IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I swapped my regular SNES with this one and it worked perfect. What does the Red, White, and black cable do and is it safe to cut if needed?

post-22364-127212938253_thumb.jpg

post-22364-127212945137_thumb.jpg

Not sure what those wires do, but I would continue working in that regular SNES as best as you can. With some TLC, you could probably have a nice display there. Something like that might not cross your path again for awhile.

Today, I hit a going out of business sale (my favorite for old computers). Sure enough, I find some. I got a Compaq Portable III for $2, and a Generation Systems Machine. The GSM has a whole metric crapton of radio commercials. I need some help on the Compaq, click here if you'd like to help.

post-23072-127214448896_thumb.jpg

post-23072-127214452697_thumb.jpg

I swapped my regular SNES with this one and it worked perfect. What does the Red, White, and black cable do and is it safe to cut if needed?

Glad to see that it works for you. I'd have bought it off of you if you were interestd in selling it. ;)

I w0ould suspect that those wires might go to the reset button inside so that you don't have to touch the SNES unit itself to reset. Is there a button on the kiosk for resetting? Or perhaps there's an internal timer that automatically resets at intervals? Just some thoughts.

COngrats. I'm a little envious. ;)

Glad to see that it works for you. I'd have bought it off of you if you were interestd in selling it. ;)

I w0ould suspect that those wires might go to the reset button inside so that you don't have to touch the SNES unit itself to reset. Is there a button on the kiosk for resetting? Or perhaps there's an internal timer that automatically resets at intervals? Just some thoughts.

It resets on a timer. Also the sticker lies. The SNES works just fine (aside from the sound glitches) on a normal TV. I was thinking of selling it but wow it seems much easier to completely refurbish than I thought. Just some soap and water and a new bulb for the marquis. But yeah I'm taking this year off from garage sale hunting. I'm just going to give someone else a chance lol.

Edited by STICH666

It resets on a timer. Also the sticker lies. The SNES works just fine (aside from the sound glitches) on a normal TV. I was thinking of selling it but wow it seems much easier to completely refurbish than I thought. Just some soap and water and a new bulb for the marquis. But yeah I'm taking this year off from garage sale hunting. I'm just going to give someone else a chance lol.

Tired of being "Sumguy"? ;)

Nothing game related this weekend, but I did pick up a nice looking, black case Star Wars 8 track tape for a buck.

I'm still a sucker for Star Wars junk, despite the first three... the last three... the most recent trilogy. (Stupid Star Wars numbering :x)

Edited by Smatchmo

Basically :P

Basically :P

That was a great fine, change the bulb, Find a nice place for it, in your game room and Turn it on. :thumbsup:

Is it normal for the image to be slightly warped? You can see it in this pic. Also what bulb does it take and where can I get one. I know it's an 18 inch but what wattage.

post-22364-127217111762_thumb.jpg

Any Hardware Store, ACE, Home Depot. I don't know the watts, but shouldn't make that much difference.

Had a pretty good pickup this morning. Spent $100, but it was worth it. Details on my AA blog for those who are interested in such things.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/104/entry-7012-some-good-genesis-stuff-another-sega-cd-2600-and-a-cool-switcher-unit-from-craigs/

(I tried to use the blog link, but it got mangled.)

Thanks. Damn these things are expensive.

It shouldn't cost over $3 unless it's a weird bulb. A typical 18 inch fluorescent tube, though, should be cheap. Stay away from the local hardware store and go to some place that specializes either in commercial supply or lighting.

My finds today, all NES:

Silent Service in my Top Gun 2 box (I forgot it was there)

Willow CIB $10

Hogan's Alley CIB $4

Total Recall, cart and box, $4

and something that's probably worth more than Stich paid for his fluorescent tube:

Rad Racer, cart, box, and red-blue 3D glasses also $4.

I sold the carts back right away since I have them all loose. I guess Sumguy never thought to ask if he could open up the Rad Racer box.

Another slow weekend for games and such...

but I think this made it worth the driving around town...

