IGNORED

Magnavox Odyssey "homebrew" game interest check

Hi, all, I was wondering how many of you would be interested in a "homebrew" Magnavox Odyssey game. The reason homebrew is in quotation marks is because there is actually no cart for the game. The game uses Cart #3 and would come with the following:

-1 or 2 clear overlays, probably like the kind used on screen projectors (haven't decided on how many yet)

-instruction sheet

-score sheets (haven't decided on how many yet)

-and a 17x4x1 inch box.

I just got back a quote from the box maker and I have decided on a price of $25 for all this.

So who here has an Odyssey and would be interested in something like this? (or if you don't, that's OK, but you still could play it if you downloaded ODYEMU.) The game I'm proposing to make would be for two players. This is NOT for the Odyssey2, I just wanted to make that clear.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on this. I plan to get all the stuff ready by this summer. What I'm not going to do, though, is special-order boxes for the game. I will however make sure the boxes I do get are big enough to put pieces of 8.5x11 paper in without rolling them up or anything, so anything you get will be in pristine condition. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the overlays still, they will probably be the same as overhead projector-type material. So once everything is ready, which I'm hoping to do by this summer, I will let you guys know.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, just went to Kinko's and had the overlays as well as the manual sheet and scorecards done. It cost a whole hell of a lot more than I had expected, but I still think I can pull this off with a $25 price tag. So now all I need to do is have the boxes done. I think the boxes will be different than all the other Odyssey boxes because I don't want to wrap up the overlays and make you unfurl them when you open the box up for the first time. I think I'll have the boxes be 8.75 x 11.25 x 0.5, just to make sure the paper and overlays will fit in there neatly. If the price changes, I will certainly let you know, but as for the next game, I am certainly going to do things more differently! I'm still aiming for a late June release.

• 3 weeks later...

my checklist:

Stuff I need to do before I can start a order thread.

#1 - find boxes

I am planning on getting at least a 8.5x11 box for the overlays. I need to go box shopping but I have been procrastinating. I don't want there to be writing (ink) from the stupid company that made the box on it (Duck, I'm talking to you! :x ) , just a blank, brown cardboard box. I shall try to do it this weekend.

#2 - copies

There will be a slip of paper that says something along the lines of "You have #__ of 20 of Dodgeball for the Magnavox Odyssey." This I can do at home because there will be only 20 of them on one sheet, and I will cut the sheet up into 20 pieces. Also, I need 20 copies of a surprise piece of paper for the game. This I will do sometime, too.

With all the overlays, instruction manuals, and score sheets done, as you can see I am pretty close to having this thing wrapped up. Once I do the things I need to, then I will start an ordering thread. Thanks for your patience, as late June draws ever closer!

Edited by atari2600land

Well, this is a picture of the box the game supplies will come in. It's 11.75x8x4.5, so it should fit in a large USPS flat-rate box. They only had 5 so I need to go back next weekend to see if they have any more! I hope you don't mind that at the bottom it says "OfficeMax" on it. And also, the slip of paper will say "#__ of 20 for the Magnavox Odyssey", not "Odyssey Emulator." I must have been thinking about my thread in the Homebrew forums about where I wanted to make an Odyssey simulator for the 2600. Since the box is 8 and not 8.5, the paper and overlay shall have to be lifted up somehow to avoid being folded somehow. I don't know why they couldn't have made them 11x8.5, since that's what most paper is!

post-9475-0-40378800-1307750282_thumb.jpg