IGNORED

Altirra & MyIDE

Wrathchild

Hi,

I am trying to copy the 1st 16Meg ATR image from here onto a MyIDE partition within an image file created by the Altirra emulator (3000 Cyl 16 Heads 32 Sectors) using the 4.3i ROM.

By booting the emulator to the ATR (or another MyDOS disk) I am using the Duplicate Disk ('J') option to transfer the data with the IDE partition setup as disk 2. However following this I cannot immediately run one of the programs directly (e.g. D2:TAPPER) or if I boot the IDE partition as disk 1 then it fails to boot and crashes in Altirra. In this case it appears 'some' of the DOS is loaded but when it tries to jump to $1AE3 from $085E there is no code loaded there.

My feeling is it maybe some mixup over the disk settings, i.e. is the ATR seen by MyDOS as 'D' or 'H', and so when the MyIDE partition is booted it doesn't match the expected density?

Any tips as to a better way to do this?

Possibly the utility My IDE Drive Manager could be used to link directly to an image file in future rather than phyically attached devices?

Regards,

Mark

Just did a test with MyDOS 4.50 and MyIDE 4.4I. What's most likely causing the problem is that you have the disk SIO patch enabled -- this prevents the MyIDE OS drive emulation from working since the emulator bypasses the ROM OS and forces disk drive access.

Also, check the BASIC setting. The Option button is reversed in sense from the XL/XE OS, so the BASIC option must be toggled in the emulator, too.

Tried without the SIO patch this morning and despite this now taking 1.5 hours due to the ATR disk reading (I'll use Turbo next time ;)), the resulting MyIDE image still couldn't boot from the partition.

Use of the BASIC switch I understood already (with its behaviour inverted by the MyIDE O/S). But shouldn't this not interfere with the copying except for reducing the amount of data block that can be copied (i.e. due to lower MEMTOP if BASIC installed)?

I have Altirra-1.9-test30 and the 4.5i beta and 4.3i ROMS and so will need to give the 4.4i a try too. Also, disk has MyDOS 4.53/4.

One thing I did notice on the booting from the MyIDE partition within the Altirra console log messages was that each sector read was listed twice?

IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 0 (CHS 0/0/0).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 0 (CHS 0/0/0).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 1536 (CHS 3/0/0).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 1536 (CHS 3/0/0).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 1537 (CHS 3/0/1).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 1537 (CHS 3/0/1).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 1538 (CHS 3/0/2).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 1538 (CHS 3/0/2).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19576 (CHS 38/3/24).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19576 (CHS 38/3/24).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19577 (CHS 38/3/25).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19577 (CHS 38/3/25).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19578 (CHS 38/3/26).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19578 (CHS 38/3/26).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19579 (CHS 38/3/27).
IDE: Reading 1 sectors starting at LBA 19579 (CHS 38/3/27).
CPU: Illegal instruction hit: 9C27
(564015:311,  7) PC=9C26 A=07 X=11 Y=1F S=FB P=31 (     C)  9C26: 02               bad

The MyIDE OS reads each sector twice so that it can verify the read.

The BASIC suggestion was for the crash on boot/run -- as you say, it shouldn't affect the copy. The crash address of $9C26 is suspicious because the display list gets put at $9c20 by the OS if BASIC or another cartridge with an 8K window is present. The crash that you have is consistent with the CPU starting to execute the display list.

Can you try something for me? Hold down the Help button (F6) after restarting, and see if you can run the program normally. This disables the IDE emulation and will indicate if there is an OS configuration issue.

Also, something I just discovered: make sure that the debugger is disabled. There's a problem in the current code where a debug read to the data register has side effects, so if you have the debugger up, it may occasionally be able to screw up the data transfer.

Trying the new test33:

The crash address of $9C26 is suspicious because the display list gets put at $9c20 by the OS if BASIC or another cartridge with an 8K window is present.

I think this is just down to it being the first 'code-like' thing other than '$00-BRK' values from the call to $1AE3. With the new 4.5i beta rom the 'crash' screen comes up at $1AE6.

Can you try something for me? Hold down the Help button (F6) after restarting

Doesn't do anything for me? I can use Ctrl-Shift-D to disable the I/F and boot up.

I've put my image file here if that helps.

My IDE Drive Manager

I never could get that program to work. It crashed everytime i tried to open it.

You may have seen on the AtariMax forum that the author recently indicated that he would look into this.

You may have seen on the AtariMax forum that the author recently indicated that he would look into this.

I've been testing it as well on Win7 and I managed to get as far as MyIDETool merely claiming there wasn't an appropriately partitioned card in the reader. I hope the author gets the problems ironed out.

Another tool for MyIDE CF cards.

http://www.atarimax....=7&p=5617#p5617

Also CTRL-SHIFT+\ is the reset keys for Altirra. See the help file under the MyIDE section.

"Disk-based driver

Boot the MyIDE-OS loader disk and wait for the load to complete. Once MyIDE-OS has loaded, either use the Open Image... command to swap the disk in D1:, or eject the disk in Disk Images. Do not use Cold Reset (Shift+F1), as this will kick out the soft-loaded OS. Use Ctrl+Shift+\ on the host keyboard to send Ctrl+Shift+Esc to the emulation, which initiates a soft-cold-reset. "

Edited by rdea6

Ctrl+Esc is problematic to trap on Windows: it requires a low-level keyboard hook. That's why Ctrl+\ is aliased to it.

I took a look at the hard disk image and compared it to the MyDOS 4.53/4 image on Mathy's site. DUP.SYS looks OK, but DOS.SYS is very different, and more importantly, shorter. I was able to boot 4.53/4 and duplicate it onto the hard drive partition using the Duplicate Disk option, so I'm not sure what's going on here. You might try using Format + Write DOS Files instead, just in case there might be a problem with your boot disk that affects the duplicate option (far fetched, but we're running out of ideas here).

Ctrl+Esc is problematic to trap on Windows: it requires a low-level keyboard hook. That's why Ctrl+\ is aliased to it.

This is also why Shift+Esc doubles up as Ctrl+Esc in The Last Word. MyIDE's proliferation of system-wide keyboard shortcuts ballses up a lot of things... including LW.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my tool has been mentioned in this thread, I thought I should let folks know that MyIDE Drive Manager's issues with WinXP and unidentifiable drives have been fixed.

In addition I've added pre-release support for LBA/SDX partitions and for file image based operation.

Find the details here: http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1029&start=65

and the drop location is here:

http://home.kindredintellect.com/atari/MyIDEDriveManager/Pre

Always happy to hear feedback.

Grunty