IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Man, they must have not had a lot of stuff at the DAV when you went. The last time I went there, I found an Atari 7800, a 5200, a UMAX C500 Mac clone (like a lower speed version of the one I used to use), a Genesis with the Sega CD attached, and a bunch of Atari 2600 commons, and a few NES, Genesis, 32X, SNES, and SMS games behind the counter.

I sometimes go to that Irving Thrift. For some reason, I seen to stumble across Saturn games there. I've found only a few things of interest in that store, so I virtually never hit it. Although in all the baggies of stuffed animals that sit on top of the clothing racks, I found a few bags of Colecovision carts and TI Home Computer carts. But these are definitely not my usual finds there. I only find something of interest maybe one out of eight trips. Mainly, when in Irving, I hit the DAV. Love that place.

AKON was last week? I didn't know that. I went to one a year or two ago, it was pretty fun. I bought a couple DVDs there, then went to a Best Buy the next day and found the same DVDs a lot cheaper than what I paid for them. That kind of sucked.

Well, Bruce, since you've hit the Thrift Town that I was planning on hitting Tuesday, I'm going to have to find some more stores to go to! I might go to the same area I did the last time you worked all my favorite thrifts, i'll go up to Haltom City. Hope I find more than I did last time.

Went to a few thrifts yesterday,

first place I went had about 10 SNES carts but, the labels were faded on most of them and they were 3.99 each, I was gonna pass on them, but I did get Super Godzilla, the label was'nt too bad on that one. Also a 10" Chewbacca action figure carrying broken C3PO on his back, .99.

Went to the next spot, found 1 clean 2600 joystick .99, 1 Sega Genesis control pad also very clean .99, a orange NES lightgun .99, Game Boy travel case .75, and Star Wars Rebel Assault PC CD-ROM .82.

Last spot, found a NES power pad 3.99, boxed Ceasers Palace for Sega Genesis 2.99, and Ms Pac Man Sega Genesis cart 1.99.

Oh, and Saturday went to the flea market and found, NES 720 4.00, a bit high but I don't recall seeing this one around much. Also a Japanese Famicom cart 2.00, don't know the name but, it has mini gundams on it.

It works but the video suffers from terrible RF interference and the audio chanel has constant white noise - though the sound effects play. I'm guessing the RF modulator is bad or getting that way.

If it's an older TV, you can try messing with the fine tuning. If it's a newer TV, the fine tuning may be messing with you.

Another possibility is a bad RF cable - check it for any signs of kinking or pinching.

The RF modulator was out of tune. Fixed, after wresting the case apart, by adjusting a small trimmer on the RF modulator with a little screwdriver until the noise stopped and the video became sharper. If I'd had an old TV with manual tuning I guess I could have tuned it to match the CV, but I don't have one. The unit seems to work fine now.

Played Cosmic Avenger for a while using the stock stick and found it, well, annoying. Broke out my modded RSI stick and had fun for about an hour. Good memories. :)

Well, a couple of weeks ago I attended "Retrogathering 2006" here in Sweden. I had a great time and met a lot of nice people.

I just thought I'd show you all what I brought home with me from the RG :)

/Troop

Your 7800 came with Pro-Line joysticks? I thought the European versions of the 7800 came with those nice looking gamepads.

By the way, great haul you've got there!

Man, they must have not had a lot of stuff at the DAV when you went. The last time I went there, I found an Atari 7800, a 5200, a UMAX C500 Mac clone (like a lower speed version of the one I used to use), a Genesis with the Sega CD attached, and a bunch of Atari 2600 commons, and a few NES, Genesis, 32X, SNES, and SMS games behind the counter.

Why should I be listing all the stuff that I didn't get, especially three days later? I didn't see the 5200, but everything else was there, and I either didn't care or it wasn't worth what they wanted for it.

As for the light on my truck, I was planning on probably using some kind of silicone caulk, but I won't have time to do anything until the weekend. For now the wire is holding.

Today, I went to several thrifts near downtown Dallas, but came up empty at all of them (I almost bought a Commodore Plus/4 for $4.90, but didn't have any real use for it). My last stop was a gigantic Goodwill store in a really scary part of town, where I bought Dig Dug, Food Fight, and Ms. Pac-Man for the 7800, Galaxian, Phoenix, Mousetrap, Solaris, Midnight Magic, and The Empire Strikes Back for the 2600, and a boxed Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the SMS. They were all 59¢ each.

colecovision game find in the usa.....

all loose carts for sale i dont need them.... i think they are all pal but collectible...

Digivision: Voley/Megamania

JVP: Boxing

JVP: Tenis

JVP: Bobby Geit Home

JVP: Grand Prix/_ _ _ _ BOL?/Enduro/Voley

AUTO GAME: Sea Hawk/Enduro

AUTO GAME: Chuck N Hero?

