IGNORED

Wich Unreleased game would you like to be ported on ColecoVision?

retroillucid

Wich Unreleased game would you like to be ported on ColecoVision?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Wich Unreleased game would you like to be ported on ColecoVision?

• Destruction Derby by Exidy
    • Rip Cord by Exidy
    • Tunnels & Trolls by Flying Buffalo
    • Tac / Scan by Sega
    • Chess Challenger by Fidelity
    • Horse Racing by Fidelity
    • Skiing by Coleco

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

But i voted for Skiing. (after a long hesitation with Rip Cord)

I felt the same way, and I also voted for Coleco Skiing. Seing the actual game in action, in first-person view just like it was portrayed in the mockup screenshot in the catalog, would be the final reparation of an unfair injustice that was done to us when we were kids, when we salivated while watching that fake screenshot.

If someone out there did Coleco Skiing, however, you can be sure I would be critical of anything I would feel is missing from the experience. For example, I would be disappointed if the trees alongside the track were simply animated like the buildings in Turbo, without the possibility of approaching alongside them as you drift towards the edges of the slope. Not sure if everyone else understands what I mean by that...

But i voted for Skiing. (after a long hesitation with Rip Cord)

If someone out there did Coleco Skiing, however, you can be sure I would be critical of anything I would feel is missing from the experience. For example, I would be disappointed if the trees alongside the track were simply animated like the buildings in Turbo, without the possibility of approaching alongside them as you drift towards the edges of the slope. Not sure if everyone else understands what I mean by that...

Yes, i see what you mean.. you mean than when you was child you was dreaming about the XBOX 360!! :D :D

I don't understand, you should really explain me

I started works back awhile on Skiing and would like it to be top-notch :)

Edited by retroillucid

I don't understand, you should really explain me

I started works back awhile on Skiing and would like it to be top-notch :)

Alright, I attached an image below which demonstrates what I mean.

Imagine you are in a corridor, with walls on the left and right side. If you stand in the corridor right next to one of the walls, you'll see something like the first or third image. If you stand in the middle of the corridor, you see something like the center image. Now replace the walls with a line of trees, and you'll see what I mean.

The idea here is that if the player moves all the way into the far left or far right edge of the slope, he should logically run into the trees. In a first-person view, that means adjusting the tree line animation according to the "strafing" position of the player.

post-7743-0-96192400-1301327370_thumb.png

But, does skiing was planned as a slalom game?

I'd say yes, although it's not clear from the original mockup that you're going downhill. But from the distance between the flagpoles, I'd say it's definately alpine skiing.

Anyway, I do really like your approach, as said I think using your method is the best way to get a great skiing game

Yep, although it represents a lot more work for the programmer. Double-buffering would be a must here. :)

To confess, I've tried to make a project like Skying with the 1st person view a few years ago, and before that I was thinking of doing the Skying game like in the catalog, but I've put everything aside for various reasons and I can't find anything back. I'm sure your version of the game will be better than the one I was expecting to do about 10 years ago now.

And I've voted for Chess Challenger (just in case you are wondering who is the one who voted for this) because it's almost a shame that practically all the game consoles and home computers of that time was capable to play chess, but not ColecoVision. I've already tried a few variants, and if I find a way to make a nice one myself, I'll give it a try.

Edited by newcoleco

And I've voted for Chess Challenger (just in case you are wondering who is the one who voted for this) because it's almost a shame that practically all the game consoles and home computers of that time was capable to play chess, but not ColecoVision. I've already tried a few variants, and if I find a way to make a nice one myself, I'll give it a try.

I knew it was you ;)

I should really buy that Chess Challenger "tabletop" and dump the rom file

Would be nice indeed to have Chess Challenger for CV

It was a tough call between Rip Cord and Skiing... but Skiing finally won out.

The Coleco made mock-up just amazed me when I first saw it and when the ColecoVision finally got a Skiing game from TeleGames/Terry Grantham, I was so disapointed. I must admit to having fun with TeleGames' Skiing during the High-Score Competition, but since that time the cart has been placed back in storage and will probably never see the light of day again.

On a side note, if I could vote for them all, I would... even Chess Challenger! This would be like the fulfillment of a "promise" that Coleco made to all of us that was never fulfilled but is being chipped away at little by little!

I wonder if like RK the one I know who worked already on a Coleco RipCord project will manifest himself or if someone else will just make one these days.

* warning - personal thinking and opinion *

I like that the game by far the most wanted by our votes isn't an arcade game at all. Even after all the threads about porting arcade games for the ColecoVision, it appears that it's not really what we should do all the time. Sure, it's cool to play these many variants of (almost only) dot-eaters and shooters but other projects like Tunnels and Trolls are also great for a game console.

Personaly, I would like to see more personal projects and it includes personal views of arcade classics, but also elaborated games that a coin-up machines aren't made to play them.

And what do we made so far to publish ColecoVision games? Coleco cartridges with extra ram to save game and continue later? bankswitching capability for bigger games? Isn't time that Coleco fans, programmers and artists think different and see all the capabilities a game console can provide? I think we are ready for more than arcade, to move beyond that restrictive point of view.

And what do we made so far to publish ColecoVision games? Coleco cartridges with extra ram to save game and continue later? bankswitching capability for bigger games? Isn't time that Coleco fans, programmers and artists think different and see all the capabilities a game console can provide? I think we are ready for more than arcade, to move beyond that restrictive point of view.

The WaferCart we're developping is made with that in mind, The save feature is something that needed to create more elaborated games, as well as bank-switching

I'm working on an original game, tentative name: Ninja Boy, wich is a clone of MegaMan game but also alot different incorporating gameplay from Kid Icarus & Metroid games

This is only in conceptual design right now with couples of mockup made but plans to use save feature and bank-switching

There's also the Super Action Racing games I'm working on since 2009 now, the graphics are pretty much done by now, but I do want to included some more stuff before going to programming

I want this one to use both regular controller and Exp Module #2 aswell

I'm also hoping to see more original games wich will be great :)

why not an implemented version of UTOPIA (Intellivision) with a solo-player option and new options like launch of unguided rockets and possibility to create forces to land to the enemy island ? the islands should be the same but with more "hexagons" and may be a second screen like SEA BATTLE (always for Intellivision) to destroy the enemy fleet and the ports where battleships start ?

A mix of a classic game, arcade, strategy, and..new ideas.

UTOPIA 2 ?

It is 2 years I stress Pixelboy to start his project...