly with you but it is still nice to dream XD

Edited by syntexerror

This is a reasonable outlook in my opinion. A similar way to look at it is that this isn't 1999--the Jaguar isn't the only powerful dead system on the homebrew chopping block anymore, so to say. There are far more powerful platforms available to play with now, with better development tools for the homebrewers. They have healthy communities and there is some amazing stuff being done on them on a larger scale and on a more frequent basis. If someone wants to try and get every bit of juice out of it and take a stab at some 3D games on the Jaguar, by all means go for it. If you think you can do it and that's what drives you, take a stab at it. I certainly won't complain! I believe some people tend to confuse the scene with that being the *only* purpose of it though, and that's dead wrong.

Keep in mind I'm not saying any of that has been implied in this thread--that's just my general outlook on the Jaguar as a homebrew platform these days and what I'd care to see as a gamer--fun games! :)

Edited by Austin
  • Like 4

Personally I'd rather see all kinds of projects attempted, both larger ambitious projects as well as smaller mini or midi game projects. Surely there's space enough for both?

There is absolutely space for larger, more ambitious projects. Mainly because none have come to fruition, and therefor have not used any space :cool:

Let's not forget the Cafepress mugs, they're important too! :)

• Like 1

There is absolutely space for larger, more ambitious projects. Mainly because none have come to fruition, and therefor have not used any space :cool:

Let's not forget the Cafepress mugs, they're important too! :)

Ahhh I see

Space... but not goodwill enough

The names and the orthodoxies change but the 'Community' remains the same

Edit: If someone is selling anything connected with AOP (cafepress mugs or otherwise) i'd really rather they didn't... i've not sold or attempted to sell anything connected with it.

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 3