IGNORED

Rumor: Wii 2 to be announced at E3

godslabrat

It seems like rumors are starting to mount about Nintendo announcing their Wii 2. Reading a few of these articles, I don't find the logic very compelling. "Nintendo will want to ride the momentum of the 3DS and announce Wii 2!" Um, no, if anything, they don't want to distract from 3DS right now. "Nintendo will update the Wii hardware because it's old!" Um, no... if it's selling and profitable, they won't want to touch it with a 10-foot pole.

However, as slim as the evidence is, the sheer quantity of rumors flying is enough to get my attention. E3 starts June 7th. We'll see.

I read about that. It's been silent the last few years from Nintendo so I have a feeling it will be true.

Nintendo can do whatever they want. They are the Disney of video games.

It seems they used to ride hardware for a long time but in the last 10 years they have changed. We see a new handheld practically every other year and now a new Wii?

Sure why not? Cause, "THEY WILL BUY IT!"

LOL...all the way to the bank baby.

We are Nintendo, what we touch, we sell so much! We're too much! Too Much!

e3-2010-miyamoto-interview.jpg

There is no way Nintendo is announcing anything this year and stealing the thunder from the 3DS. All their eggs are in that basket this year along with supporting the Wii and legacy support of the DS. There's no way they want people to hold on to their dollars in the wake of a new console announcement during 2011 instead of spending their money now on the 3DS.

I suspect we'll be hearing about the WiiHD around E3 or so in 2012 with a Fall 2012 launch in mind.

I think it makes a lot of sense, strategically, for Nintendo to be the first out of the gate with next-gen hardware. If they can come out with something that is clearly on the next level, something obviously beyond the capabilities of the 360 and PS3, it would really put the screws to MS and Sony. The Wii has made money for Nintendo hand-over-fist, and consequently they have a huge war chest to fight the next round of console wars, while the 360 and PS3 have only recently turned profitable. I'm sure in their skunkworks MS and Sony are drawing up plans for the next generation, but both companies have stated that they expect their current hardware to be viable for at least another 4 years (10 year lifecycle), and I think it's pretty obvious that they desperately need it to. If Nintendo presses their advantage and boldly steps into the next-generation, they would own it, leaving MS and Sony in very uncomfortable positions.

Regardless of how it plays out, IMO, it's time for the next generation. 10 years for a console generation is unrealistic. By this time next year, I think it will be clear that gaming culture at large shares in this sentiment.

There is no way Nintendo is announcing anything this year and stealing the thunder from the 3DS. All their eggs are in that basket this year along with supporting the Wii and legacy support of the DS. There's no way they want people to hold on to their dollars in the wake of a new console announcement during 2011 instead of spending their money now on the 3DS.

I suspect we'll be hearing about the WiiHD around E3 or so in 2012 with a Fall 2012 launch in mind.

I think you are mostly correct in your assumptions, but you've neglected the politics of the business. If anything, Nintendo will announce the Wii 2 at E3 this year, but only as a general announcement (probably without any prototype to show) that will be the first step in setting up expectations (and a great deal of hype) for the following video game conventions in the fall 2011 and winter 2012, both in North America and Japan. And then we'll see the real presentation of the Wii 2 at E3 2012, and the system will be released near Christmas 2012.

If the Wii 2 is designed to run all current Wii games, and if Nintendo has plans for deeper Wi-Fi features between the Wii 2 and the 3DS, then it would make sense for Nintendo to make an announcement at E3 2011, as it will help to boost 3DS sales for the remainder of the year.

It's all about the politics. :)

• Like 1

I really hope the next generation of consoles is NOT on its way. I'm very happy with my Wii and Xbox 360 at the moment and feel that there is simply too much life left in them to be moving on now. There are scads of 360 games I still want to play and I love my Wii. I just bought Kinect and that thing is the shit. If the next gen is announced, at least the game prices will start going down. I suppose if they do announce a new gen, it will be years before I pay any attention.

I really hope the next generation of consoles is NOT on its way. I'm very happy with my Wii and Xbox 360 at the moment and feel that there is simply too much life left in them to be moving on now. There are scads of 360 games I still want to play and I love my Wii. I just bought Kinect and that thing is the shit. If the next gen is announced, at least the game prices will start going down. I suppose if they do announce a new gen, it will be years before I pay any attention.

I agree too. Now that the trend is pc type consoles with but not limited to: online gaming, system updates, games patches, usb support, wireless etc this all adds a new life to a console. Hardware upgrades are not that mandatory anymore. A lot of ps3 buyers could not even cope with ps3 requirements (net connection and new tvs) or werent interested in blue ray.

First new technologies in entertainment have to be established and become cheap and mainstream.

Besides, games remain the same more or less with that dual shock controller since the sega saturn...

Look how long the rumors of the PSP2 floated around before the mention of the NGP (it was quite a while).

i do not foresee Nintendo doing anything new in the next year with the Wii, they might do a refresh (aka Wii HD or something similar) but not a totally new system (Wii 2), they are making a killing with the Wii, why would they want to change what is going so well.

It would certainly be interesting to see a Wii2 at E3. Certainly would be a welcome followup. But given the close release of the 3DS, I don't see them being too keen on stealing its thunder, nor the thunder of their upcoming Zelda title.

Moreover, this year is just a bit too soon. I'm thinking we'll see a Wii2 more like next year. If it's shown at all this year, I gather it'll be something very early on in development and probably just a video of some sort of tech demo and little else. But I don't figure we'll hear anything at all about it this year. Probably more upcoming 3DS stuff most likely.

So they're smart, successful and make tons of money selling ppl what they want?

Sounds about right.

Whats the matter? Oh don't get angry, I like Nintendo. :)

The only difference is Disney does not offer me anything that I want. I still like Goofy and Pluto though...

:D

They should get together like Square did and make a Mushroom Kingdom Hearts RPG or something....

Sounds about right.

Whats the matter? Upset? Oh don't get angry, I like Nintendo. :)

The only difference is Disney does not offer me anything that I want. I still like Goofy and Pluto though...

Upset? No. I get a chuckle at people who whine about large successful companies. Whether they be Nintendo, Disney, Microsoft, WalMart, etc..not sure why you have a beef with Disney if they don't offer you anything you want. They would if you had kids. That doesn't make them bad. Same for Nintendo. Not everyone wants hardcore graphics and complex games. Nintendo tapped those who don't. Made a pretty decent amount of cash doing so.

Sounds about right.

Whats the matter? Upset? Oh don't get angry, I like Nintendo. :)

Upset? No. I get a chuckle at people who whine about large successful companies. Whether they be Nintendo, Disney, Microsoft, WalMart, etc..not sure why you have a beef with Disney if they don't offer you anything you want. They would if you had kids. That doesn't make them bad. Same for Nintendo. Not everyone wants hardcore graphics and complex games. Nintendo tapped those who don't. Made a pretty decent amount of cash doing so.

Yeah I have a daughter so I went through the whole princess thing. Now she's into the Disney channel and bless her but those TV shows are the worst. Classic Disney I can respect but modern Disney not so much.

I'm not whining either. I make fun of them. I joke and put them down. Why not? I don't care for them at all these days. Not in the least.

Besides I'm also a rebellious anti-establishment type of guy. :P

I predict that following their success that the Wii 2 will be two N64s duct taped together.

Followed by a bunch of developers delivering .5 SNES results in their games and blaming their half-ass efforts on 'hardware limitations'

Edited by DracIsBack