I think this cart is atari computer

Activision Pitfall II

make me an offer any fair trade is up for discussion

neonesmaster@yahoo.com

ace

got a telstar marksman boxed with gun* and a boxed heavy 6er with 15 games 16.00 6er had no controler

with wooden game holder

all commons except mega force which isnt rare but...

gonna sell the sixer to my friend for the cost i paid 4 it. so in the end 1.00 for the coleco telstar

Edited by Dusk2600

not exactly thrifting..

but.. I came into possesion of an old 386 sx

so I finnaly got around to cracking open the case on the old girl and I discovered that the 'pooter had been upped to a 486sx, qith about 16 megs of ram.. my god.. it might have been running windows!

then..

I found its hard drive..

man.. this thing is HUGE!! its a friggen maxtor from 1985, it wieghs a good 5+ pounds, and has its own IDE controller card.. one of the cables.. just happens to be the same kind for an atari cart :ponder:

and then I read the head data sheet..

its capacity... 350 megabytes!

I turn to my wife and say.. "dear.. this is a hard drive.. this is the hight of hard drive technology in 1985.. this holds less data then a single CD"

I should've put the whole thing back together to see if it fired up..

as it is.. I know those drive platters are big glass disks. I wanna disect it!

man.. this thing is HUGE!! its a friggen maxtor from 1985, it wieghs a good 5+ pounds, and has its own IDE controller card.. one of the cables.. just happens to be the same kind for an atari cart :ponder:

That's not IDE. It presumably uses two cables, making it MFM or RLL.

They are most definitely not glass, for a good reason. Glass discs of that size would become serious shrapnel if the platter were to break. It's bad enough when a CD spontaneously falls apart at speed (that's why drives top out at 52x CD / 18x DVD), but glass would be worse.

Glass was only ever used on very small hard drives. I'm not sure if they use glass platters in laptop-size drives, but they do in microdrives.

found a coleco plug boxed for 1.00 (rare to find without a system esp at a garage sale) random old ladys house

halloween 1,2,3 box set vhs 1.00

TCM media variation

starwars

and 2 others 1.25 each

tommrow there r 4 different houses that have atari stuff 4 me post my finds 2morrow

resident evil 3 2.00

Free: Beta tape player

Edited by Dusk2600

They are most definitely not glass, for a good reason. Glass discs of that size would become serious shrapnel if the platter were to break. It's bad enough when a CD spontaneously falls apart at speed (that's why drives top out at 52x CD / 18x DVD), but glass would be worse.

Glass was only ever used on very small hard drives. I'm not sure if they use glass platters in laptop-size drives, but they do in microdrives.

yer right.. it was two cables hooking up to it.. socket types.. so its gotta be one of those types..

and I've never come accorss or heard of those types before..

thanks for the info on that one..

as for glass.. then what? pyrex? I've seen them old giant hard drive platters the size of coffee tables ( in fact.. converted over as such) what do you think is sitting inside this thing?

forchits and giggles heres a pic of the unit and its controller card

post-1956-1150498258_thumb.jpg

I found a second-model SNES with power supply and controller for $10. That's not as good as the boxed second-model SNES I found for $5 several years back, but it's good enough. And then I found a whopping 29 picture-sleeve 45's from the '80s that I didn't yet own. There will be some good Atari-era music playing in my house for some time to come.

yer right.. it was two cables hooking up to it.. socket types.. so its gotta be one of those types..

and I've never come accorss or heard of those types before..

thanks for the info on that one..

as for glass.. then what? pyrex? I've seen them old giant hard drive platters the size of coffee tables ( in fact.. converted over as such) what do you think is sitting inside this thing?

forchits and giggles heres a pic of the unit and its controller card

If it is 350mb and circa 1985, it wasn't MFM, and is unlikely to be RLL. It is more likely that it is a full height, 5.25", ESDI drive. I *think* that is the right letters.

I'm also surprised it is in a 386 that had been upgraded to a 486sx. It would be more common to find a drive like that in an old 286 or even a very fast 8088/8086/Nec V10. Um... "very fast" should be in quotes, I suppose.

I ran a BBS called the Amiga Archives on a 286 with a 180mb ESDI drive. The drive "fell off a dock" and cost me $200... which was a SCREAMING deal for a $800 drive. The controller was another $250. My board was elite. I had pretty much the entire collection of Amiga PD applications, as well as Atari ST, PC, and C=64 areas. I think all together this cutting edge technology, complete with a state of the art 2400 bps modem cost me around $2500, at the time... and this was a bargain for a system like that.

:)