IGNORED

run of bad luck

19Echo

first my 130xe dies (currently working on it)

Now i am having problems with my sio2sd.

was working fine. I turned it on today and the lcd displays no atari folder.

It then goes a green screen and says 0-3. when i type a number, it says sio error.

Any clues as to why this is happening? I dont recall unplugging it or plugging it with the power on.

I've also tried it with my other computers and with different power supplies.

any help would really be appreciated. :sad:

Do you have ISP cable for that ATMEGA32 chip on it?

You could reprogram it. Probably is the firmware defect.

Even without (un)plugging it, it can and will get broke from time to time.

As long as you are reprogramming, you should set fuse bits right.

I have been 'playing' around with this subject lately, and got a lot of support on this BBS, and from Hiassoft. I understand the settings now better.

I had this problems from time to time with my Sio2IDE. I hope, and expect, that these problems are gone now.

And about BAD LUCK... I know that... I once got 3 atari computers, 2 diskdrives, a PC, and a blackbox defect, in less than 2 hours. That kind of days don't make you happy.

The only person I know with more bad luck was Fox-1... He connected almost anything he had to ONE PSU from a fellow called TXG... after some serious lightning everything smelled like bacon, and all was broke.

That was in 1995... we are still making jokes of that.

Greetz

M.

what do you mean ISP cable?

Yeah, bad luck seems to follow. 2 Myide from classics ( 1 replacement because one had a bad chip) Ordered a new one thinking that my problems were solved. (same issue) Now cant get ahold of Steve....... Thats another story....

Now this crap.

Sucks when you spend your hard earned money on upgrades and coold gadgets just to have them sit there.

I guess i need to pull my name from that other IDE2.0 thing i was going to order.

I'm done ordering stuff just to see the shit sit there.

I'll post videos later

The first thing I would check are your power supplies, they may be failing.

If you are having more than one computer item problem, you may have bad power.

Bad power can damage devices even if you have good power supplies.

Do you have black outs or brown outs...lights seem to dim sometimes?

Even small power dips can produce large spikes.

I run my systems on UPS with line conditioning and don't leave them on 24/7.

The ISP cable is a cable you connect to your PC to program the chip in the SIO2SD. It seems like that is the problem with your SIO2SD. Like I was saying before, the MyIDE chips could get fried because of bad power. Maybe the SIO2SD chip was affected by the power too. What is the problem with your 130XE?

I found your post about your XE problem.

Edited by Defender II

thanks for the response. Do you know where i could get one of these cables and is that what the technical name of the cable is?

The power supplies are okay in the house. I have 3 different locations with pc's and atari's. all my atari's power up just fine and i've swapped all the psu's and they are checking out okay.

The myide's were just a separate issue that i needed to vent on ;) Ill post that video later....lol

That MyIDE problem is rather common.

In your interface there is probably an ic labeled: 74F245

Replace that one with a 74HCT245 or a 74LS245

Sijmen (Mr. Atari) told me that will work better, and he was right... it worked a lot better.

But...

I still have MyIDE interfaces from the first production run (made by Mr. Atari himself, without the Flash OS) with issues. I fix those issues by putting the shield back into the atari. Really strange solution... I never needed the shield back... but with failing myide interfaces it might be a solution.

The Sio2SD ISP cable is one you can make yourself. I don't have the information right here, but you will be LUCKY with Google :D

I don't know how electricity is organised in other countries, but I think it will be the same as here. What turned out to be a real atari and peripherals killer in my situation was this:

I had a PC with Sio2PC. This PC was connected to a power-outlet in the wall that had no earth-grounding. In the Netherlands we have two type of outlets. The ones WITH earth-ground-pins and the ones without. In the house I lived before I had a lot of outlets without those earth-ground-pins.

So I connected this Sio2PC PC on the outlet, and I connected my atari, sio2pc, blackbox, and a few other things too. I used this for months... no problems. But then it happened. I disconnected, and connected back the sio2PC cable, while everything was powered on. I saw and felt a little electricty shock and boom that was my atari, my sio2pc, my blackbox (which I could fix btw) and a few other things.

The reason this happened was that my PC was not connected to ground. Later I found out that when I put such a screwdriver that is able to find current (In dutch: spanningzoeker, transleted in something like currentfinder) to the case of the PC, the lamp in the screwdriver lighted on immediately.

Perhaps something like this is your case too? It's really something to look after.

Greetz

M.

p.s. Sorry for the English mistakes... this is a subject with words I don't know in English... I hope everyone understands everything :D

One more thing:

I have learned to accept problems like these from time to time. I have TWO atari setups.

Setup one is the setup where everything is stable, and works fine. I don't mess with that setup. It is the system I program with, and play cool games from time to time. It has the BlackBox, 576KB Ram, and Sio2IDE. It is a wonderful system, with a GOOD PSU (very important) and gives me all the Atari excitement I need.

Then there is Setup two. That is the setup where problems are allowed. There I test things... experience all kind of interfaces, exchange them a lot and all that. By doing that: things get broke sooner. But that is ok. I know that. It's part of the hobby, and by breaking things, you get a lot of experience in fixing things. It is really a part of the game. As soon as you have learned to "fix" your Sio2SD you will feel a lot better... you have learned to get control over your stuff.

Perhaps all this 'trouble' is not fun now, but it is a challenge to learn things about your so beloved atari equipment. I have had the most incredible, frustrating and stupid atari problems in the past, and probably in the future too. But it has never make me quit!

Greetz

M.

nice video :D

Yeah, i liked it too. I thought it was the best part ;)

@Marius

Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I'm not very handy at building something like that so i may just order one as i see them around ebay and other sites pretty cheap unless someone has one here that they can sell me.

