IGNORED

Did anyone here stick with colecovision after the NES or...

When the NES was released, I immediately felt it was a true evolution of video gaming. I didn't buy a NES until several years later, but I played with it at friends every chance I got (and loved every minute of it, especially with games like Mega Man and Metroid).

I had an ADAM at the time, and I kept it until around 1988/89. So in 1985/86/87, my mind was on the NES, but my heart was still on the Coleco. :)

Hell yeah I did but I knew that the NES was better in a lot of areas. The Colecovision was good but I dont think a Metroid or a Zelda game could be done on the CV the way it was done on the NES. I was really amazed by the arcade quality of games on the NES. I played it a lot but didnt get one till around 1988 cause I liked my Colecovision and C64 a whole lot. In the end though, the NES had so many cool games I had to get one.

I did stop playing with my ColecoVision in 1987 when I got a NES, I played NES unitl the SNES came out, I also played SNES to death until 1994, and in 1995 I decide to get back to my beloved Colecovisiion, since then, I never stop playing Colecovision and still do

2011, ColecoVision is alive more than ever! :D

SHORT ANSWER : The original NES never passed the door here... we jumped right into the world of the SNES and almost nothing in between, except an Atari 2600 Junior.

ELABORATED ANSWER : I think the first game I've ever played for the NES was the eye-candy top-view pinball machine game on a special kiosk installed temporary at the mall. I was able to select any game I wanted but not knowing any of them I've selected the pinball one... I had only 1 chance to try it and I didn't find it extraordinary. The second game I've played for the NES was Super Mario Brother 3 at my cousins' house. My sister loved this game and wanted the NES console for christmas to play again SMB3, but I've convinced my father that the brand new SNES should be the next videogame console to buy... and we never regreted the decision. Countless of hours playing Super Mario World, and also my first time using a strategy guide to play a videogame just to find out the missing secret screen. Later, the day Mario All-Stars was available at the shopping mall, we bought the cartridge and the first game on it we played was... not SMB3 but the original SMB2, the lost levels, because of a contest for the ones who take a picture of the secret hidden level that only appears if you played the whole game without any warp. We reached the secret level the next day but never took a picture to prove it and try to win the contest... we just decided to play the other games.

When i sold my colecovision , the NES didn't exist yet (in europe) , it was in 1984 . I sold my colecovision to be able to buy a C64.

I became so addicted to computer than console didn't interrested me anymore.

I knew some guys who had NES in 85 and 86 , but i never been impressed by the game and never liked this console. I had more fun with my tons of game on C64. Super Mario was fun, but i had the Great Giana Sister on the C64 that i prefered. And the sound... arf.. it was so ugly on the NES compared to the sublime SID melodies of the C64...

Even nowadays , that i collect "all" console. I had some NES but don't like them. i prefer a lot the Sega Master System and the Atari 7800. For me the NES has no soul.

Never had CV in its heyday, although I longed for one. My family was poor and I had a VCS. That is, until my eyes spied the goodness of NES in stores in late 1986. It was the best thing I had ever seen. Got NES for Christmas of 1986 and never looked back.

These days, I have all the classics, including my original NES console and a Craigslist Colecovision. Both are great systems, and I would not part with either.

I had a 5200 & Colecovision and that was my latest and greatest stuff.. but I remember being in Japan in the early 80's and first seeing Mario Bros (not super) running on what I'm guessing was a Famicom. I was so blown away and lamented that these videogames were only available there and we didn't have anything like it in the U.S. Well, of course a couple years later, we did.

But all that being said it just shows how much at least in my mind how much more desirable the new video games were over the old guard. And yeah now of course I still play them all, but at the time, video games were always about the new and the Nintendo stuff was definitely new and improved. No way I didn't want it. :)

My first console was the 2600. My mom made it disappear a couple years after we got it, and I never had another console until I got a ps1 in the early 90s. But I did get my hands dirty with my ADAM and played Coleco games on it until it disappeared in the mid 80s when we got a new IBM XT.

I honestly was never even aware of the existance of the CV or the Intv.

I remember seeing the NES here and there, and periodically being able to play with friends. But I don't remember which games, as any play time was scarce.

Skip forward until about 2 years ago. I bought a nice NES from a friend. The only games I really enjoyed playing on it were the SMB games, though I don't have many games for it, so that's not saying much.

Less than a year ago, I got my first CV. Really enjoy playing it when I can. I think the games are very good, with lots of imagination and thought put into their development.

All in all, with my limited experienced, I think I'd have to lean toward the CV as the most fun of the two. By comparison, while the NES is technically superior, it does feel somewhat lackluster.

Edited by SlowCoder

Did anyone here stick by their Colecovision after the the release of the NES, or even CHOOSE to buy the Colecovision over the mighty NES?

I kept my original ColecoVision long after the NES was introduced. I played it until it died around 1992. Back then, there was no easy source of info or parts to keep it alive, so I gave it to Goodwill. Still kicking myself over that, since it was pristine, boxed, and perfect. But how was I to know?

I didn't like the NES back then, although I appreciate it more now. I went from the CV to the SMS, then to the Game Gear to I could play all of my SMS games portably. I can't tell you how many college friends were blown away by the Game Gear with SMS adapter, I used to have to kick them out of my apartment at 3AM so they would go home. They would fight over a chance to play...

Edited by akator

• 2 months later...

I dunno if this counts...but I was playing Colecovision in like 1989-1990 and maybe beyond until it broke.

It was my first game system...but it was a hand-me-down from my uncle when they moved away. He gave it to me in 1988 or 89 and I played it until it stopped working...then my cheap ass parents finally bought me an NES when I asked them if we could get the Coleco fixed.

I didn't even want an NES at the time...but they couldn't get the Coleco fixed and so over time I grew to love the NES. I only had SMB/Duck Hunt, Leg. of Zelda, Pinball, & Solomon's Key (my fav. NES game).

Thankfully..and unlike many posters above...I kept the broken Colecovision and Yurkie just fixed it about 2 months ago. It works now. Imagine that! I lugged a broken machine around through about 12 moves from 1990 until 2011 (21 years) and it finally paid off! :cool:

A close friend, who lived right across the street from me, had an NES so I had no real need for one back in the day. We'd go to his place to play the NES and come to my place to play Coleco, Adam, Apple II and PC games. Even when I got my Sega Genesis (on launch day), my Coleco games were still in fairly regular rotation.

Got my first ColecoVision in 1982 for Christmas, and put together a good sized collection of games over the years. Added an Adam in spring of 1985. In 1986 I think it was, got the NES for Christmas. The NES was the first case of a Killer App for me-- Super Mario Brothers. Once we beat that, we played a lot of Vs and RBI Baseball, and quite a bit of Mike Tyson's Punchout. But as prices were falling, I continued to add to my ColecoVision and Adam collections and focused much less on the NES collection.

The NES stayed, but was used very little after 1988. In Early 1989, I sold off most of my ColecoVision games in the local classifieds to buy a C-64 and a VCR. But I'd kept my Adam and my backup game collection! Still to this day, i have my original Adam, and it works just fine! :)