IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Hey there is two reasons to go to Huber Heights, They have an awesome British store that sells all my favorite stuff from my childhood (I grew up in england, but moved to the us ten years ago)

I'll have to look for that store the next time I go to ohio.

It's on Brandt pike in the Marian shopping center which is south of I70 (right next door to a store called Vacs n more that sells used Video games for many systems, Nes/Snes N64, 2600 etc...)

Hey there is two reasons to go to Huber Heights, They have an awesome British store that sells all my favorite stuff from my childhood (I grew up in england, but moved to the us ten years ago)

I'll have to look for that store the next time I go to ohio.

It's on Brandt pike in the Marian shopping center which is south of I70 (right next door to a store called Vacs n more that sells used Video games for many systems, Nes/Snes N64, 2600 etc...)

I didn't know there was a used game store there. I'll have to check that out next time I go there. Are the prices reasonable ? Thanks for the info

The prices at Vacs n' Videos in Huber Heights are some of the worst i've ever seen, personally. Especially since the owner practically steals from people looking for trade-in credit. He'll give everyone this story about how "Well, i don't know....i don't really *need* it right now, i'm all stocked up...." Then give them 50 cents in credit and throw the game up on the wall for $40. I can't advise shopping there, but if you must check it out, don't get your hopes up.

The prices at Vacs n' Videos in Huber Heights are some of the worst i've ever seen, personally. Especially since the owner practically steals from people looking for trade-in credit. He'll give everyone this story about how "Well, i don't know....i don't really *need* it right now, i'm all stocked up...." Then give them 50 cents in credit and throw the game up on the wall for $40. I can't advise shopping there, but if you must check it out, don't get your hopes up.

that aint stealing.. it's glorified pawning ..

whenever you take anything to any dealer for resale.. they will fuck you.. its just simple economics.. its how the buisness works really.. some places are worse than others..

but never expect to ever get what you think something is worth.. chances are the guy allready knows what it is worth, and worth to him..

you do have the option of saying no and walking out

as always, to maximize profit, sell it yourself

On my way to Sal Val yesterday I ducked into a little shitstore junk collective (crappy swords and knives, "indian" dolls and feathers, those tiny fake roses that come in crack-tubes.) A friend had told me they had 2-in-1 NES/SNES clones for $29.99. Not a bad price if the mechanics are decent. What floored me was this-- they were selling (or, at least TRYING to sell) dirty, labels-torn, banged-up NES games for $10 A PIECE! ($5- if you bought the system.) I wanted Q-bert... but, not that bad!

$10! (I almost checked the floor for discarded roses!)

Nothing at Sally V's, either.

No worries... thanks to to the Gulag P.R. firm, I found out that my Neverhood PC game is worth $50. I feel like I owe something back, so here's a free jingle for RetroThing:

Retrothing... knows the coolest Crosby is Bing... Serve anacronism up w/ a Zing!... Exposing the truth like a decoder ring... It's RetroThing... Their crap don't stink. No! That's no good-- I'll NEVER GET IT!! NEVER!! (Slamming head on keyboard.)

Well, this doesn't apply to me so much as it does to suckers. I know better than to throw games away for "store credit". :) I was just putting a warning out there that the guy sucks to deal with on pretty much all levels.

oh yeah.. I just wanted to back up your evaluation ;)

Picked up at a local junk shop yesterday. I already had most of the games but I can't pass up a good local deal.

NES:

Double Dragon III

Operation Wolf

TMNT

Top Gun: Second Mission

Stealth A.T.F

VHS tape Super Mario Brothers

Edited by Wester

No worries... thanks to to the Gulag P.R. firm, I found out that my Neverhood PC game is worth $50. I feel like I owe something back, so here's a free jingle for RetroThing:

Retrothing... knows the coolest Crosby is Bing... Serve anacronism up w/ a Zing!... Exposing the truth like a decoder ring... It's RetroThing... Their crap don't stink. No! That's no good-- I'll NEVER GET IT!! NEVER!! (Slamming head on keyboard.)

