IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 34: Scramble

Scramble

Player controls a spaceship that must infiltrate the enemy Scramble system in this side-view shooter/bomber classic. Player must destroy the Base at the end of the system.

Game Information

Game Name: Scramble

Released By: Konami, 1981

MAME ROMset: scramble

Dip Switches: Lives: 3

Chosen By: HatefulGravey

ROM Location: http://romhustler.net/download/mame/4164

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC World Record: 59,790 darthkur

Competition ends Sunday, April 3 @ 12PM EDT

Leaderboard

1. 65,580 jasonbar

2. 64,870 patbb

3. 25,100 chuckwalla

4. 23,900 LarcenTyler

5. 20,090 rmaerz

6. 18,990 mr. toast

7. 16,540 HatefulGravey

8. 15,710 roadrunner

Season Standings

Calculations through week 33

1. patbb 1469

2. rmaerz 1323

3. roadrunner 1054

4. LarcenTyler 361

5. FlyingTurtle 360

6. Zoyx 209

7. jasonbar 164

8. mr. toast 162

9. Dr Galaga 147

10. ClassicGMR 128

11. Rathis 75

12. HatefulGravey 38

13. LaserHawk 30

14. homerwannabee 20

15. 4Ks 18

16. chuckwalla 16

16. Mister VCS 16

18. riffraff 15

19. wizmo 8

Edited by rmaerz

This game looks like Super Cobra, plays like it too.

And you can add Cosmic Avenger to this list. Cosmic Avenger would be my favorite out of the three.

I've been taking a liking to this game. I played some more tonight but the ringing in my ears and other effects of having a partial seizure while playing (not due to playing) made getting past the red fireball stage impossible.

And you can add Cosmic Avenger to this list. Cosmic Avenger would be my favorite out of the three.

I've been taking a liking to this game. I played some more tonight but the ringing in my ears and other effects of having a partial seizure while playing (not due to playing) made getting past the red fireball stage impossible.

Wasn't Cosmic Avenger made by a different company?

Which one of the 3 was released first?

Cosmic Avenger was made by Universal in '81. Super Cobra and Scramble were made the same year.

Cosmic Avenger does have the sexiest cabinet out of the three. I always loved the artwork Universal put into their cabinets. Avenger is arguably the best out there.

It's interesting to compare artwork amongst manufacturers. Williams comes to mind as a company that didn't spend a whole lot of resources on cabinet artwork.

Cosmic Avenger was made by Universal in '81. Super Cobra and Scramble were made the same year.

Cosmic Avenger does have the sexiest cabinet out of the three. I always loved the artwork Universal put into their cabinets. Avenger is arguably the best out there.

It's interesting to compare artwork amongst manufacturers. Williams comes to mind as a company that didn't spend a whole lot of resources on cabinet artwork.

Thanks for the info. :)

Is Universal the same company as Universal Studios the movie company?

I wonder why they never released their games on a arcade collection disc for the PS1 or PS2?

I wonder why they never released their games on a arcade collection disc for the PS1 or PS2?

To my knowledge there is no relation. They made a lot of great games: Lady Bug, the Mr. Do! series and Cosmic Alien to name a few.

To my knowledge there is no relation. They made a lot of great games: Lady Bug, the Mr. Do! series and Cosmic Alien to name a few.

I've never played Cosmic Alien, i'll have to try that one out. :)

CRAP! You guys have been playing games I asked for and I haven't been here to play them. I must be a jerk. I'll have to get some scores in on this one tonight as the MAME machine has to come a part tomorrow for the trackball/monitor/light gun upgrade.

Sorry, but I hope you guys are enjoying them. This is one of my favorites.

Super Cobra was a 'sequel' to Scramble. Although there are notable differences like you're piloting a helicopter through a dangerous cavern/canyon trying to carry away the loot.

And Cosmic Avenger, that's one we should try playing sometime.

For the base I was not able to Bombed it. I don't think it's possible.

What I've did instead is to go completely at the bottom and shot at it.

If you do get it you don't even have to go up the "hole".

So if you hit the wall while going up you won't loose a life and you will get to the next level witch is exactly the same except for the fuel that is going down faster.

If you crash in the base you will loose a life and restart the stage ... this is how I lost my two last ships!!!

post-25394-0-15639800-1301527509_thumb.png

Edited by patbb

Hey folks:

I'm on the road right now and I won't be able to open a new HSC week topic at noon Sunday. So, I'm going to create the new HSC week later tonight just don't post any scores until after noon EDT Sunday and don't post any more scores to this thread after noon EDT Sunday.

Patbb, that's very sportsman-like of you to share your tip on blowing up the base. I *did* manage to bomb it once, but I also missed it many many times--if you miss, you repeat that portion of the game until you either blow up the base or your fuel runs out. You get only 2-3 tries before your fuel runs out.

Flying down to shoot it is a cinch! I even managed to get my ship out once after shooting the base. Not many points for getting it, though...

My new top score: 65,580. Made it to the 3rd round. Boy, your fuel really goes down fast on the 3rd round...

Thanks,

-Jason

post-13110-0-08204600-1301789419_thumb.png