What sucks about the myide is that i went thru about 20 laptop hard drives, 4 cf cards. 3 transcend modules, and another 25 3.5 inch hard drives. It does also have the updated chip. So i am a bit dissapointed in it. I am suppose to get another myide to replace the one i bought 3 years ago that "did" have the faulty chip in it, so we'll see what happens today when it arrives in the mail. I'm on a video posting spree so ill post the results on that one. I just wish products were thoroughly tested and restested and maybe retested again before your average joe like me pays for something like that.

When you keep having problems with the myide contact me. I have dealt with a lot of not working myide configs and fixed most of them.

Your atari has probably a pain-in-the-a** Mexico CPU. They s*ck bigtime and cause all types of problems. Myide could have built better ... But I would sooner blame the CPU made in mexico than the myide.

I am ready to assist you so keep me informed.

Looks like the MyIDE are probably functional, you should either swap the CPU or apply the Phi2 fix for the timing, which Marius mentioned above.

Pretty much any device you attach that depends on the address and data lines to be stable at the end of the o2 clock period is going to experience problems with that CPU installed.

This is the pretty much the same problem that SECAM Atari computers suffer from. The MyIDE circuit can be modified to accommodate such CPUs, which I will do free, but actually fixing the CPU problem will also cure it and prevent problems with any other devices you attach.

Steve

@steve

I'm going to improve my MyIDE Cart with a Ph2 fix. I'm just curious whether that interface will work on my failing atari's or not. If that works I'll post my results here.

The Sio2SD issues from topicstarter are more likely not caused by Ph2 issues btw.

Greetz

M>

The Sio2SD issues from topicstarter are more likely not caused by Ph2 issues btw.

I agree, but I am also very curious what would cause that, if other SIO peripherals are actually working OK.

Steve

Probably by wrong fuse settings. When brownout settings are wrong, firmware in Atmel microcontrolers go wrong all the time... that are experiences I read everywhere on internet (also in non atari related pcb's) so I suppose that's it.

I have had some issues with my Sio2IDE 3.3a interface, but since I set right fuse settings haven't have issues... I have to say: that was about a month ago I fixed right fuse settings, So i can not say it will NEVER happen again hehe.

Greetz

M>

so what exactly is a phi2 fix? where can i find any documentation on that? I still cant find any info on a isp cable for the sio2sd.

I've already gone thru 7 800XL's and 5 130XE's and many psu's but i'm willing to still try and get all this going before i just pack all my atari stuff and throw it back in the attic......

so what exactly is a phi2 fix? where can i find any documentation on that? I still cant find any info on a isp cable for the sio2sd.

I've already gone thru 7 800XL's and 5 130XE's and many psu's but i'm willing to still try and get all this going before i just pack all my atari stuff and throw it back in the attic......

ISP Cable (found via google search for "ISP Programming Cable"

http://ikalogic.com/isp.php

http://wiredworld.tripod.com/tronics/atmel_isp.html

"phi2 fix"

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/stabiliz.txt

Although some folks may have other suggestions on how to better deal with the problem.

--Kurt

If youve gone through 7 800XLs and 5 130xes, and NONE of them work right with that MyIDE, then it's not a PHI2 issue.

Maybe you are just expecting a little more from MyIDE than what it actually IS.. MyIDE is designed as a very inexpensive way to connect SOME IDE/FLASH devices to your ATARI, and if you are the type of person who is willing to experiment until you find a combination that works well, and stick with it, then it's a viable solution for some applications.

If you want a REAL IDE INTERFACE, then buy the new IDE Plus 2.0 from Simius. He's fixed the "connection standard" issues, and it should be an awesome product.

If youve gone through 7 800XLs and 5 130xes, and NONE of them work right with that MyIDE, then it's not a PHI2 issue.

Maybe you are just expecting a little more from MyIDE than what it actually IS.. MyIDE is designed as a very inexpensive way to connect SOME IDE/FLASH devices to your ATARI, and if you are the type of person who is willing to experiment until you find a combination that works well, and stick with it, then it's a viable solution for some applications.

If you want a REAL IDE INTERFACE, then buy the new IDE Plus 2.0 from Simius. He's fixed the connection standard issues, and it should be an awesome product.

I'll second that. If you've tried that many computers and the MyIDE still doesn't work, I've found throwing it in the bin to be an excellent hardware solution. I love the old IDE-only cart I use, but the new Flash+IDE one I bought just doesn't work, and I am NOT prepared to start Phi2 modding my already Phi2 modded machines to try and tune them up to an interface which still might not work properly. I've experimented with driver error correction, and this device is so way off in never-never land that the driver can barely even detect the drive, let alone read anything meaningful from it. If you have to resort to "magic" fixes like putting the shielding back on... well, as MG says - if you're into that kind of thing.

Get an SIO2USB , if you don't have one already, and start using those floppy drives of yours for some real Atari goodness.

Whats hilarious to me is that the folks at ATARI USER don't know the correct names of the products they review.

The SIO2USB is a relatively advanced (and expensive) device sold by ABBUC. Its a box that can connect to the SIO port and operate as a standalone storage solution, using commonly available USB flash media.

The AtariMax USB SIO2PC is a device that connects your atari to your PC via the USB port. Atari User reviewed this device (in issue 5), and referred to it as SIO2USB throughout their article. If you get on http://www.atarimax.com you'll see that nowhere does ATARIMAX refer to the device using this name.

This is potentially confusing as hell to people who may not know the difference, and are contemplating buying a product for one purpose or the other.