Hey Night Driver - thanks for the good words, and the free jingle for our website at retrothing.com. Glad that you like the site - I do end up writing a lot of retro gaming posts, but I basically write about my thrift store adventures finding lots of gadgets. Oh, and nice to know that I have a PR firm now. ;)

On my way to Sal Val yesterday I ducked into a little shitstore junk collective (crappy swords and knives, "indian" dolls and feathers, those tiny fake roses that come in crack-tubes.) A friend had told me they had 2-in-1 NES/SNES clones for $29.99.

Is the NES/SNES the same one as I wrote about HERE on Retro Thing?

If so, $29.99 is a great price. The FC Twin does work really well, and for some reason around here there have been lots of SNES games at the thrifts for the first time in ten years!

Goodwill:

Sega CD Lunar: Eternal Blue CIB

Sega CD Lunar:The Silver Star CIB

That's strange? I also picked up my MINT copies of both those games at a Goodwill! at 5.99 a piece.

Still quite a score though.

Weird! I kept checking my goodwill for more segacd stuff through that week but that was all to be found.

Is the NES/SNES the same one as I wrote about HERE on Retro Thing?

If so, $29.99 is a great price. The FC Twin does work really well, and for some reason around here there have been lots of SNES games at the thrifts for the first time in ten years!

--------

I'll have to go back and look again. They SAID they were FC Twin, but didn't look as polished as what's on your site. Probably a ripoff of the ripoff. By "Robo" instead of Yobo, or something.

-UPDATE-

I was mistaken- I didn't know they had two different versions of the FC Twin. The $29.99 version ONLY played 16 bit SNES. The dual player was duel-priced:$59.99. Darn. I was all ready to buy one, too. I passed up on the $10 QBert, too.

Did find some good stuff at SalVal, though. (See below:)

Edited by Night Driver

NES Zoda's Revenge- Star Tropics II (.99) (The 2nd-to-last official NES release)

The Legend of Kage (.99)

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (.99)

Super Mario 3 (.99)

RoboCop 3 (1.99)

VHS Mystery Men (1.99)

Star Trek V ("What does GOD need w/ a SPACESHIP???") (1.99)

A Star to Call Home (Solar System Doc w/ L. Nimoy) (1.00)

Book The U.S. Guide to Surviving Terrorism (Chapter 3: "You're Fucked!") (.69)

Greeting Card "WWJD?" (Warm Wishes to Jeremy Darman?) (.10)

UPDATE

"Mystery Men" turned out to be taped over w/ a Western starring Sidney Pointier and Harry Belafonte, and some Steven Seagull birdshit.

Now... Where's that receipt??

Edited by Night Driver

I'm starting up another house flip....

the place has been abandoned for about two months now. and they left owing four months rent, and the place trashed

part of the fun of these places is the archeology of the crap they leave behind..

and I've come across some interesting crap..

this find has to be the most interesting :D

and oh yeah.. video game related, a game cube, and a playstation were left behind in the place..

but maybe I can plug the audio out put to this stuff here

post-1956-1175194770_thumb.jpg

I hooked my VCS to a PA before, and was almost slipped into hypnosis after a friend of mine rolled over Asteroids a few times. Lots of bass and that "Jaws"esque music. You can feel that shit in your chest, it makes hard to breath and it feels like your heart is beating wrong. Maybe we had to much amplification the the small size or the room?

I found a few things at different thrift stores last week:

NES

Adventures of Bayou Billy $2

Snes

Choplifter III $2

SMS

3D missle Command Boxed $2

N64

Paper Mario $4

Sega Genesis system $12.50

I also found but didn't buy

Colecovision

Frogger $5

Gorf $5

Qbert $5

Ladybug $5

Edited by fred

Not exactly a thrift store find, but it was even cheaper than any thrifts around here.

(NES)

Rad Racer

(SNES)

WWF Super Wrestlemania

Jim Power the Lost Dimension in 3D

Vortex

Super Nova

Earth Defense Force

All for the low, low price of $7.38. Feels like a FunCoLand haul, circa 2000, cheaper than any flea market or thrift store. I heart Game Crazy.

I'm pretty sure Paper Mario goes for $10-20 on eBay loose... nice find

I found a few things at different thrift stores last week:

NES

Adventures of Bayou Billy $2

Snes

Choplifter III $2

SMS

3D missle Command Boxed $2

N64

Paper Mario $4

Sega Genesis system $12.50

I also found but didn't buy