Sega Dreamcast (in box, very nice condition, two controllers, & a memory card

House of the Dead 2 (with two guns)

The purchase set me back a shocking $5. The system is cheap regardless, but the guns are like $25-30 per gun. Needless to say, I was shooting a lot of zombies all day Sunday.

Sometimes it pays to show up at the end pof the tag sale, they were literally trying to give me half of the remaining stuff for free, but I didnt need a baby crib, bottles, humidifier, or diaper bags. Thanks for the game though!

This weekend was a bit slow here, bad weather and a bit chilly.

Found 4 GB Advanced games.

An Atari Branded Track Ball controller.

A PS, AV connector, and controller for a Sega Master System. (Just need the deck and gun now)

A competition 8-bit joystick, forget the name off hand.

Today I picked up 21 2600 games is really bad condition, most labels are trashed and there is a lot of mud to be cleaned. Would like to find a way to print original looking labels.

My son won the prize catch of the weekend, a near pristine SNES complete with a box of games, most notable was Super Mario World, Mario All Stars, Donkey Kong Country 2, and a few more. Cost him $15! Lucky kid. :-)

I got this today. Not a bad Craigslist haul for $25. No instructions or boxes in this lot. Some overlays. Everything needs some cleaning but the games all seem to work.

Both consoles need a lot of cleaning.

Intellivision III console non working and LED doesn't come on - maybe a power issue?

Intellivision I console works just needs some massive TLC

44 carts (some with overlays)

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons x2 (2 OL)

Astrosmash x2 (3 OL)

Backgammon

Baseball x2 (2 OL)

Bomb Squad

Boxing (1 OL)

Bump 'N Jump

Centipede

Defender

Dragonfire

Golf

Happy Trails

Horse Racing

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack (2 OL)

Las Vegas Roulette

Lock 'N' Chase (1 OL)

Microsurgeon (L+R OL)

Mission X

Motocross

Mr. Basic Meets Bits & Bytes

NBA Basketball

Night Stalker x3 (4 OL)

Sharp Shot

Skiing

Snafu

Space Armada (2 OL)

Space Battle x2 (2 OL)

Space Hawk (1 OL)

Space Spartans

Stampede

Triple Action x2 (1 OL)

Tron Deadly Discs x2 (2 OL)

Utopia

Vectron

Venture

World Cup Soccer

post-21025-127232646563_thumb.jpg

post-21025-127232646862_thumb.jpg

post-21025-127232647195_thumb.jpg

post-21025-127232647595_thumb.jpg

This weekends finds

NES games -

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Castelvania III

Bubble Bobble

Rad Racer II

Tetris 2

Venice Beach Volleyball

Paperboy (cib)

Wolverine (sealed in the box)

Sega Saturn games -

Sonic 3-D blast

Guardian Heros (No instructions)

Sega Genesis

Aero the Acro-Bat

Tony LaRussa Baseball

PS2

Kingdom Hearts

post-25647-127233587556_thumb.jpgpost-25647-127233572546_thumb.jpg

finds0410a.jpg

Everything in this pic cost me about $6 total.

Wild Arms PSX

Tomb Raider 2 PSX

Official Sony Memory Card PSX X2 (one has a Chibi Chan sticker from PSM magazine on it.)

Lunar Pool (NES)

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Ice Hockey (NES)

Jack Nicklaus Golf (NES)

finds0410b.jpg

This stuff was not a thrift find, but was so cheap that it should count as one. These games are all complete minus the outer cardboard box, and cost me $7 each from another forum. I am just starting to build up my TG16 collection after re-purchasing the system from MadHatter667 (thanks for the awesome deal!), and these are all solid titles than I'm excited to have.

Chris

I just got back from the local record store and found a few things. Everything pictured for $11.85. You may wonder what is so good about Devil's Advocate on DVD, did you know that the first version that came on DVD is out-of-print? It has a sculputure in it that Warner Bros. had to digitally alter in all further releases. Not bad for $3 on that - RARE, OOP, HARD TO FIND EBAY AUCTION!

post-4103-127234255729_thumb.jpg