IGNORED

Where can I buy upgrades from?

Rachel-Emma

I was thinking about buying a 65XE/130XE and wouldn't mind modding one up but where can I purchase upgrades from?

Can anyone advise as to what the benefits would be and what the best computer is to upgrade?

Maybe someone has a spare computer that has been upgraded and modified ? :)

Edited by Rachel-Emma

You're going to get any number of answers... mainly because you're going to get any number of opinions.

The best upgrade base is a 1200XL. Everything can be neatly held inside the covers and the keyboard is excellent (after you fix it). All the chips are in sockets and the PCB traces are resonably robust.

But... how proficient are you at doing electronic re-work? How much time (and $) are you willing to put into upgrades?

And, just what did you have in mind? Which upgrades?

Bob

I was thinking about buying a 65XE/130XE and wouldn't mind modding one up but where can I purchase upgrades from?

Can anyone advise as to what the benefits would be and what the best computer is to upgrade?

You're going to get any number of answers... mainly because you're going to get any number of opinions.

The best upgrade base is a 1200XL. Everything can be neatly held inside the covers and the keyboard is excellent (after you fix it). All the chips are in sockets and the PCB traces are resonably robust.

But... how proficient are you at doing electronic re-work? How much time (and $) are you willing to put into upgrades?

And, just what did you have in mind? Which upgrades?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard there's a modification that actually improves picture quality - makes it much more clearer and secondly I would like more RAM. What other options for mods are there and what are the benefits. I am not very good at doing electronic re-work as I have never tried it myself but I do have a friend who is a wizard with that sort of thing.

Rachel

Edited by Rachel-Emma

The 65XE/130XE are mostly unsocketed and have motherboards which are easily damaged when soldering/desoldering components, so I would recommend staying away from these unless experienced at such work.

As Bob has already stated the 1200XL is an excellent choice, but can be difficult to acquire. Many(most?) 600XL/800XL circuit boards are socketed, better quality than the XE boards, and also a good choice.

I don't know about your shadow problem with your new 800XL, maybe adjust the color pot in a small hole on the bottom of 800XL.

My opinion, since I upgraded my original 800XL with a 256K Newell upgrade.... I almost never use the upgrade.

You can run 99.9% of NTSC programs with a 130XE, which I think you said you already have.

As for display upgrades, there are several, but there again, I don't see much wrong with the stock display, not counting your

shadow problem.

So, my recommendation... Get a SIO2PC or SIO2USB adapter, that I use a lot, I haven't used a real floppy drive for years.

my recommendation... Get a SIO2PC or SIO2USB adapter, that I use a lot, I haven't used a real floppy drive for years.

Yeah I've recently bought an SIO2PC from Atarimax but im having to ship it back tomorrow as i've 2 that have failed so far. I still use my 1050 Disk Drive. Something special about them.

I've started to write most of my games onto real floppies as well :)

my recommendation... Get a SIO2PC or SIO2USB adapter, that I use a lot, I haven't used a real floppy drive for years.

Yeah I've recently bought an SIO2PC from Atarimax but im having to ship it back tomorrow as i've 2 that have failed so far. I still use my 1050 Disk Drive. Something special about them.

Weird you would get 2 bad sio2pc from Atarimax, never had a bad product from him...

Weird you would get 2 bad sio2pc from Atarimax, never had a bad product from him...

try 2 Myide's

In this case the first one was actually damaged, not defective, a burned 22V10 gate (internally shorted to ground) on the Atari side.

I haven't seen the second one yet. If its the same thing I would say there is something electrically unusual going on with her setup, since these particular 22V10 have had an extremely low failure rate for me in this application.

Steve

Edited by classics

try 2 Myide's

There are a couple of suggestions in your video thread about how to repair the CPU timing problem with your Atari.

If you are unable to fix it and would prefer to return the items please e-mail me.

Thanks

Steve