IGNORED

Dos for atari 400/800

SmartDos -- probably 6.x. Last version that I heard about was 8.2.

BTW, I always liked the nice bright blue screen they chose. :)

-Larry

I'm just getting back into this too, and the thread jogged something in my memory. I seem to remember using a DOS back in the day that was made by Rana Systems maybe? Was that TopDOS?

Hmm,

does someone have the newest version 8.2 of SmartDOS ?!? Would like to see the differences to version 6.x...

-Andreas Koch.

SDX on 800? I don't know if that works.

SpartaDOS X minimal requirements is 48k to startup, but it will only leave about 24k RAM free out of that. So technically it should work, but would be useless anyway. If the 800 has an Axlon RAM extension, it should work almost equally well as on a 130XE. But the latest versions haven't been tested with such hardware, because 800s are quite rare in Europe, and I never heard of anyone having 800 with Axlon extension.

cool!

I was curious about this ability. I tried to use an SDX image in Atari800 emulator (2.2.1). It worked but I can't figure out how to enable the Axlon support. Atari800 tells me wrong memory size no matter what amount I choose.

The exercise is moot since I neither have an SDX cartridge (or SDX capable cartridge) or an Axlon upgrade for my 800.

Try atari800 -axlon0f -axlon 288

This makes 16 Axlon banks, i.e. 256 k ext. The fomula the emulator uses to calculate the number of Axlon bank is rather peculiar: the number you give, less 32 (!), divided by 16. The "less 32" bit does not seem to be mentioned in the USAGE file (command line options description). Then the result (the number of banks) must be 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 or 256, otherwise "Invalid Axlon total RAM size" appears.

I tried it out and I see that SDX 4.43 generally works correctly as long as you use a very simple CONFIG.SYS, such as:

USE BANKED

DEVICE SPARTA 10 8

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE RTIME8

Adding DEVICE RAMDISK here is asking for trouble. Also my regular CONFIG.SYS (which does not load the ramdisk driver) seems to cause weird problems. I'll have to look at this some time.

Edited by drac030

When I boot the Top-Dos image, it gets to the "Read Dup.Sys" message on my equipment. Then it makes a sound like it is searching for other drives and ends with a lockup. I tried this on a 256K 800XL and a totally stock 130XE. Does the same thing with both machines (booting from APE D1:).

I sector copied a real disk from the image, and it still does the same thing, even with the Omnimon XL replacement OS. I notice that on the d/l image Dos.Sys has 47 sectors. Other images for 1.5 have 37. The 89 sectors of Dup.Sys is the correct number for 1.5. Several other files on that image give error 164. I tried several other "tricks" to get the image to boot, but was unsuccessful. And the image cannot be verified as "good" with VTOCFIX.COM (from the MyDos 4.5 disk).

-Larry

It boots in A800. Need to check it on the SIO2SD. But it's v1.5! A couple revisions newer than my own copy. :)

SDX on 800? I don't know if that works.

Plugged it in and it works fine with 48K and Axlon RamDISK 128K - I like SDX better with R-Time 8 on my 130XE

My favorite DOS is 2.0D with a Corvus Systems 10MB hard drive :P

Now if I can just find that elusive Atari 815 Dual Drive...